Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 01-27-2015, 09:57 PM   #871
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Yes, that's true. If I do a factory reset, I send all non-finished books. Plus if I have an unread book in a series, I usually send the rest of the series on.

I also use several reading lists and column icons based on the status. This makes it very easy to see what's what.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:19 PM   #872
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
Right, now that we're in the correct thread...

Thank you for clarifying that for me.

Just means that when I go to load my books on to my (still)-soon-to-arrive H2O, I need to add a temporary "ondevice" tag to the ebooks that are currently also on my glo, so I know which books to transfer. Easy enough.
What I did when I moved from my T1 to the H2O was to create a new library. I then use ondevice:true to get a list of all the eBooks. I them copied them to the new library. If you do that, you can then go to the new library and get the reading positions for all the eBooks you've started reading/have read and then send all of those eBooks to your H2O. You will also have the collections as you've defined them. That's why this way works.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:29 PM   #873
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What I did when I moved from my T1 to the H2O was to create a new library. I then use ondevice:true to get a list of all the eBooks. I them copied them to the new library. If you do that, you can then go to the new library and get the reading positions for all the eBooks you've started reading/have read and then send all of those eBooks to your H2O. You will also have the collections as you've defined them. That's why this way works.
I think a new library is overkill. My normal workflow uses a send-to-device reading list. As I get new books, or fiddle with the existing ones, I add them to the list. They get sent to the device when it is next connected.

What I would do is:

- Create a new send-to-device list for the new device. Set it to send on connect and clear itself. You will need to connect the new device to do this.
- Connect the old device and store the current reading status of the books
- Select all the books that are on the device and add them to the list
- Disconnect the old device
- Connect the new device
- When the send is complete, disconnect the new device and let it process the books.
- Reconnect the new device and restore the reading status
- Disconnect the new device
- Move away from the computer and read something

If you don't use reading lists, add a tag to the books on the old device when it is connected. Something like "copyToNewDevice". Then select all these and send them to the new device,
Old 01-27-2015, 11:32 PM   #874
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

I should add that someone did this by copying everything from the Glo to an Aura HD. That included the device database. They might have needed to modify the user table in the database, but I can't remember. From memory, the thread is in the Kobo forum.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:03 PM   #875
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
Hi, David!
All the time, the database check - and the database backup - worked well. There was no change in the firmware, reset or similar. However, in the last days, I always find this message after connecting the device to the computer:

Code:
calibre 2.17  isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.9
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM && Inept Epub DeDRM && Count Pages && Quality Check && Open With && Generate Cover && Modify ePub && Kobo Utilities && KePub Output && Resize Cover && KoboTouchExtended && Hyphenate This!
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre_plugins.koboutilities.action", line 1394, in check_device_database
  File "calibre_plugins.koboutilities.action", line 3140, in _check_device_database
  File "calibre_plugins.koboutilities.action", line 4365, in check_device_database
DatabaseError: database disk image is malformed
Is this dangerous? Can I do something? - Thank you for your help again!
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:31 PM   #876
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonatus View Post
Hi, David!
All the time, the database check - and the database backup - worked well. There was no change in the firmware, reset or similar. However, in the last days, I always find this message after connecting the device to the computer:

Code:
calibre 2.17  isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.9
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM && Inept Epub DeDRM && Count Pages && Quality Check && Open With && Generate Cover && Modify ePub && Kobo Utilities && KePub Output && Resize Cover && KoboTouchExtended && Hyphenate This!
  File "calibre_plugins.koboutilities.action", line 1394, in check_device_database
  File "calibre_plugins.koboutilities.action", line 3140, in _check_device_database
  File "calibre_plugins.koboutilities.action", line 4365, in check_device_database
DatabaseError: database disk image is malformed
Is this dangerous? Can I do something? - Thank you for your help again!
That's the error shown when doing a manual check database. Are you getting a similar error from the driver when you connect? If so, it is probably not correctly showing the books that are on the device.

In any case, the error says the database is corrupt. And, it says the database is in such a bad state that it can't be checked. Usually, you get "Ok" or a list of errors. With a corrupt database, the device runs from the in memory copy of the data. It just can't write any changes to the database. If you power off, you will lose any changes. This can be the status of the books you are reading, annotations, shelve or the latest books added to the device. In the last case, it will reprocess the books each time. And if the database is bad enough that the device can't read it, it will throw it away and take you through the setup process to recreate it.

