Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-24-2011, 05:30 AM   #1
luolin
luolin began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
going from 64 to 32 bit on MacBook

Long story short, I cannot get the library reader software to read on my MacBook tiger 10.4.11 64 bit...I have read the other recent threads, and I need to know how to download the software and to use this Prs-600 on my computer. I guess I need to do something with this computer (2007) to manually go from 64 to 32, right. I really like this reader, of course I have a lot of money invested into it. I t seems that you folks know how to do some of these adaptations easily. I am not as confident. Everything was ok until I had to replace the hard drive.
luolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Are you sure it is booting into 64-bit? A machine that old should not be doing that. You can check by clicking the Apple menu, then About this Mac, then click the More Info button. On the left window pane, choose Software. To the right, near the bottom, you will see 64-bit Kernel and Extensions. If 64-bit is enabled, it will say Yes. If it says No, you are booted in 32-bit and the Sony software should be working.

In the event that you are booting into 64-bit, all you need to do is hold down the 3 and 2 keys while the machine is booting (once the chime sounds), then release when the desktop appears.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:50 PM   #3
luolin

Here is what it is: System Version: Mac OS X 10.4.11 (8S2167)
Kernel Version: Darwin 8.11.1
Boot Volume: Untitled 1
Computer Name:
User Name:
So I don't even see 32 or 64. I did this procedure but from a link from Apple's forum and it said if I had a Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
then I had a 64 bit.
I agree with you, though. I will look again and see if this is a misread on my part but now I am really confused. I think I will download the calibre software and I will use the 3 AND 2 during startup. I will look through the old posts, I was dealing with this last night, or morning, and I fell asleep. I will write more after I further investigate.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:11 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
The machine is 64-bit capable, but back then there was very little software that would take advantage of that, so the machines booted by default into 32 bit. My iMac purchased last November boots into 32 by default. My iMac purchased in May boots into 64.

In your case, I wonder if the Sony Library is compatible with Tiger. Very little seems to be, anymore. That's why I finally retired my oldest iMac a few months back.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:24 PM   #5
luolin

Yes, when I bought the e reader, everything was working, and I think you are right, but their website says it supports 32 bit macs. I went to the Sony store in another town and they were nice but their expert in e readers was not working at that time. Have you tried reading a book on the I-pad? I will check the forum for that. I am now going to restart in 32 bit and see if I can get the software. Ta ta for now.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:33 PM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Here are the requirements for the Sony Reader Library, which says it should be compatible with 10.4.11.

Quote:
Mac System Requirements
OS: Mac OS X (32bit) : 10.6.2 or later, 10.5.6 or later, 10.4.11 or later

CPU: Intel, PowerPC G3, G4 or G5 processor

RAM: 128 MB or more

HD: 80 MB or more

Monitor: High Color or more, 1,024 x 768 pixels or more
Perhaps if you are more specific about your problem someone can better help you. Does your Mac recognize your 600 as a device when you connect by USB? Is it just the Reader Library which doesn't work? Is it running ok & just doesn't recognize your 600? Or, does Reader Library not even load properly and you have some strange behavior like only the menu bar showing?

Some people have had success just by changing the language preference to "US (computer)" under system preferences. You could try to remove and reinstall the software following Post #5 in this thread link.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78921
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:40 PM   #7
luolin

Ok, pidgeon 92, you are a genius. I did what you said and I got the software to download and now I am going to hook up the reader, and buy some books. So I guess, by default , this computer is a 64 bit. I seem to remember this but I did not understand. Since I replaced the hard drive I don't have anything in my library except what is on the reader. I had a back up drive so my assumption is that all the books that are not on my reader are in that file on the backup hard drive. I will also have to figure out that because the last time I checked I could not get those books, probably the same 32 bit thing.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:55 PM   #8
luolin

Bookworm_Girl: basically my computer is a 64 bit. I restarted it with the 3 and 2 pressed and I was able to download the software. In your post it does say 32 bit, so I am not sure why I originally download this easily after purchasing this product in Feb 2010. I know that they have done some things so I think that the new software is just not compatible with the 64 bit. I guess they, Sony Corporation, assumes that you can get your computer to do the 32 bit thing. Who knew, you can teach an old dog new tricks, and you certainly cannot teach a cat a thing. I am going to synch some books. thanks for your help. I will look into the language preference because I can read and write Chinese and I have those checked.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:05 PM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Glad you got it working, luolin! It appears that the difference is that you recently had a hard-drive replacement. While your computer processor is 64-bit capable (that's what the Intel Core 2 Duo indicates), the Tiger operating system when originally installed at the factory by Apple (back in 2007) was probably set to boot in 32-bit mode. That's why it used to work just fine for you. It sounds like when you replaced your hard-drive and OS X was reinstalled that it was setup to boot in 64-bit mode by default. Happy e-reading now that it's working again! Good luck getting your computer setup again. Hard-drive replacements are never fun. At least you have a backup of your files.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:37 AM   #10
luolin

Bookworm_Girl and pidgeon 92: Thanks for your help. I understand much more now. I downloaded some books and I will be happy reading for a while. Replacing the HD was a cinch. I like it when I do not have to depend on the "experts" to help me get things fixed. This forum is great.
Now when I restart my computer, and I don't need the library, it will go back to booting in the 64 bit, right? You know how they say a little knowledge is dangerous? I am thinking now to add some ram, I guess I have an empty slot or something like that.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:40 PM   #11
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by luolin View Post
Now when I restart my computer ... it will go back to booting in the 64 bit, right?
Yes - See http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3773 for info if you want to change the default setting...

(I suppose I should try my iMac in 64-bit at some stage - it says it supports it but I've not bothered! ... Did a bit more reading & it's not worth it for me!)

Last edited by gwynevans; 07-25-2011 at 04:50 PM.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:08 PM   #12
luolin

Wink Thanks gwynevans

I checked out those links and I understand more now about this whole bit rate thing.

Tags
64bit, macbook, prs-600