Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-10-2012, 02:41 PM   #16
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanna View Post
I have to say, I really love the new layout. However, creating shelves doesn't seem to be working for me. If it helps, my software version is the following:

2.0.0 (r41097, 7/9/12)
The "+" button to create a shelf seems to be a little tough to hit just right to get a response from. Keep trying and it should let you in eventually. Or are you having an issue past that point?

Last edited by robko; 07-10-2012 at 02:43 PM. Reason: missed a word
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #17
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
The "+" button to create a shelf seems to be a little tough to hit just right to a response from. Keep trying and it should let you in eventually. Or are you having an issue past that point?
Beyond this point. I get all the way to "create" and it bumps me back to the "add shelf" page and the shelf I tried to create isn't there. FWIW, I've tried: one, adding a shelf and hitting create; and two, adding a shelf and adding books to it before hitting "create". In both cases, the added shelf does not show up on the main shelf page.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #18
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Beyond this point. I get all the way to "create" and it bumps me back to the "add shelf" page and the shelf I tried to create isn't there. FWIW, I've tried: one, adding a shelf and hitting create; and two, adding a shelf and adding books to it before hitting "create". In both cases, the added shelf does not show up on the main shelf page.
Hmmm - both ways work on mine. That's weird. I'd try powering it down then turning it on and try it again, and if that didn't work I'd open a support ticket. Factory reset followed by reload of the upgrade would be another option, but that's somewhat time intensive.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #19
mdclements
Kobo Developer
mdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Hmmm - both ways work on mine. That's weird. I'd try powering it down then turning it on and try it again, and if that didn't work I'd open a support ticket. Factory reset followed by reload of the upgrade would be another option, but that's somewhat time intensive.
You could try signing out of the device as well. Not as big of a hammer as a factory reset.
mdclements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:21 PM   #20
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you, robko and mdclements! I opted to try signing out, hoping I wouldn't lose the books I'd sideloaded, but I did. The good news, though, is I can now add shelves! Off to add back my sideloaded books and organize my shelves!

My husband had the same issue as me, but now we have a fix!
Old 07-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #21
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
People who were using the plugin may experience problems that other people do not. During the beta testing, plugin users needed a factory reset. Uninstalling the plugin alone was not sufficient.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:23 PM   #22
Suzanna
Living in the past

What plugin, taming? The DRM one for Calibre?
Old 07-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #23
yhamm
Zealot
yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdclements View Post
You could try signing out of the device as well. Not as big of a hammer as a factory reset.
Quote:
Thank you, robko and mdclements! I opted to try signing out, hoping I wouldn't lose the books I'd sideloaded, but I did. The good news, though, is I can now add shelves! Off to add back my sideloaded books and organize my shelves!

My husband had the same issue as me, but now we have a fix!
I had the same issue and signed out. I can now add bookshelves but lost all my reading stats, recent reads, and bookmarks.
yhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #24
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDK View Post
Kobo Touch Firmware 2.0 and desktop 3.0 have been released.
• Get personalized book recommendations
• "Find books similar to the ones in your library
Ah, so it's continuing to spy on our reading habits. I'll pass. Nothing else in the update is worth putting up with that sort of crap.

EDIT: And I see that the desktop software defaults to the store tab rather than your library every single time you open it. If they're trying to make sure I never buy another book or reader from Kobo ever again, they're doing a good job...

Last edited by JD Gumby; 07-10-2012 at 03:41 PM.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #25
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was talking about the plugin people created to add features like shelves to the Touch. There is a very long sticky for it.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #26
Suzanna
Living in the past

Update - I plugged in my Kobo to see if the sideloaded books were still there and they were. Disconnecting the device (I was going to try rebooting it) triggered a "processing new content" message and all my sideloaded books were visible again. I'm very glad I chose to sign out - saved me a lot of work!

I'm just sharing this here in case others have the same issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhamm View Post
I had the same issue and signed out. I can now add bookshelves but lost all my reading stats, recent reads, and bookmarks.
I'm sorry to hear that. I still have all my stats because my Kobo synced to the Kobo servers before the firmware update. Yours would have as well. Have you tried syncing your device again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I was talking about the plugin people created to add features like shelves to the Touch. There is a very long sticky for it.
Hmm, I didn't have the plugin. Curiouser and curiouser!
Old 07-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #27
Suzanna
Living in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Ah, so it's continuing to spy on our reading habits. I'll pass. Nothing else in the update is worth putting up with that sort of crap.
This sort of tracking isn't unique to Kobo. All ereaders and ereading apps do this. Have a look at this article - Your E-Book Is Reading You.

Quote:
The major new players in e-book publishing—Amazon, Apple and Google—can easily track how far readers are getting in books, how long they spend reading them and which search terms they use to find books. Book apps for tablets like the iPad, Kindle Fire and Nook record how many times readers open the app and how much time they spend reading. Retailers and some publishers are beginning to sift through the data, gaining unprecedented insight into how people engage with books.

Last edited by Suzanna; 07-10-2012 at 03:47 PM. Reason: To add quote from article
Old 07-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #28
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Suzanna--it was not developed by Kobo--some techie folks played around and got some very nice features working that way. Several beta testers had it installed and then uninstalled it before doing the beta work. They ran into some problems that only a factory reset fixed. This does not mean that the same issues would come up now, but plugin users might want to keep it in mind before they assume the update is pooched.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #29
pdops
Zealot
pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.

Device: Kobo Touch
Liking the "Shelf' feature but it would be nice if entries on the Add Books screen showed if the book was 'Finished' or if entries in the main library had an option for adding them to a shelf.

I'm trying to move all my finished books to a 'Finished' shelf.
pdops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #30
scoobertron
Connoisseur
scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo touch
I just noticed that there doesn't seem to be the airplane mode option. It is possible to turn the wireless off. Is this the same? The description says it will prevent the device from connecting without asking, but I assume it could still be scanning for networks etc. Presumably in a plane the wifi should be disabled altogether (and this would save power).

As an aside, I preferred the airplane icon to the wifi bars with an x over it (which, to my mind, implies that the wireless is active but not connected). But that is just nitpicking.
scoobertron is offline   Reply With Quote