Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 07-18-2009, 02:04 AM   #1
Xiaopanda
Addict
Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Just got my Astak EZ Reader..Advice?

Hi everyone,

Thanks to an MR'er, I am now "in" the e-reader club! My EZ Reader arrived today via post.... Now I need hints and tips..... Bring it on!

I've been using an HP Jornanda for bit, but the real-estate on the EZ reader is great, and I already have read more on the Astak than I would on a PDA without getting sleepy like I normaly do.....

I've changed the font to a Droid font, but is there something better?

What's THE best format to convert to for the EZ reader to handle?

Should I end my love affair with PRC and switch to a new, 'exciting' format?

Any hints and tips I need to know?

I've found that LIT is supported, but heaven help you if you change the font size, you end up with the most odd formatting!

Last edited by mtravellerh; 07-18-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Xiaopanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
A complicating factor is that the EZ Reader (and almost all other Hanlin V3s) are about to switch from MOBI DRM (encryption) to Adobe ePub and PDF DRM, see Adobe Digital Editions for EZ Reader. This means that, if you upgrade to the new firmware (once it is available), the MOBI reader will be diferent. It obviously won't read DRMed MOBI ebooks, but it will also be a 3rd party reader which will probably be about as good as the current LIT reader.

A format that will stay the same is FB2, which works well on the EZ Reader. The calibre 0.6 beta can convert DRM-free ebooks from many formats to many formats, and it supports FB2. Since Calibre makes it easy to format shift, you could instead convert LIT to MOBI now and to ePub later when the firmware switches over.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
A format that will stay the same is FB2, which works well on the EZ Reader. The calibre 0.6 beta can convert DRM-free ebooks from many formats to many formats, and it supports FB2. Since Calibre makes it easy to format shift, you could instead convert LIT to MOBI now and to ePub later when the firmware switches over.
I had trouble opening books converted in Calibre to .mobi format. I use mobipocket to convert Epub or HTML to PRC format which worked.

I also played with converting books to PDB format with Calibre and that worked well.

My version of the EZ-reader would not read DRM Mobi at all....
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:15 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
My version of the EZ-reader would not read DRM Mobi at all....
If you want to keep MOBI support, see EZReader Firmware. Many EZ Readers came with MOBI DRM, support but I see that the firmware at the new http://www.theezreader.com/index.asp does not. I suggest the Lbook firmware if you want MOBI DRM, but remember that all future firmwares will support Adobe DRM instead (so you are stuck with any bugs in that firmware).
Old 07-19-2009, 08:17 PM   #5
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
If you want to keep MOBI support, see EZReader Firmware. Many EZ Readers came with MOBI DRM, support but I see that the firmware at the new http://www.theezreader.com/index.asp does not. I suggest the Lbook firmware if you want MOBI DRM, but remember that all future firmwares will support Adobe DRM instead (so you are stuck with any bugs in that firmware).
Thanks, but I only had two books with MOBI DRM, which I read on my Ipaq. The only DRM books I buy are Fictionwise Ereader since they do not limit the number of devices you can read them on. The other DRM I use is Adobe which I use to borrow books from the library. The reason I bought the EZ-Reader is that they will soon be supporting Ereader and Adobe DRM.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:23 PM   #6
Xiaopanda
Addict
Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
I have a Mobi PID, (which is a good thing, I think ) on my EZ reader with the firmwear I have pre-loaded.

Even then, I really don't tend to use a lot of DRM stuff, at least, not yet....

Also, downloaded Calbre, and it doesn't seem to convert TO FB2, or am I doing it wrong?
Old 07-20-2009, 08:29 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaopanda View Post
Also, downloaded Calbre, and it doesn't seem to convert TO FB2, or am I doing it wrong?
I have not tested it, but the calibre 0.6 beta supports FB2 input and output.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:02 AM   #8
derrell
Jack O' Apes
derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Nokia N810, EZ-Reader, HTC Droid Incredible, Archos 70
The latest beta 15 of calibre will convert to fb2. Its not perfect yet but getting better. The books I've tested are readable but how they look varies between readers. FBReader in OI seems to do the best. Coolreader in OI and on the PC don't do such a good job. Don't know about the readers in the original manufacturer firmware.
derrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:10 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If the EZ Reader supports ePub, I suggest using Calibre to convert to ePub since the EZ Reader is moving to ePub anyway.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:33 AM   #10
Xiaopanda
Addict

Quote:
I have not tested it, but the calibre 0.6 beta supports FB2 input and output.
My bad here, I downloaded the last stable release 5.14 (I think)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If the EZ Reader supports ePub, I suggest using Calibre to convert to ePub since the EZ Reader is moving to ePub anyway.
Well, My EZ reader supports Epub, so this is a good start..
Old 08-04-2009, 03:38 PM   #11
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Just got my EZ Reader or Pocket PRO

Dear ALL:

The first step when you receive the EZ Reader Basic or EZ Reader Pocket PRO
should be to charge the battery overnight. ALL battery charge indicators are only a rough guide. IF the EZ Reader or Pocket PRO acts sluggish or "freezes"... 99.9% of the time you are low on battery charge. SO... please charge up well!

