Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-25-2014, 08:58 PM   #1
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Overdrive comes to chromebooks

Here is the direct link to the app
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...hrome-ntp-icon

http://www.androidcentral.com/chrome...e-couchsurfing

Monkey check your audiobooks do they work now
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:37 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Here is the direct link to the app
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...hrome-ntp-icon

http://www.androidcentral.com/chrome...e-couchsurfing

Monkey check your audiobooks do they work now
Thanks

...but not as promising as I hoped for. It's similar to the Android app, but without Kindle support; though the Chrome browser supports Kindle. MP3 audiobooks are now covered, which is partially good news. The problem there is that MP3 audiobooks only make up 68~75% of a library's audiobook collection, while WMA covers the remaining balance. Hey, partial support is better than no support.

OverDrive has 8 book formats --> compatible -- not compatible

Windows OS -- Chrome Browser
  • Kindle eBook
  • OverDrive Read
  • EPUB eBook
  • Open EPUB eBook
  • PDF eBook
  • Open PDF eBook
  • OverDrive MP3 Audiobook
  • OverDrive WMA Audiobook

Android OS -- Android App
  • Kindle eBook
  • OverDrive Read
  • EPUB eBook
  • Open EPUB eBook
  • PDF eBook
  • Open PDF eBook

Chrome OS -- Chrome Browser
  • Kindle eBook
  • OverDrive Read
  • EPUB eBook
  • Open EPUB eBook
  • PDF eBook
  • Open PDF eBook

Chrome OS -- Chrome App
  • Kindle eBook
  • OverDrive Read
  • EPUB eBook
  • Open EPUB eBook
  • PDF eBook
  • Open PDF eBook

Last edited by tubemonkey; 01-24-2015 at 08:11 PM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:18 PM   #3
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
It is actually the android app running on chromebooks. Google has been slowly bringing Android apps to chromebook.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:22 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
It is actually the android app running on chromebooks. Google has been slowly bringing Android apps to chromebook.
I wonder why it doesn't have Kindle support like the Android app on an Android device?
Old 11-26-2014, 05:59 AM   #5
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Good news for audiobooks.

But one annoying thing for ebooks is that there's no way to maximise the app or make it go full screen, at least on my ARM Chromebook.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:23 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
But one annoying thing for ebooks is that there's no way to maximise the app or make it go full screen, at least on my ARM Chromebook.
I have the same problem on my Intel Chromebook (Acer C720).
Old 11-26-2014, 11:03 AM   #7
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Wow, very cool.

God I hate the Chrome Webstore.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:06 PM   #8
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
Google Play Store coming to (some) Chromebooks soon

Link

and here's the list of supported Chromebooks. My ASUS C300 is on the list (yay!). Sorry, Monkey, your Acer C720 does not seem to be.

Chromebooks that support Android apps

This is supposed to happen at the end of June, and there will be new models coming out that will have the Play Store by default.

I am hopeful that all my regular Android apps will work on the Chromebook as I love my $10 Moto E phone from Best Buy.
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 12:59 PM   #9
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
I got a Samsung Chromebook 3 several days ago as my laptop died, either power supply or harddrive.

Finally did some checking & selected "all apps" & saw many Google apps, including hangout+, maps & play. Selected Google Play & it ran. Will check to see if MoonReader will install/run. I installed/uninstalled Overdrive as I want to check if the library has the same app for Chrome.

Not sure if everything works & don't know if a new OS got updated sometime or that it was a Samsung mod. Maybe the Google Play app is legitimate & native version?
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:37 AM   #10
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrant View Post
Link

and here's the list of supported Chromebooks. My ASUS C300 is on the list (yay!). Sorry, Monkey, your Acer C720 does not seem to be.

Chromebooks that support Android apps

This is supposed to happen at the end of June, and there will be new models coming out that will have the Play Store by default.

I am hopeful that all my regular Android apps will work on the Chromebook as I love my $10 Moto E phone from Best Buy.
Thanks.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote