Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-11-2010, 12:45 PM   #46
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
If you use 7zip you don't need to rename the epub to zip. This may work with winzip but I use 7zip.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:38 PM   #47
ttluisa
Enthusiast
ttluisa began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalimac View Post
Ok. Thanks for testing it.

If you rename the epub to zip and open it with winrar o winzip you can see how the trick works. There are 2 key files inside the epub:

- style.css
- DroidSansFallback.ttf

If you open style.css with a text editor you can see it points to the font to use (DroidSansFallback.ttf) . This file can be more complex defining things like margins and line height... If you put this 2 files inside any epub and then zip it again you can display chinese text.

Now here I attach another epub with Chinese, Korean and Japanese in it. It uses the same method but the style.css is more complex, with more parameters such as line-spacing, indentation . Please tell me how it works and if it looks good (I don't have a Kobo).

http://ifile.it/he87awg

EDIT: The file content.opf must also declare the location of style.css as in:

<item id="style" href="style.css" media-type="text/css"/>

Check the epub subforum for more info on embedding fonts
I tried some other Chinese epub file with embedded fonts and they just don't work. GOD I was perfectly fine without Chinese support on my kobo until I see this post and tried something don't work for me. Now I'm so frustrated...

This is the link of the Chinese font embedded epub that I tried that didn't work, can someone who has a clue with it please check it out and let me know what's wrong??
ttluisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2010, 01:54 AM   #48
chalimac
chalimac began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttluisa View Post
This is the link of the Chinese font embedded epub that I tried that didn't work, can someone who has a clue with it please check it out and let me know what's wrong??
I would check it for you but the link does not work. I think you must be logged in. Can you upload just the epub? I assume you are trying the 下载ePub格式[内嵌字体] version?

Last edited by chalimac; 05-12-2010 at 01:57 AM.
chalimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:18 AM   #49
chalimac

Quote:
I tried some other Chinese epub file with embedded fonts and they just don't work. GOD I was perfectly fine without Chinese support on my kobo until I see this post and tried something don't work for me. Now I'm so frustrated...

Ok. I think this is the book you want. Check if this works:

http://ifile.it/alz36e2

The problem might be the filename/metadata in chinese characters. This has the metadata in latin characters:

http://ifile.it/6yqc4na

Last edited by chalimac; 05-12-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:05 PM   #50
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

The problem might be the filename/metadata in chinese characters. This has the metadata in latin characters:

metadata and TOC are typically problems in that ADE normally does not use embedded fonts for those items.

Dale.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2010, 12:12 PM   #51
ttluisa
Enthusiast

Quote:

They both worked! The first one's title doesn't display properly in the book list but the second one with metadata in latin characters displays fine. Could you please show me how did you do it? Thanks!!
Old 05-12-2010, 03:44 PM   #52
chalimac

Quote:
They both worked! The first one's title doesn't display properly in the book list but the second one with metadata in latin characters displays fine. Could you please show me how did you do it? Thanks!!
Ok. Some steps:

1.Try simply renaming the epub you download from the site (embedded fonts version) to latin characters and see if this works.

2. If 1 does not work there is something wrong with the css or font the site uses. Do the following:

- Download the epub with no fonts embedded version.
- Rename the .epub to .zip.
- Open it in winzip or winrar.
- Open the file stylesheet.css in notepad and replace its content with:

Code:
@font-face{font-family:"Droid Sans Fallback";font-style:normal;font-weight:normal;src:url(DroidSansFallback.ttf)}
body{margin-left:5%;margin-right:5%;margin-top:5%;margin-bottom:5%;font-family:"Droid Sans Fallback"}
p{text-indent:0.25in;margin-left:0;line-height:150%;margin-right:0;text-align:justify;margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;font-family:"Droid Sans Fallback";font-size:100%}
.t1{font-size:1em}
- Get the file DroidSansFallback.ttf (It is inside the epubs I uploded) and add it to the zip archive of the epub you are fixing.

