Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-13-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
"Books Don't Spoil"

I found this interesting blog post by Dean Wesley Smith:

http://www.deanwesleysmith.com/?p=1742

His premise is that the big publishing houses treat new books as perishable produce (with the required press to "sell now" before expiration) - while the reader knows books are not perishable and want to get the book at their leisure ... or when they want it.

Just a very good discussion on publishing.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:42 PM   #2
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
The idea of getting rid of merchandise once the initial rush of sales has faded to make room for what will hopefully be the next product with a rush of sales pervades the entire retail industry. Modern retailers don't give the north end of a southbound furry rodent about the needs of their consumers. All they care about are quick profits. It's called greed.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #3
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This part was interesting:

Quote:
Everything they do, their deadlines, their sales force, their printing schedules, their promotion, their warehousing, everything is set to having a book hit suddenly and then vanish, to be replaced by another and another and another.

This is called the “churn” in the publishing business.

It’s this “churn” of one book after another that makes a publisher money in the margin. It is how every single aspect of their companies are set up. Their business model is set on the churn.

Now comes electronic publishing and reading into this mix and churn doesn’t work. Books don’t spoil. But traditional publishers can’t imagine a business model without the churn, so for the longest time, traditional publishers have fought to do one of two things.

1) Keep the books they are publishing out of electronic versions to preserve the value of their more expensive hardbacks.

2) Delay or price very high the electronic books to also not compete against their hardbacks.

In essence, they have been treating electronic books just like their paper produce books. And that thinking is just flat wrong, which is why so many smart people are saying that traditional publishing is in trouble.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:00 PM   #4
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
The idea of getting rid of merchandise once the initial rush of sales has faded to make room for what will hopefully be the next product with a rush of sales pervades the entire retail industry. Modern retailers don't give the north end of a southbound furry rodent about the needs of their consumers. All they care about are quick profits. It's called greed.
Profits are how a business remains in business -- it's not greed, it's what enables them to pay their employees and keep their shareholders and investors happy. And if they don't have the newest latest book, their competitor will, and then they've lost business. And since physical bookstore only have a finite amount of space, it makes sense that they carry what sells. It's all quite logical.

BUT. I get so frustrated when I walk into a bookstore and can't find a book. I mostly read scifi, and the scifi section of my local bookstores are incredibly small. Nearly every time I go in there, I'm told "well, we can order that for you"... no thanks. I'll just order from Amazon and have it shipped directly to my house. And if I do that, it's just as likely to be a used book, so the publisher still isn't making money off me.

I think Print on Demand (POD) services could really change this. No, I don't want you to order the book for me, but yeah, I'll browse for 15 minutes more while I wait on my book to be printed. Back catalogs would always be available, and they don't need to worry about shelf space.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
...don't give the north end of a southbound furry rodent...
That was awesome! Please note that this will be plagiarized

As for the article, the very fact that an entire library full of books can now be stored on a single server is in fact a huge step forward in my opinion. Not to mention that these "missing" profits they are so worried about are money they were taking out of my pocket! No sympathy from me on that one...
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2010, 05:29 PM   #6
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
That was awesome! Please note that this will be plagiarized

As for the article, the very fact that an entire library full of books can now be stored on a single server is in fact a huge step forward in my opinion. Not to mention that these "missing" profits they are so worried about are money they were taking out of my pocket! No sympathy from me on that one...
Seconded. That was a great line!

Part of what they are missing is that no matter how well they promote a book, they can't get it to everyone who'll want it in that initial month. But patience certainly isn't a virtue retail has in stock either.
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:35 PM   #7
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I like the part where he compares the large publishing houses to the mega-cruise ships - simply unable to turn quickly. While the smaller more nimble boats around them are pretty much poised to rush in and meet the needs of the customers.

There has been more than one huge dinosaur of business go under because of their inability to change inline with their customer demands.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:57 PM   #8
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Wonderful article.

It doesn't mention one of the reasons publishers churn through books--US tax law changes a few years ago made it incredibly impractical to keep a backlog. They're now taxed on unsold books in storage, so the policy shifted from "keep a few flats of mid-list books so that if one turns unexpectedly popular, we've got it covered" to "print less so we can be sure to sell it *all* right away; if it turns out trendy, maybe we'll reprint."

That's not the cause of the trend, but it exacerbated an already troublesome set of business practices.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:14 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem is that the shelves in the bookstores only hold so much. But a shop online that sells eBooks has virtually unlimited storage for eBooks to be sold. That alone can make eBooks more valuable. And eBooks should never go out of print even though we know they do.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:24 PM   #10
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem is that the shelves in the bookstores only hold so much. But a shop online that sells eBooks has virtually unlimited storage for eBooks to be sold. That alone can make eBooks more valuable. And eBooks should never go out of print even though we know they do.
Harlequin ebooks go unavailable at the same speed the paper versions go out of print. Like comic books, they're expected to be fungible; nobody's supposed to care about any particular one. They expect three types of customers--those who want them all & would like to get each new one as it's released; those who want one occasionally, at random, with the belief that this month's is interchangeable with last month's, and entirely new customers who will hopefully turn into one of the other two types after getting a taste.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote