Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-29-2010, 10:25 PM   #1
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Removing Series info

I've tried several things, and am probably missing something very easy. I have a Sony prs-650, and have through time found that I want to remove all the Series info from my epub files. I don't want the Series name nor the number at all.

I can load the epub files, select all and click the bulk "clear series" box when bulk editing, and they all disappear quickly. Then I can upload them to the Sony and they're gone. But when I re-convert the files and save them to disk for backup, then reload them, the Series info is still there.

I'd just like to remove all that info so it won't show up anymore. This is the only thing stumping me. Otherwise, love the program!
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:25 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
What do you mean 'reconvert the files'? What is the source for this reconversion?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 03:43 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
But when I re-convert the files and save them to disk for backup, then reload them, the Series info is still there.
This whole sequence is odd and needs to be explained in detail.

What/how is re-convert?
How do you save them to disk for backup?
How do you reload them?
What do you reload them to?
Why do you reload them?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:50 AM   #4
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Are you sure the series info is really gone on the Sony? I've noticed that when you delete books off the device, the collections folder remains even if it's empty. You have to manually delete the folder (either via the device or using the Reader Library on the computer or opening the drive folder).

I only found this out because I renamed a few of my series and the old series "collection" was still displaying, albeit with no actual content.

Last edited by library addict; 12-30-2010 at 04:53 AM.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:48 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you are using calibre's automatic metadata management, then calibre deletes empty collections. I think it also deletes empty collections when you use calibre to send and delete books, even if metadata management is not automatic.
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 10:37 AM   #6
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
This whole sequence is odd and needs to be explained in detail.

What/how is re-convert?
How do you save them to disk for backup?
How do you reload them?
What do you reload them to?
Why do you reload them?
Let me start here, and give some more basic info.

I have a lot of files, and it's not convenient for me to keep them stored in Calibre at all times. I have over 15,000 fanfic stories in epub format alone, let alone my Pro ebooks. Can't get them all into the Sony anyway even with an SD card, so I pick and chose what I'll put on the Sony at any one time.

I've found that having over 2,000 files in Calibre at any one time just makes things run slower. So I process the files in Calibre and load them onto my Sony, then 'Save to Disk' in what ever file folder they need to go into. Those are my 'base' files, and they get backed up every night to an external drive, backed up to a drive stored in my media safe once a month, and burned to DVD for permanent storage every time I think to do so. (I've been through enough had drive melt-down to be a bit paranoid. ; )

So I use Calibre to process the files and to load them onto the Sony. In between it sits empty.

Now, when I say 're-convert', I found out many, many versions ago that if I made a change in an epub files, say the title had 'teh' instead of 'the' (I'm a horrible speller and typist) that if I saved the file to disk the mistake would still be there unless I 'coverted' it from epub to epub before saving it to disk. Then the correction stayed. Don't know if that's necessary now, but it's an old habit from before that seemed to do the job.

So I'm trying to remove all the series info, because in the Sony it's lumping the series info into 'Collections'. I don't need to wade through over 900 listings in the collections folder because of the included series info. I can see the series info in my title. I just want to see included in the 'Collections' on the Sony the sort tags I use in the way I store *my* collections. (Murder, Horror, Erotica, Buddy, Scifi, Romance, SuperUrban, Fandomname-genre, ect. ect.) After loading the epubs I've processed before, and removing the Series info from that column, the collection number on my Sony went from over 900 to about 120. Much more managageable.

But now, when I remove the Series info, re-convert from epub to epub, then store the files to hard drive, empty Calibre out. Then later drag and drop them back in with the prefrence setting on 'Adding Books' to "Read metadata from file contents rather than file name" (because I do want to see my own covers and metadata) the old series names once again pop up.

The other thing I tried was to go into the plugins and Disable all the plugins under "Metadata Download Plugins" (since I don't want any metadata but my own anyway) and that didn't help.

So now I'm stuck. I don't know how to get ride of the Series info on the epubs for my permanent, storage copies.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:38 AM   #7
DuskyRose
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
If you are using calibre's automatic metadata management, then calibre deletes empty collections. I think it also deletes empty collections when you use calibre to send and delete books, even if metadata management is not automatic.
Where would I find the 'automatic metadata management'?

I can play with those settings, and give it a try.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:43 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Three things:

1) you can control what collections calibre makes on the device, which might be easier than messing with reconversions. Go to preferences -> plugins -> device plugins -> Sony, then empty the 'make collections from' box.

2) metadata management is set in preferences -> send to device. Note, however, that if you set it to automatic, then calibre thinks it is in control. For example, it will *delete* any collections it does not know about.