- If you want the metadata in latin characters open the file content.opf and change the title and creator tags(in bold below) to something legible as in:

Code:
<dc:title>BengKui</dc:title>
<dc:creator>Li Ximin</dc:creator>
- Rename again the .zip to .epub

It sounds complicated but there are only two key files in the epub the stylesheet.css pointing to a font and the font itself. Visit the epub forum for more info on embedding fonts.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:09 PM   #53
ttluisa
Enthusiast

Thank you very much. I figured it out somehow by comparing the deferences in the files you edited for me and the original one. I edited some by myself and they worked out fine. Thank you again. I'm so happy with my kobo right now!
Old 07-06-2010, 12:22 PM   #54
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Wifi
Does the new firmware help with support of international fonts at all?
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:05 PM   #55
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur
fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: kobo
With KoboBulkFixer (Option - Install Liberation font), we can have your kobo support other languages.
what we need to do is:
1) Replace the 4 ttf files in the KoboBulkFixer with fft file support your language, but have to keep the file name unchanged, that's:
LiberationSerif-Bold.ttf, LiberationSerif-BoldItalic.ttf, LiberationSerif-Italic.ttf and LiberationSerif-Regular.ttf.
2) Run KoboBulkFixer with option "Install Liberation font" checked.

note: if it doesn't show your language after the fixing, you need to check the epub file (unzip it), make sure the 4 .ttf files are in the same folder as the .css file.

Attached is the Chinese version of the KoboBulkFixer. two Chinese font file can be selected: SofiaSans.ttf and DroidSansFallback.ttf.
your can replace those 4 fft files with any of these two, currently, DroidSansFallback.ttf is in this <KoboBulkFixer_Chinese.zip>
Attached Files
File Type: zip KoboBulkFixer_Chinese.zip (8.35 MB, 526 views)

Last edited by fred_yu_job; 07-07-2010 at 02:12 PM.
fred_yu_job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:14 PM   #56
cancan
cancan began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
Hi everyone,

Im trying to read this chinese book i downloaded as a HTML in GB2312.
I first used Calibre to convert this into a epub.
I then followed the instructions here to edit the CSS file of the epub as well as adding in the DroidsSansFallback.tff from the ebook that was in the fileit link into the epub via winrar. However, after loading up the edited epub on my kobo, i still get the ????
i have tried several different fonts that should display GB2312 fine but still get the same result.
I have also tried the KoboBUlkFixer Chinese to the same effect of still getting the ???

i;ve attached the epub i created from the html.
would appreciate any advice that anyone could give.
thanks
Attached Files
File Type: epub 041 - Unknown.epub (1.27 MB, 199 views)
cancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:40 PM   #57
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur
fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cancan View Post
Hi everyone,

Im trying to read this chinese book i downloaded as a HTML in GB2312.
i;ve attached the epub i created from the html.
would appreciate any advice that anyone could give.
thanks
Don't know why...But I downloaded a epub version;
changed it by:
replace the file <stylesheet.css>, copied file <DroidSansFallback.ttf> into it. and it works.

here is the original book;
here is fixed one.
fred_yu_job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:08 PM   #58
cancan
cancan began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
Thanks thanks!

I've realised it too when i downloaded the epub version of the book instead of the html files.
Must be the encoding of the html files doesnt fit the fonts that i have tried to use it with.

hmm... although i am still curious as to why i cannot get the fonts when i convert from html.
for the time being before i solve the mystery i will just download the chinese books straight as epubs if i can.
cancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:12 PM   #59
jayupark
Enthusiast
jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kindle 3G, Kobo wifi
Anyone manage to get the Asian fonts working on the Kobo yet? I'm still waiting inline for firmware 1.9
jayupark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:48 PM   #60
AndrewH7
Enthusiast
AndrewH7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margok View Post
Hi,everyone ^^ I recently purchased kobo ereader and was pretty satisfied with it(despite the bad pdf,no search and highlighting), but I tried to upload a ebook in other language and it did not read it.
How come?
Is there anything I can do to change that?

I really don't want to return kobo, but it looks like I'd have to(((

Thanks for any advice.
Tested my Kobo Touch, & found that Rich Text Format *.rtf from WordPad not do the Cyrillic & Greek ABCs, but it does Latin ABC 1s such as ij ligature, w", dot-less i & o/' for Dutch, Welsh, Turkish & Swedish.
But 1other = *.htm, by using Outlook Express to write e-mail, then copy & paste Cyrillic & Greek to it, & then save as an *.htm file. (but it does not do the letters Nº 128 to 159. €  ‚ ƒ „ … † ‡ ˆ ‰ Š ‹ Œ  Ž   ‘ ’ “ ” • – — ˜ ™ š › œ  ž Ÿ
To view on Kobo chose Ryumin or Georgia typefaces.
AndrewH7 is offline   Reply With Quote