The fix for you is to restore a recent backup if you have one. If you don't you will need to signout on the device. The device will restart, and take you through the basic setup process. This includes recreating the database and then processing your sideloaded books.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:22 AM   #877
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Update to Kobo Utilities plugin - V2.0.5 - Fix an options migration problem

I have just updated the plugin to V2.0.5. This is a small fix to the options migration. There are no other changes.

As usual, calibre will announce the update in the next hour or so.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:35 AM   #878
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That's the error shown when doing a manual check database. Are you getting a similar error from the driver when you connect? If so, it is probably not correctly showing the books that are on the device.

In any case, the error says the database is corrupt. And, it says the database is in such a bad state that it can't be checked. Usually, you get "Ok" or a list of errors. With a corrupt database, the device runs from the in memory copy of the data. It just can't write any changes to the database. If you power off, you will lose any changes. This can be the status of the books you are reading, annotations, shelve or the latest books added to the device. In the last case, it will reprocess the books each time. And if the database is bad enough that the device can't read it, it will throw it away and take you through the setup process to recreate it.

The fix for you is to restore a recent backup if you have one. If you don't you will need to signout on the device. The device will restart, and take you through the basic setup process. This includes recreating the database and then processing your sideloaded books.
Well, the device is all the time working without any issue; I wouldn't have suspected any problem without having done the "check database". Nevertheless, I remembered having tried to install Sergey's plugin some weeks ago - curiously without success. I desisted, removed the files that I had copied to the device and forgot about it. But there might have been something wrong.

Nevertheless, I'm inclined to wait with a reset or other changes until the next firmware update, unless there might come up some difficulty.

Thank you!
Old 01-29-2015, 07:01 PM   #879
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Well, the device is all the time working without any issue; I wouldn't have suspected any problem without having done the "check database". Nevertheless, I remembered having tried to install Sergey's plugin some weeks ago - curiously without success. I desisted, removed the files that I had copied to the device and forgot about it. But there might have been something wrong.

Nevertheless, I'm inclined to wait with a reset or other changes until the next firmware update, unless there might come up some difficulty.
I can understand that, but I would recommend trying to fix the database before the next firmware upgrade. With what I think is the current of the database, the restart needed during the upgrade is going to find the database is bad and take you through a set-up at that time. It's also possible the database is not corrupt enough to trigger this, but any upgrades to the database fail.

What I would suggest is that when you have a bit of time to spare, back-up the database and other files, or even the complete disk. Then power off and on again. The see what happens. Either the device will prompts to do the set-up, or it will start. If it starts, you can look and see if anything is missing. That is books, collections, annotations or the reading status. If you it prompted to do the set-up, you can restore the saved files and you should be back where you were.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:37 AM   #880
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
problem log

I've just tried upgrading and there was a problem - the system said it was uninstalling the utility and to post the log here
calibre, version 2.17.0
Spoiler:

ERREUR : L’installation de l’extension a échoué: Un problème est survenu lors
de l’installation de cette extension. Cette extension va être maintenant
désinstallée. Veuillez svp bien vouloir poster le message d’erreur détaillé
ci-dessous dans la discussion du forum relative à cette extension et redémarrer
calibre.

File
"site-packages\calibre\gui2\dialogs\plugin_updater.py", line 719, in
_install_clicked
File
"site-packages\calibre\gui2\preferences\plugins.py", line 414, in
check_for_add_to_toolbars
File "site.py", line 66, in
load_module
ZipImportError: can't find module
calibre.gui2.preferences.toolbar

Solved: I had upgraded calibre, but not restarted the system.

Last edited by anacreon; 01-30-2015 at 02:44 AM.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:45 AM   #881
Leonatus
Wizard

Sometimes it's a strange experience, how similar, despite of very different backgrounds, the structure of consideration can be. Overnight, I thought better, and, though not understanding every peculiarity of your advice, came to the same conclusion, even thinking of when I would have a little spare time to do this.

Personally, I thought of doing simply a factory reset; as I have all my books - except those that I'm currently reading - on the nSD card, I would only have to repeat the setting of my preferences thereafter.

What do you mean saying: "power off and on again", after only having backuped the hard drive? Without changing anything, the device still works well, so there is no guessing about strange reactions. And do you mean with "start" the regular booting process of the device, in contrast to a new setup?

"Restore the saved files" is copying them back to the database, right?

Sorry, but I haven't done such things ever.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:33 AM   #882
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sometimes it's a strange experience, how similar, despite of very different backgrounds, the structure of consideration can be. Overnight, I thought better, and, though not understanding every peculiarity of your advice, came to the same conclusion, even thinking of when I would have a little spare time to do this.
Finding spare time is always a problem. But, if you can plan ahead to do it you won't be rushing into it when it falls over at exactly the wrong time. Of course, this is one of those "do as I say, not as I do" things
Quote:
Personally, I thought of doing simply a factory reset; as I have all my books - except those that I'm currently reading - on the nSD card, I would only have to repeat the setting of my preferences thereafter.
A factory reset isn't a bad thing to do, especially if it is planned. I resets everything and rebuilds the database and everything.
Quote:
What do you mean saying: "power off and on again", after only having backuped the hard drive? Without changing anything, the device still works well, so there is no guessing about strange reactions. And do you mean with "start" the regular booting process of the device, in contrast to a new setup?

"Restore the saved files" is copying them back to the database, right?

Sorry, but I haven't done such things ever.
When you power the Kobo devices off, they save the current state to files and the database. If the database is corrupt, it can't do the save properly. It might save some of the data, and not save some other. When it is turned on again, it reads the files and the database. Depending on how bad the database is, it might start OK. But, it won't be able to read the data from the database properly. And because it couldn't save it before, the data it can read will not be what you had before. This usually means the last few things you did are lost. So, the reading status of the last books being read will not have been updated.

If the database is in a really bad shape, then when the device is turned on, it won't be able to read the database. In that case, it will remove the database and start the setup processes. It will prompt for the WiFi password, the user details and check for a firmware update. As part of this, it will replace the database with a new empty one. Then it will start up and process any sideloaded books. After that, you will be able to use your device. It will have lost all the reading statuses for sideloaded books.

A factory reset goes beyond this. If formats the root and books partitions of the device. Then it installs the factory firmware and starts the setup process. This is the same as above, but there are no sideloaded books.

I occasionally do a factory reset to test something. The last one was three weeks ago when the light in my Glo stopped working. I was hoping it was a software problem and the factory reset would reinstall everything and fix it. Unfortunately it didn't. But, I was able to get back to where I was with the books.

What I did was:

- Connect the Glo to my PC without calibre.
- Copied the contents of the Glo to a directory on my PC. If you do this on a Mac, make sure you get the directories whose names start with a dot.
- Disconnected the Glo and did the factory reset.
- Did all the setup and tested if the light was working. It wasn't.

At this point there are two choice: Get back to exactly the state I was in, or just reload the books. I wanted to get back to the state I was in, so:
- Connect the Glo to the PC
- Deleted all the directories and files on the Glo
- Copied the files I copied off the Glo back onto it.
- Disconnected the Glo.

And I was back where I started.

If I had just wanted to reload the books, I would have connect the device to the PC and used calibre to send the books to it. In your case, you are plugging the SD card in and letting them get processed.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:51 AM   #883
Leonatus
Wizard

Thank you for your exhausting explanation! I hope it may not be only to the benefit of me, but of many users.

So, hm, I gotta take the risk...
Old 01-30-2015, 08:16 AM   #884
Leonatus
Wizard

Haha, it went quicker than expected! I slightly remembered that there should be, somewhere on the computer, a backuped database from the times when there was no error message. So I copied it and replaced the present database on the device - including the zipped folder with the files "affiliate.conf", "KoboeReader.conf" and "version".

And voilà: After the processing done, I opened Calibre and made "check database" with the result "ok".

Thank you, David, once more!

P.S.: The settings remained as they had been, only in the books I had on the hard drive, I have to look where I had been.

May I utter a suggestion: Could the automatic storage of a corrupt database be suppressed? I was about to replace the present corrupt database by another that I had stored before at first.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:10 PM   #885
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Haha, it went quicker than expected! I slightly remembered that there should be, somewhere on the computer, a backuped database from the times when there was no error message. So I copied it and replaced the present database on the device - including the zipped folder with the files "affiliate.conf", "KoboeReader.conf" and "version".

And voilà: After the processing done, I opened Calibre and made "check database" with the result "ok".

Thank you, David, once more!

P.S.: The settings remained as they had been, only in the books I had on the hard drive, I have to look where I had been.
Good to hear it is working.

Quote:
May I utter a suggestion: Could the automatic storage of a corrupt database be suppressed? I was about to replace the present corrupt database by another that I had stored before at first.
The automatic backup copies the database to the disk and then does a check. If it is corrupt, it renames the backup file to have "CORRUPT" in its name. That file shouldn't be counted when the backup is working out if any files can be removed. But, I did make changes in that area recently and I didn't explicitly test that if there was a corrupt database it worked correctly. I'll have a look.

Tags
kobo, kobo utilities