3) Check the setting of the config option preferences -> save to disk -> update metadata in saved copies. If you have cleared that option, then the metadata changes you make in calibre will not be included when you save to disk (which is what I assume you are doing to "store the files").
Old 12-30-2010, 10:50 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

I've found that having over 2,000 files in Calibre at any one time just makes things run slower. So I process the files in Calibre and load them onto my Sony, then 'Save to Disk' in what ever file folder they need to go into. Those are my 'base' files, and they get backed up every night to an external drive, backed up to a drive stored in my media safe once a month, and burned to DVD for permanent storage every time I think to do so. (I've been through enough had drive melt-down to be a bit paranoid. ; )
So Use the newish, Switch Library, feature and make 8 Libraries if that works faster.
Convienience! It is Calibres attraction
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:08 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Just curious, what version # of calibre are you using?

Quote:
I've found that having over 2,000 files in Calibre at any one time just makes things run slower. So I process the files in Calibre and load them onto my Sony, then 'Save to Disk' in what ever file folder they need to go into.
"Save to Disk" is the feature via calibre, correct?

Quote:
I 'coverted' it from epub to epub before saving it to disk.
So reconverting happens prior to using the Save to Disk feature to export your books out of calibre. Good.

Quote:
So I'm trying to remove all the series info, because in the Sony it's lumping the series info into 'Collections'. I don't need to wade through over 900 listings in the collections folder because of the included series info. I can see the series info in my title.
Go to Preferences - Plugins - Device interface plugins - Sony - Customize and remove series from the bottom box (see attached).

Quote:
But now, when I remove the Series info, re-convert from epub to epub, then store the files to hard drive
I know I keep repeating but you change your words. You are using the Save to Disk feature.

Do ensure that the following three settings are checked in Preferences - Saving books to disk area (see attached).

Save covers separately
Update metadata in saved copies
Save metadata in OPF file

Good Luck

Update:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
So Use the newish, Switch Library, feature and make 8 Libraries if that works faster.
Good idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	device_plugin.png
Views:	225
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	63788  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:20 AM   #11
DuskyRose
Guru

Quote:
Three things:

1) you can control what collections calibre makes on the device, which might be easier than messing with reconversions. Go to preferences -> plugins -> device plugins -> Sony, then empty the 'make collections from' box.
Oh, cool!

My version didn't have a tick box, but a text box with "Series, Tabs" and I've deleted Series. If that works, then I won't worry about the rest so much.

Quote:
2) metadata management is set in preferences -> send to device. Note, however, that if you set it to automatic, then calibre thinks it is in control. For example, it will *delete* any collections it does not know about.
Okay, that I'll have to experiment with later.

Quote:
3) Check the setting of the config option preferences -> save to disk -> update metadata in saved copies. If you have cleared that option, then the metadata changes you make in calibre will not be included when you save to disk (which is what I assume you are doing to "store the files").
I had it marked to update copies, deleted Series, reconverted, deleted, reloaded and the series info is still there.

I don't mind them on the screen, as long as I can keep the Sony from throwing them into Collections. So I can live with seeing them there if I have to.

Thanks!!
Old 12-30-2010, 11:23 AM   #12
DuskyRose
Guru

Quote:

Oooh, sounds yummy!

I have the version 0.7.35 loaded, and do find that I have trouble finding the new goodies. Usually I read about them here or stumble upon them.

Where would I learn how to do the switch to set up various libraries?
Old 12-30-2010, 11:25 AM   #13
DuskyRose
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Do ensure that the following three settings are checked in Preferences - Saving books to disk area (see attached).

Save covers separately
Update metadata in saved copies
Save metadata in OPF file

Good Luck

Update:

Good idea.
I did try this, and the Series information wasn't there when I reloaded the saved epubs. But is there any advantage to saving the separate OPF and Covers?

I'm kind of antsy about storing them as separate files, instead of one complete file. I move things around a lot, and don't want parts to get lost.

Last edited by DuskyRose; 12-30-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:16 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Oooh, sounds yummy!

I have the version 0.7.35 loaded, and do find that I have trouble finding the new goodies. Usually I read about them here or stumble upon them.

Where would I learn how to do the switch to set up various libraries?
The little arrow next to the Library Icon Gives hints and does it.
RTFM (The Help button: GUI section) and Release notes is what I do.

Really cool what you can do

In addition, there is 'Library', right-click options on 'Selected Books' (when there are multiple libraries?)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:45 PM   #15
DuskyRose
Guru

Quote:
Really cool what you can do
Thanks! Off to play with stuff!