The second step is to go to:www.theEZreader.com and at the top you will see "support". Run your cursor onto there and you will see the FAQ sheet. Astak has one of the best... filled with tips and tricks and useful info! I strongly recommend that you go there and read thoroughly.

Learned a tip or trick? Send your info to: support@teamresearchinc.com and address it to Robert B. I will get it added to the FAQ sheets!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:44 PM   #12
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Astak has Adobe Digital Editions Firmware Upgrade

Dear All:

Astak has been approved for Adobe Digital Editions!! Add it to your EZ Reader!! You can do this easily by going to:www.theEZreader.com and hitting the download icon.

NOTE: IF you already have Mobipocket pre-loaded on your EZ Reader Basic... you will lose the display of Mobi DRM when you do the download. This is Amazon's wish and not ours. Mobi is exclusive and will not allow other formats on the same device. Even after you add Adibe Digital Editions you will still be able to read Mobi non-DRM ebooks.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:50 PM   #13
Robertb

Your EZ Reader supports a huge amount of formats

Dear All:

Your EZ Reader Basdic and Pocket PRO support: pdf,doc, jpg/bmp, txt, MP3, pdb, html, lit, prc, epub. In addition you can keep Mobipocket if you have that pre-loaded OR do a firmware upgrade to add Adobe Digital Editions at: www.theEZreader.com

Soon, we plan to also offer Fictionwise eReader format!!

Remeber: Mobipocket is exclusive and you cannot have other formats like ADE or eReader on the same device!
Old 08-13-2009, 09:11 PM   #14
Thrasymachus
Enthusiast
Thrasymachus doesn't litterThrasymachus doesn't litterThrasymachus doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, Astak EZ Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear All:

Your EZ Reader Basdic and Pocket PRO support: pdf,doc, jpg/bmp, txt, MP3, pdb, html, lit, prc, epub. In addition you can keep Mobipocket if you have that pre-loaded OR do a firmware upgrade to add Adobe Digital Editions at: www.theEZreader.com

Soon, we plan to also offer Fictionwise eReader format!!

Remeber: Mobipocket is exclusive and you cannot have other formats like ADE or eReader on the same device!
As you know, or ought to know, the EZ Reader doesn't really have full support for all the formats you claim. However the new firmware update improves support for EPUB dramatically. The previous firmware made EPUB files almost unreadable -- the formatting was terrible. The only flaw in the new firmware EPUB reader is that the zoom goes from very small to large, then super-large, then super-massive ... with no regular small or medium size.

PRC/MOBI files work quite wonderfully, the same in the old and new fw. (I don't use DRM'd PRC files.)

PDF support seems better in the new fw -- some PDFs that looked slightly "off" in the old version look better in the new version.

When I tried DJVU files at first, they crashed the device, but now they seem to be working quite well, so I'm happy with that.

HTML and LIT support is still completely awful, though. The formatting is badly messed up, and LIT files often close at random times.

FB2 support is okay but not really good. It splits words at the end of lines in completely random places. Otherwise I like it, but to me that problem is a deal-breaker, so I don't use the format.

RTF support is quite bad: formatting is gone completely, it appears. End of line punctuation is often placed on a separate line. Even the default device font is ignored. DOC support is just as bad, execpt the default font size is microscopic; the text is readable only in landscape mode. TXT files are displayed with badly done justification.

And don't even ask me about CHM files. Not good.

These problems aren't mentioned on your FAQ page.
Thrasymachus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:08 PM   #15
Xiaopanda
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasymachus View Post
As you know, or ought to know, the EZ Reader doesn't really have full support for all the formats you claim. However the new firmware update improves support for EPUB dramatically. The previous firmware made EPUB files almost unreadable -- the formatting was terrible. The only flaw in the new firmware EPUB reader is that the zoom goes from very small to large, then super-large, then super-massive ... with no regular small or medium size.
Agreed! Epub looks great, but without a magifying glass, can be tough to read, and the step-up magification goes from Tiny to massive, totally unlike Mobi-pocket...and I am NOT re-formatting and changing fonts and whatever else.
Quote:
PRC/MOBI files work quite wonderfully, the same in the old and new fw. (I don't use DRM'd PRC files.)
Agreed, and this is why PRC is my preffered format, as well as being able to read these on a Kindle.

I like the EZ reader, and enjoy mobipocket prc files, but the others are pretty hit-and-miss IMO. Epub support need to be dramatically improved so the font size steps up reasonably and amybe being able to change font style, though that's not a deal-breaker.....