Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Adobe Reader Mobile 9.1 beta

As you might know, quite a few ebook readers run Adobe software. While this software is commonly referred to as Adobe DE, ti's actually Adobe Reader Mobile 9. (The PRS-505 might be the exception. It's old enough that it might be running an even earlier generation of software.)

A couple weeks back a contact with one of the device developers said that their reader was running not RM9, but RM9.1.Naturally, I wanted to know about the improvements, so I followed up with Adobe.

Here is some of what I learned:

Improved Dithering

Dithering is a step in the process by which the reader software takes a color image and displays it. RM 9.1 now provides the code to do this, so device developers no longer have to do it. Text rendering was also improved.

dithering (Wikipedia)

Accent-agnostic searches

The search function will ignore accent marks. For example, if you search for facade, the previous search would have missed façade.

New APIs for link enablement

What Adobe actually added was link disablement. Most ebook readers do not have a web connection, so an external link (to a website, for example) is of no use. The new code will give developers the option of having that external link appear as text, not a link.

Support for password-protected PDFs

According to the FAQ, RM9 already supported this. But is listed as an improvement, so I include it here. This support is only for PDFs created with Acrobat 7 or before. Acrobat 9 is explicitly not supported.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:37 PM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Guess we'll still suffer the page numbers for a while.....
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 07:05 AM   #3
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
What do you mean?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:56 AM   #4
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate
Support for password-protected PDFs

According to the FAQ, RM9 already supported this. But is listed as an improvement, so I include it here. This support is only for PDFs created with Acrobat 7 or before. Acrobat 9 is explicitly not supported.

We supported PDFs with a "permission" password, but not an "open" password. We now support documents with an "open" password. In addition we also added support for AES-128 (first supported in Acrobat 7). We did not however add support for AES-256 (first supported in Acrobat 9).
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:45 PM   #5
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
What do you mean?
Most ebook readers that use Adobe software for their epub rendering have odd page quirks. First off, 1 screen isn't equal to 1 page. Due to this, you can have more than one page on a screen at a time, and these pages have their page numbers marked on screen on the right hand side. Really kind of annoying.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2009, 04:43 AM   #6
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Most ebook readers that use Adobe software for their epub rendering have odd page quirks. First off, 1 screen isn't equal to 1 page. Due to this, you can have more than one page on a screen at a time, and these pages have their page numbers marked on screen on the right hand side. Really kind of annoying.
I like it. Especially how sony's reader displays it in a rather fine, unobtrusive font and manner.

Still it definitely needs to be configurable. I cannot understand why eBook reader device software remains trapped in the stone age of software design and development. Slow screens don't necessitate idiotic 1970's user experience design.
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:28 PM   #7
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheryjensen View Post
I like it. Especially how sony's reader displays it in a rather fine, unobtrusive font and manner.

Still it definitely needs to be configurable. I cannot understand why eBook reader device software remains trapped in the stone age of software design and development. Slow screens don't necessitate idiotic 1970's user experience design.
I don't like it because it sometimes IS in the way, depending on the formatting of the book. I like having my text fill as much of the screen as possible, so many of my books have small margins. When you have the page number overlap with the text, it is annoying. I personally just prefer it to how the LRF and everything else is on my 505, where one page is the same as one screen. Even though I don't like that my 505 shows "129-130 of 290" or something for page status at the bottom of the screen, I can live with that quirk, just let me get rid of the numbers on the page itself.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:14 PM   #8
Peter Sorotokin
speaking for myself
Peter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it is

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
There is support to turn them off in 9.1
Peter Sorotokin is offline   Reply With Quote