Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #31
kaikara
Zealot
kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobertron View Post
I just noticed that there doesn't seem to be the airplane mode option. It is possible to turn the wireless off. Is this the same? The description says it will prevent the device from connecting without asking, but I assume it could still be scanning for networks etc. Presumably in a plane the wifi should be disabled altogether (and this would save power).

As an aside, I preferred the airplane icon to the wifi bars with an x over it (which, to my mind, implies that the wireless is active but not connected). But that is just nitpicking.
On the home screen there is a little gear that accesses the settings in the left top corner. If you click on it you can check and uncheck wifi on or off. Having it unchecked is the same thing as airplane mode and easier to get to to switch it on and off.
kaikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #32
yhamm
Zealot
yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanna View Post

I'm sorry to hear that. I still have all my stats because my Kobo synced to the Kobo servers before the firmware update. Yours would have as well. Have you tried syncing your device again?
I had a few borrowed library books on the go and those don't sync with the kobo servers because they are sideloaded. Thanks for the suggestion though!
yhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #33
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanna View Post
This sort of tracking isn't unique to Kobo. All ereaders and ereading apps do this. Have a look at this article - Your E-Book Is Reading You.
I know. It doesn't make it acceptable, however.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #34
vorchan
vorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Touch
This update completely messed up my fonts!

The weight of the fonts I've added is wrong, they're all to thin. Especially my favourite font Gentium Book Basic looks very wrong. The new font features (which allows one to adjust the font weight) seems to only work on the included fonts. Is there a way to fix this?

If not, how do I downgrade back to 1.9.17?
vorchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #35
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Strange. I too like Gentium Book Basic very much and did not notice an obvious change in the way it's displayed in kepubs...Could you post some pictures of what you get and, if at all possible, what you expect?

As to how to downgrade, a search on this very forum should get you there, but you'll need to get a copy of the 1.9.17 upgrade file.

François

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorchan View Post
This update completely messed up my fonts!

The weight of the fonts I've added is wrong, they're all to thin. Especially my favourite font Gentium Book Basic looks very wrong. The new font features (which allows one to adjust the font weight) seems to only work on the included fonts. Is there a way to fix this?

If not, how do I downgrade back to 1.9.17?
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #36
Boruteczko
Boruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
I know. It doesn't make it acceptable, however.
And despite of so many objections they make it even worse. Kobo developers are really listening to us.
Boruteczko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #37
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The added fonts look different, yes... Though I still like Charis SIL.

And what happened to the shortlist? There's still an option and the hearts, but I can't find the shortlist itself. Is it gone or does that have to do with the plugin (I had it installed - but so far, no other problems...).

Also I'm still waiting for "tap anywhere to go forward, swipe to go back".
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #38
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boruteczko View Post
And despite of so many objections they make it even worse. Kobo developers are really listening to us.
I doubt that the developers have any say in the issue. Management dictates what gets done, and they only care about the bottom line. If that bottom line says track users reading habits, profile them, then sell more books ... well, that's exactly what they're going to do. Your privacy is your issue after all, not theirs. If you're worried about your privacy, you shouldn't have bought the product (or you should disable those features).
Old 07-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #39
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Is there a direct link to the download. My Touch keeps throwing up network errors and I don't have the desktop software. (I'm running Linux these days.)
Old 07-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #40
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Your privacy is your issue after all, not theirs. If you're worried about your privacy, you shouldn't have bought the product (or you should disable those features).
Only that there was not tracking and advertising on my Touch when I bought it and that there is no build-in way to disable this "features"... And we were not asked if we consented ni being tracked, either...
Old 07-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #41
Boruteczko
Boruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
I doubt that the developers have any say in the issue. Management dictates what gets done, and they only care about the bottom line. If that bottom line says track users reading habits, profile them, then sell more books ... well, that's exactly what they're going to do. Your privacy is your issue after all, not theirs. If you're worried about your privacy, you shouldn't have bought the product (or you should disable those features).
Ok, management then - no difference in the end for us.
As far as I can recall, when I bought it there was no such "feature".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Only that there was not tracking and advertising on my Touch when I bought it and that there is no build-in way to disable this "features"... And we were not asked if we consented ni being tracked, either...
Well, I'm second and I second that.

Last edited by Boruteczko; 07-10-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Boruteczko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #42
Jaden
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
People who were using the plugin may experience problems that other people do not. During the beta testing, plugin users needed a factory reset. Uninstalling the plugin alone was not sufficient.
Is one of the problems not being able to switch dictionaries? Because I'm not able to do that and wonder wether I should do a factory reset or not...
Old 07-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #43
vorchan
vorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieGom View Post
Strange. I too like Gentium Book Basic very much and did not notice an obvious change in the way it's displayed in kepubs...Could you post some pictures of what you get and, if at all possible, what you expect?

As to how to downgrade, a search on this very forum should get you there, but you'll need to get a copy of the 1.9.17 upgrade file.

François
It appears to work as it should with kepubs, but with none of my epubs. Here is a comparison between epub
and kepub.

Last edited by vorchan; 07-10-2012 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Changed pictures to links (forum does not resize images)
vorchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #44
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
You always have the option of turning off WiFi, not buying from Kobo, and not doing a sync except as part of the update process. Kobo bases its recommendations only on what you do on the Kobo site and the books you buy from them.

Look at the current prices of ereaders like the Touch. Do you really believe that there will be eInk readers with new features and an improved reading experience if the people developing them can't also promote the purchase of books from them?

Kudos to the developers for taking the in your face selling part off of our home screen and for developing a desktop app where one click will remove the necessity of thinking about buying books from them from our field of vision.

Those are not marketing based decisions.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #45
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think if you add a book to the shortlist it creates a new shelf for you called Shortlist
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote