Old 06-18-2011, 10:01 AM   #16
qariwa55
Enthusiast
qariwa55 began at the beginning.

Device: Boyue T62D
worked! but is still buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
qariwa, we must be doing something wrong - I have tried with other books, and fbreader works perfectly well at changing fonts. I cannot see what the problem is, as I can read the same book on the PB360 in the font I like, so I would have thought there shouldn'd be a major problem with the book itself, but obviously there is. And it was indeed strange that nobody was complaining about that.

EDIT: problem solved (at least in my case). My EPUB are all translated, and in the CSS style file for the declaration of the text I had:
Code:
.calibre {
    display: block;
    font-family: "LexiaDaMa", serif;
    font-size: 1em;
    line-height: 1.2;
    margin-bottom: 0;
    margin-left: 5pt;
    margin-right: 5pt;
    margin-top: 0;
    padding-left: 0;
    padding-right: 0;
    text-align: justify
    }
The font family declaration (highlighted in bold) for some reason seem to be creating the problems in the PB903 - I removed it, and all is well. Hope it works for you too!
I finally got a chance to try as you suggested, namely removing the font declarations from the epub. In my document, the value for the font-size declaration was 12pt, so I changed that too, to 1em. And, it worked! Even in Arabic! Well, sort of. Regarding Arabic, there is considerable flakiness, including the following 3 bugs (if not more):
  1. Changing fonts only works after opening a file and then going into the settings, and making a change. The book does not look right until after changing the font. Even when the settings are correct, if you reboot the device, the Arabic fonts come out wrong.
  2. The following fonts display Arabic correctly and satisfactorily: Droid Sans MTI Arabic, and Droid Sans Fallback MTI Arabic. The follow display it correctly, but look ugly: Deja Vu Sans, Deja Vu Sans Mono, and Liberation Mono. All other fonts do not display correctly, including fonts I added, such as CharisSIL, Latif and Scheherazade.
  3. Changing fonts only works once the following 2 settings are made: Encoding (e.g. "UTF-8") and Text(e.g. "Right to left"). If you have the font set correctly (e.g. to Droid Sans MTI Arabic), and then change one of these 2 settings (Encoding or Text), the font reverts to the same virtually unreadable text.

So, in other words, it works, but only if you reset to the Droid Arabic fonts after you have the rest of your settings selected.

Also, importantly, I converted the epub to fb2 in Calibre, and under fbreader it works the same as the fixed epub, even without having deleted the font family declarations. The fonts in the unfixed epub do not work at all, even with the above provisos.

So, go figure! I will see if I can get my non-techy Russian wife to translate this post and put it on the Russian forum, but I am out of town, and it might take a while. If someone else can do it quicker, that would be nice.

Reminder: I use PB Pro 602 with FW 2.0.6

I do not dare upgrade to 2.1.1 for now.

Last edited by qariwa55; 06-18-2011 at 10:06 AM. Reason: This list item somehow got deleted.
qariwa55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:05 PM   #17
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
glad it worked in the end - well, kind of worked
As I am already on 2.1.1, I'd like to play around with this, but I haven't been able to find any free EPUB in Arabic to experiment with: have you got any link that I might use? There must be something in the public domain, but all I can find are pdf files.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2011, 09:56 AM   #18
qariwa55
Enthusiast
qariwa55 began at the beginning.

Device: Boyue T62D
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
glad it worked in the end - well, kind of worked
As I am already on 2.1.1, I'd like to play around with this, but I haven't been able to find any free EPUB in Arabic to experiment with: have you got any link that I might use? There must be something in the public domain, but all I can find are pdf files.
Here is what I have used:

http://www.ibooks.ae/

You may need to use Google Translate to see it in English, or whatever.
qariwa55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:03 PM   #19
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by qariwa55 View Post
Here is what I have used:

http://www.ibooks.ae/
thanks qariwa - I have been testing one of the books, and so far I seem to be unable to change the fonts: it may be 2.1.1, or it may be me
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:45 PM   #20
jane10021
jane10021 began at the beginning.

Device: hanlin V3, pocketbook 360
Thanks Paola, it worked perfectly!
jane10021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #21
Hedaya
Connoisseur
Hedaya began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 612
Hello,

I have a pocketbook 612. It reads fine for non-vowelled texts (not "mushakkal"), but if they are vowelled, all the letters are separate. Can you help? I don't understand enough of this CSS business. I know the font I want to use is called "traditional Arabic" and the file is named trado.ttf for the regular and tradbdo.ttf for the bold-faced font. Can someone please help?

Thanx.
Hedaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #22
Hedaya
Connoisseur
Hedaya began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 612
Hello,

I have a pocketbook 612. It reads fine for non-vowelled texts (not "mushakkal"), but if they are vowelled, all the letters are separate. Can you help? I don't understand enough of this CSS business. I know the font I want to use is called "traditional Arabic" and the file is named trado.ttf for the regular and tradbdo.ttf for the bold-faced font. Can someone please help?

Thanx.
Hedaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:44 AM   #23
likeFree
Free as in Freedom
likeFree began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Lux 2
Works as well with the Pocketbook 626, Touch Lux 2.
Edit epub in Calibre -> remove Style file with *.css extension.
Thanks
likeFree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts fbreader arabic