Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-31-2010, 12:01 PM   #1
DaronFraley
Enthusiast
DaronFraley has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle
Kindle update 3.0.3

Is anyone else having lockups on Kindle latest generation running 3.0.2?

My Kindle was completely unresponsive, and I knew it had enough battery power. I plugged it in and got no lights. So I called support, and within minutes it was rebooting. Support had me install 3.0.3, and it hasn't locked up since.

One very curious thing, however... I have one of the official Kindle leather covers, the one which folds and has the elastic strap with leather Amazon-logo tab on it. Support refunded the cost of the cover. She had me keep it out of the cover for 24 hours, then called me back to be sure it had not locked up. That is when she refunded the cost of the cover and said I should get the lighted cover instead.

???? The only thing I can think of is that the top notch where the spring-loaded hook inserts into the side, there is a visible piece of copper inside. Is that for grounding? I wonder if the hook makes contact inside with the copper.

Naturally, I was very skeptical about her solution. I figure the update did more to fix it than keeping the cover off. Just to prove it to myself, I have it back in the cover, and so far after 24 hours, no lockups. I won't complain about the free money . . . It just seemed very strange to me.
DaronFraley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:12 PM   #2
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
There are a number of threads on the UNlighted Amazon cover causing these lockup or reboot problems.

The hooks apparently are covering with some form of paint/plastic/vinyl that insulates them. It may wear off. The LIGHTED cover using those hooks to bring power to the light. But apparently, there is some issue with the UNlighted cover that shorts or static electricity or something which can cause the problems. Lots of similar reports and hence the refund policy.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
Do some of the covers have metal instead of plastic locks? Mine has plastic so I don't see any problem there...
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:17 PM   #4
m0ngr31
Connoisseur
m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Mine used to lock up all the time with my "official case" but it hasn't done it in a while. You probably just have to break it in.
m0ngr31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:33 PM   #5
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Unless NEWLY created UNlighted covers use different hooks, the hooks were metal but covered with paint/varnish/plastic vinyl but can wear off and contact electronic connectors inside the kindle.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2011, 12:49 AM   #6
jezebel
Fanatic
jezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kindle Fire (5th Gen), Nook Color
I use a different brand of cover that doesn't use hooks AND I am on v 3.0.2. I have never had any freezes or reboots.
jezebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:27 AM   #7
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Word on the street is that people are having luck removing the coating from the hooks, in some cases just the top hook. Something about allowing better conductivity which prevents static building up and being unable to discharge through the hooks or something. edit: that explanation makes zero sense and I'm not accurately stating it. will try to find the correct info.

There was a thread on Amazon's discussion site where multiple people were reporting an immediate halt to the freezes after using sandpaper or a dremel tool to remove the coating from the top hook. I can't verify this myself as I sent back my cover even though they didn't require me to.

Last edited by OtterBooks; 01-01-2011 at 08:24 AM.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:41 AM   #8
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
Exclamation

The post by @OtterBooks makes more sense than any I've seen regarding the unlighted Kindle cover problem. Many claim static electricity (a more likely problem in cold weather with dry air in heated buildings). Others thought some 'connectivity' between the hooks, although a video takedown and analysis showed that such was essentially impossible from just the metal hook connection to the Kindle. By insulating the metal hooks with paint, static charges could build up and jump rather than being bled off normally. Removing the paint is worth a try, because the leather Kindle cover is still the best protection I've found.

Last edited by mldavis2; 01-01-2011 at 11:57 AM.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:27 AM   #9
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

mldavis2, I think you just explained it pretty well. That appears to be the theory: The case builds up ESD over time. Eventually the ESD gets to a level where it can penetrate the coating, sending a burst of static discharge into the Kindle. Removing the coating allows for a constant ground that prevents that build up.

I may re-order an unlighted cover and try it out.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #10
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
In all fairness, it wasn't my explanation. I bought two unlighted Kindle covers and had two incidents with freeze-ups after storing the K3 in the cover overnight. Since then, I've simply held the power switch for 5 seconds to blank the screen before putting the K3 in the cover. It takes the same 1-2 seconds to bring up the last page (just like the default screensaver restart), and I've had no problems with freezes or resets since doing that. In time, the hooks should wear away the paint enough to eliminate the problem entirely if you don't want to scrape it away. I've spent a LOT of time looking into this problem, and the reasons given above seem to fit each and every posted account of problems.

I think people were way too hasty in sending their nice leather covers back to Amazon, who, to their credit, have accepted them without question or complaint. They get a big vote of confidence from me for the way they've handled what could have been a real disaster for them and their image.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:27 PM   #11
OtterBooks
Wizard

Well, I meant it was much better than my initial, hastily jotted down explanation. heh.

I kept my cover for two weeks of the problem before sadly returning it. Keep in mind that for most people the cover is a part of their usage experience, almost permanently attached, so the issues were quite a hassle. I considered removing the hinges entirely and custom fitting a 4-point strap system, because I liked using the cover so much.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #12
DaronFraley
Enthusiast
DaronFraley has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle
Thanks for all of the responses! I think I'll try to shine up the hook and see if that prevents further lockups. But still haven't had any problem since the update.
DaronFraley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:40 AM   #13
Snakey
What would Snake do?
Snakey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
My dad's new Kindle 3 was having constant reboots and freeze ups, Amazon support told him to take it out of the Amazon non-lighted cover. No problems since, the covers are definitely a major problem.
Snakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #14
Timmy_B
Timmy_B doesn't litterTimmy_B doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone 3GS, iPod touch 1st gen, iPad 2 (on order)
I'm keeping my K3 at 3.0.2 until 3.0.3 is official. Luckily I have the Amazon cover with the integrated light and everything has been working fine. --- It does appear that it's taking a LONG time to get 3.0.3 out. Makes me think they're having major challenges.
Timmy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #15
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
I have had 3.0.3 since I got it and zero problems with normal usage... only the beta/experimental items ever have problems.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3.0.2, 3.0.3, kindle, update, version