Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-20-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
strangeseraph
Connoisseur
strangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enough

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Talking Bought yet another Kindle Book. I'm Doomed!

I'd better be careful how quickly I put books in my cart, or click that 1-click option. I need to keep an eye on the credit card.

First it was a matter of finding Kindle versions of all my favorite paperbacks. (J K ROWLING! HELLLLOOOO? Where's Harry and co?? ) But this book series I've started reading that I hadn't is good. I used to be afraid of buying books I HADN'T read because I thought it would be a waste. I'll probably stick to authors I know for now, but I feel once I'm bolder I'll get a bit riskier in my purchases.

The thrill of buying kindle books, using the kindle, and all that, I have a feeling I've found my new best friend. More importantly, I'm reading again! After years of my books sitting on a shelf waiting to be picked up, now I'll always have them on hand, at a moments notice, not collecting dust forgotten.

Kindle!
strangeseraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:26 PM   #2
duckeedoug
Zealot
duckeedoug doesn't litterduckeedoug doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
Be sure to check out all of the free goodies at the below link. All of the free goodies are in the right column. Amazon states that the offerings change hourly, they do change but not every hour. Also just check because every now and again the offerings in the right column might no longer be free for one reason or another. Just be aware prior to pressing the "1 click button":

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers...ag=dealnewscom
duckeedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #3
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by strangeseraph View Post
First it was a matter of finding Kindle versions of all my favorite paperbacks. (J K ROWLING! HELLLLOOOO? Where's Harry and co?? )
She's been against having her books in any ebook form for a long while, but maybe she's coming around:

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...33089668.shtml
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
It has been 8 months since the reports leaked that JKR was considering releasing the e-books and still no announcement. I wouldn't hold your breath.

I am glad to hear that you are enjoying your Kindle. It is a wonerful device.

Last edited by ProfCrash; 01-27-2011 at 11:34 AM.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
Quote:
(J K ROWLING! HELLLLOOOO? Where's Harry and co?? )
yeah, welcome to the ebook readers world and headaches! trust me it's even more frustrating when you see the ebook there, right there on the screen and next to it it says "this book is not available in your region"

otherwise, enjoy the beaut that's the Kindle!
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Harry may live in a magical world, but it ain't the digital world. There are tons of free or bargain magical books out there that will be new and interesting to you. The world is wide open for us ebook people. Enjoy!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:55 PM   #7
stargazir
Enthusiast
stargazir has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3
I would highly recommend satisfying your "buying urges" by fully investigating free books. I bought 350+ books from Amazon while on a recent trip to the US and they were all free. Once you are in any category of books you can search by price which will put all the free books at the top of the page. My biggest challenge now is that I still keep searching for books. I almost wonder if it would be better if the memory wasn't so big.
stargazir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #8
Nathan Campos
Groupie
Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX & Kindle (2011)
Yeah, buying ebooks today is so easy and addictive. I felt the same when I bought my Kindle DX, now I'm a bit more controlled
Nathan Campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:43 PM   #9
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
The best advice I received from one of the boards I frequent was after the one-click glow wears off (you are entitled to this for a couple of months) budget a certain amount every month and purchase a gift cert which gets applied to your account. Using this method has really helped me manage my book buying addiction better.

Once this gift cert is gone, that's it for the month. I typically get a $50 gift cert and right now that has lasted me about two months, haven't had time to really purchase anything new since I have literally a ton of unread books on my Kindle.

The other nice thing about the gift cert is it helps in all those $1.99, .99 charges from appearing on your debit/credit card. Just a suggestion and welcome to the highly addictive world of e-readers.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #10
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
I'd better be careful how quickly I put books in my cart, or click that 1-click option. I need to keep an eye on the credit card.

First it was a matter of finding Kindle versions of all my favorite paperbacks. (J K ROWLING! HELLLLOOOO? Where's Harry and co?? ) But this book series I've started reading that I hadn't is good. I used to be afraid of buying books I HADN'T read because I thought it would be a waste. I'll probably stick to authors I know for now, but I feel once I'm bolder I'll get a bit riskier in my purchases.

The thrill of buying kindle books, using the kindle, and all that, I have a feeling I've found my new best friend. More importantly, I'm reading again! After years of my books sitting on a shelf waiting to be picked up, now I'll always have them on hand, at a moments notice, not collecting dust forgotten.

Kindle!
I just sent you a P.M.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:37 PM   #11
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
You know, I was just thinking about how awesome the Kindle free sample feature is. Maybe getting a lot of samples can sate your impulse buying impules.

Do other reader/store systems, like the nook have all the free samples like Amazon?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:36 AM   #12
hedwig
Book Worm
hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPod Touch 5
I also love the "one-click" option!
Since getting my Kindle, the selection of books available to me has quadrupled (I live in a non-English speaking country with a limited number of 2nd hand bookstores) and it is like being a kid in a candy store.
I have now begun to budget though and limit myself to $30 a month. That way I won't get a shock when seeing the credit card bill.
hedwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:55 AM   #13
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Ah, yes. Most of the books I love most, and was keenest to (re-)purchase for reading on the Kindle, are simply not available to me.

Either they simply don't exist in Kindle format *anywhere* (e.g. A.S. Byatt's Possession, John Crowley's Little, Big, Timothy Findley's Not Wanted on the Voyage, Keith Roberts's Pavane), OR they are only available to residents of the U.S.A. (Marilynne Robinson's Housekeeping) or the U.K. (virtually everything written by Val McDermid).

On the plus side, Amazon is making sure I have much more of my paycheque left at the end of the month :-)
chamekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:49 AM   #14
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
The trick for me was to procrastinate on their one click offers.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:25 AM   #15
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamekke View Post
Ah, yes. Most of the books I love most, and was keenest to (re-)purchase for reading on the Kindle, are simply not available to me.

Either they simply don't exist in Kindle format *anywhere* (e.g. A.S. Byatt's Possession, John Crowley's Little, Big, Timothy Findley's Not Wanted on the Voyage, Keith Roberts's Pavane), OR they are only available to residents of the U.S.A. (Marilynne Robinson's Housekeeping) or the U.K. (virtually everything written by Val McDermid).

On the plus side, Amazon is making sure I have much more of my paycheque left at the end of the month :-)
There are ways around that. If you want to save cash I won't tell you how. (grins)

And trust me, it is not Amazons fault. They would love to sell you all the books that they have. It is contract law across verious countries and authors who sign with Publishers in one specific country so that their ebooks cannot be sold outside that country by that particular Publisher. It is a mess but there is nothing that the bookstores can do about it.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote