Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-05-2012, 07:03 AM   #31
b0ned0me
Connoisseur
b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
Taking the "decades" view of the author,
That bit is such brain-dead drivel that I completely ignored it. Talking about 'decades' in anything business-related pretty much translates to 'the foreseeable future' or 'a few years'. A couple of poor business decisions by senior management, one rogue person in the finance department, a large mishap that attracts the ire of a regulator - the ways of destroying a multi-billion dollar business are legion, and that's assuming the whole product category doesn't become replaced by something else.
It could happen to Apple or to Samsung just like it happened to Motorola, DEC, Sun or any number of other fallen stars that thought they were bullet proof.
b0ned0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:41 AM   #32
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ned0me View Post
That bit is such brain-dead drivel that I completely ignored it. Talking about 'decades' in anything business-related pretty much translates to 'the foreseeable future' or 'a few years'. A couple of poor business decisions by senior management, one rogue person in the finance department, a large mishap that attracts the ire of a regulator - the ways of destroying a multi-billion dollar business are legion, and that's assuming the whole product category doesn't become replaced by something else.
It could happen to Apple or to Samsung just like it happened to Motorola, DEC, Sun or any number of other fallen stars that thought they were bullet proof.
But you didn't ignore it, you implied support for the author's original statement, then you asked who was in a stronger position than Apple. So I replied with my thoughts. Now you say it doesn't matter at all and "decades" really means "a few years". I'm thinking further discussion with you will be pointless.

For others that may still have some interest in this tangent, I'll clarify my reasoning. When Samsung produces a dud, and they frequently have (I'm not a Samsung fan), they not only have several other similar models to prop them up, they also have a huge variety of other products to keep them strong. If Apple produces a dud iPhone or iPad, they risk their entire mobile business collasping. Samsung is far from bulletproof, but still, they are simply not nearly as vulnerable as Apple, again, in my opinion. The diversity of their product offerings certainly makes a difference.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #33
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
If Apple produces a dud iPhone or iPad, they risk their entire mobile business collasping. Samsung is far from bulletproof, but still, they are simply not nearly as vulnerable as Apple, again, in my opinion. The diversity of their product offerings certainly makes a difference.
Oddly enough CNet was making that same point this week; they expect Apple will in fact be doing multiple sizes for phones and tablets real-soon-now.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...er-than-later/
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #34
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Oddly enough CNet was making that same point this week; they expect Apple will in fact be doing multiple sizes for phones and tablets real-soon-now.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...er-than-later/
Makes me think of this:
Quote:
Soon: Copyright 2004-2012 Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. All rights reserved. "Soon" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future. "Soon" shall make no contract or warranty between Blizzard Entertainment and the end user. "Soon" will arrive some day, Blizzard does guarantee that "soon" will be here before the end of time. Maybe. Do not make plans based on "soon" as Blizzard will not be liable for any misuse, use, or even casual glancing at "soon."
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #35
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Makes me think of this:
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?RealSoonNow

Quote:
In case you're not a computer person, I should probably point out that "Real Soon Now" is a technical term meaning "sometime before the HeatDeathOfTheUniverse?, maybe".
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert