Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Did you change your mind about touch screens?

Hello, Everyone!

I haven't been on here for quite some time but was feeling the urge to talk ebooks and ereaders with y'all. I'm curious about what the current buzz is in regards to touch screens. Last time I checked, Kindle fans were pretty united in disliking touch screens (e.g. "Ew! Finger prints!") but now that Amazon has its own touch screen ereader, I was wondering if anyone has had second thoughts. If you switched over, what made you decide to make the switch? What did Amazon get "right"?

For the record, I'm still rockin' a K3/Kindle Keyboard. I am having a slight want for something shiny and new, but I think a new Gelaskin will take care of things nicely.
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Well, I've been using my Kindle Fire (not exactly the same thing) for a while now, and it hasn't really changed my opinion of touch screens much. I still find them to be finger print magnets that are still a little too finicky. I much prefer side-buttons for turning pages. Ideally, I'd like a reader with both, side-buttons when I want to read, and a touch screen for other uses.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would love to see a multi-touch, e-ink reader that would function similar to the LCD readers out there. Like you said, there's just something a little too finicky about the current generation of touch screen e-ink readers. I did try out my mom's new Sony WiFi Reader and thought that it was quite nice; although, not enough to buy something new.

Does the Fire work well for reading? I'm reluctant to get a tablet since I already have enough distractions in my life. I've play with the Fire on display at my local Target whenever I'm in there, but it just hasn't clicked with me. I can't quite put my finger on it, but something about the user interface bugs me.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #4
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Nope, got a KT in the house - still don't like touching the display.

Tablets I couldn't possibly care less for, and touch screen ATMs thankfully still have the reassuring buttons

Come to think of it, the only time I can remember enjoying them was at the aquarium as a kid.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
stickybuns
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
Nope, got a KT in the house - still don't like touching the display.
I feel like this might be a silly question, but, why did you buy a KT if it's not your cup of tea?
Advert
Old 04-05-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
I bought the KT because I wanted the extra space so I was willing to put up with the touch screen, I had nothing but problems with it. It wouldn't import collections on successfully on the first one then it died on me. Amazon sent me a replacement, the second one just died on me and Amazon once again sent me a replacement. I sold it to my sister, who doesn't read as often as I do and replaced it with the nontouch. Though I will say I like my Galaxy Tab but I am constantly cleaning the screen because I too do not like the fingerprints.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickybuns View Post
I feel like this might be a silly question, but, why did you buy a KT if it's not your cup of tea?
I live with other people who are free to purchase whatever they want
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #8
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I have never liked touch screens but my iPad has changed my habits on that. Found myself trying to drag something on my wife's laptop this evening.

Have ordered a KT. Hope I like it
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I didn't think I would like a touch screen reader. But I got the Sony Reader WiFi and I LOVE it. It is an excellent reader. I love having both page turn buttons and the ability to turn them via the touch screen. I have over 2000 books on it and no problems whatsoever. Wish I could say that about my Kindles.

As for the Kindle Fire, YES it is good to read on! I LOVE it! It is the coolest little thing. The "other stuff" is nice too. But for ereader, YES. and I was so sure I would say NO. I do NOT like reading on my kids' Nook Color. But the Fire is better! It is definitely a great ereader!

Best to have one of each, as the Fire doesn't have a long battery life, and not too good outside.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #10
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
For a straight eInk reader? No. I have absolutely no desire for touchscreen. I like the current setup with the K3.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #11
calibrated
Zealot
calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire w/Aldiko
I never thought I'd like a touch screen LCD e-reader, and then I bought a Kindle Fire, mostly because it was so cheap with my Amazon credit that I couldn't resist.

I haven't touched my Kindle 3 (Kindle Keyboard) since.
calibrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #12
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
My fingers are no less oilier than previously, and as a result I have not had reason to change my mind about touch-screens.

There's also tactile feedback. When I press a button, I know without concentrating that there's a definite outcome on the screen. With touch-screens, I feel the need to concentrate on the screen to see if the device has responded to my touch. I find that I can get away with being mentally lazier with buttons, if you get what I mean....
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #13
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I love my K Touch and Fire. Fingerprints are a non-issue with the Kindle Touch and very little movement of one's digit is necessary to turn pages. The Fire, as with any glass screen, can pick up fingerprints depending on how clean one's hands might be. I see only a few fingerprints when navigating the Fire and what little exists is quickly wiped away with a small microfiber cloth.

I haven't touched my Kindle Keyboard but I do still use a DX. Love the Touch and I will not go back to buttons.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
I bought the KT because I wanted the extra space so I was willing to put up with the touch screen, I had nothing but problems with it. It wouldn't import collections on successfully on the first one then it died on me. Amazon sent me a replacement, the second one just died on me and Amazon once again sent me a replacement. I sold it to my sister, who doesn't read as often as I do and replaced it with the nontouch. Though I will say I like my Galaxy Tab but I am constantly cleaning the screen because I too do not like the fingerprints.
The K4 is a nice little reader but it doesn't like adding more then a few books at a time. Yesterday I send 15 books to my K4 and it choked and froze. So I had to go to MYK page and send them one by one from there. I do get freezes on the K4 now and then nothing major but it locks up at random. The battery life is okay. 14 days on heavy reading with WiFi off. Regular reading gets about 18 days.

I will eventually get a Kindle Touch as I can't see the K4 lasting as long as my K3 has. My K3 is still running like a champ!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #15
hopkinsenglish
Connoisseur
hopkinsenglish began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Even though I use a Sony Touch (PRS-350) I still find myself using the physical buttons more for page turning. For navigation, however, I still prefer it hands down to navigating on the K3 or K4

Prediction - Amazon will release another touch edition with physical page turn buttons (probably not anytime soon, though).
hopkinsenglish is offline   Reply With Quote