Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-28-2009, 12:31 PM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
MobileRead Unite! Create a Logo for DRM-Free(liberated) ePUB

This is a spin off of the thread
.ePUB extension should be reserved for non-DRM eBooks

The idea is to Brand DRM-Free ePUB to help reduce confusion on ePUB out there.

If a reader sees this ICON then they know this ePUB can be read on any device that supports ePUB.

Not having any graphic talent myself I'm asking the MobileRead community to participate and develop an ICON/Logo to brand the DRM-Free ePUB. This will help new readers and existing readers easily identify a DRM-Free ePUB.

BTW I would also like to call it "Liberated" ePUB.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
the text "ePUB" with an upwards-directed thumb in front? (yeah, not much of a graphic talent too )
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:10 PM   #3
DigitalFeonix
DigitalFeonix began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Um... look no further than http://threepress.org/epub/logos
DigitalFeonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:14 PM   #4
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFeonix View Post
Maybe it's just me, but those are really ugly.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:19 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good suggestions.

I was thinking along the lines if ePUB is going to be a world dominating format, we ought to create an Icon without using a language, but more of a universal graphic icon.

=X=
Old 04-28-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I was thinking along the lines if ePUB is going to be a world dominating format, we ought to create an Icon without using a language, but more of a universal graphic icon.
ePub in a nice, modern serif font with a globe inside (or instead) of the upper part of the "P" maybe?
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:37 PM   #7
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
maybe a lock that is open as part of the font styling?
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:38 AM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFeonix View Post
For what is worth, I already use this one for my ePUBs:

but it's not specific for DRM-free ePUB.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:31 AM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I already use this one for my ePUBs
How about the same logo but using the word freePub with the "fre" in outline only. The free refers to DRM-free, not necessarily no-cost, but I think people are used to different meaning of free these days. I also like .fpub for the DRM-free ePub filename extension and a freePub logo works well with that.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:40 AM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
How about the same logo but using the word freePub with the "fre" in outline only. The free refers to DRM-free, not necessarily no-cost, but I think people are used to different meaning of free these days. I also like .fpub for the DRM-free ePub filename extension and a freePub logo works well with that.
I think I can do that... if I find a matching font or draw an f and r

OK, something like this, maybe?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	epub-logos02b.png
Views:	594
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	28152  

Last edited by Jellby; 04-29-2009 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:20 AM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I think it should be explicit. Something like
Attached Images

DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:25 AM   #12
=X=
Wizard

Those look good.

Some of my ideas.
  • An open book with the globe of the world in the middle hovering over the book.
  • An open book with the liberty torch hovering over the book (aka DRM-free "Liberated" ePub)
  • An open book with a symbol that represents unity.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:32 AM   #13
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I first read it as a free ePub book with DRM...
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:47 AM   #14
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
How about these? Now with the real font (Steelfish).

I'm working with the SVG and I could do versions of the other variants too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	freepub-logos02.png
Views:	576
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	28160   Click image for larger version

Name:	freepub-logos02b.png
Views:	604
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	28161  
Old 04-29-2009, 12:17 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
How about these? Now with the real font (Steelfish).

I'm working with the SVG and I could do versions of the other variants too.
I think the word DRM is too small. I made it the size I did for a reason. Make one hollow and one black DRM and see what the response is.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote