Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #376
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Hmm, the new Destiny romances released yesterday still aren't available at Kobo and THE coupon expires today
Old 10-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #377
NixLapi
Addict
NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
And that's what I get for posting before caffeine! Thank you!
Old 10-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #378
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova Air, Galaxy Note 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NixLapi View Post
And that's what I get for posting before caffeine! Thank you!

It gets even worse if you look up 4 posts from your original posting for the book.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #379
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by apesmom View Post
It gets even worse if you look up 4 posts from your original posting for the book.
(me, that is!)
Old 10-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #380
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
Hmm, the new Destiny romances released yesterday still aren't available at Kobo and THE coupon expires today
I don't think you will see any new releases at Kobo for awhile. They are busy trying to clean up the mess they made. People are outrage at the removal of their books and there are petition and now boycotts planned and well Kobo just shot themselves in the foot. This overreaction isn't sitting well with authors who are losing alot of money from this. Not only have they removed self published titles but now Smashwords titles as well.

This is censorship is the highest form. While I do know there are books on there that shouldn't and to remove everything that they think is bad is not a good business practice. I expected them to just remove all titles but they are actually picking titles and going through them one by one.

And to pick Thanksgiving to do it of all times was the most stupid move I have seen by a company.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:49 PM   #381
NixLapi
Addict
NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apesmom View Post
It's 3pm, but I can still just go back to bed right?!
I usually do a search too...
Old 10-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #382
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
They pretty much had to block entire publishing sources, so that they could get back into those stores overseas (all of their trad publishing books were being blocked in the UK by Whitesmith, for example). There are also changing laws in the UK making it illegal just to show certain covers if no opt-in has been signed up for. They'll need to change their website (and screening of books, as the publishers and authors are intentionally mis-classifying them to try to get more returns in searches) before they let them back in, I'm afraid.

Amazon has been doing something similar, but didn't do a wholesale block (some authors and publishers are being banned tho - there's no requirement for Amazon or anyone else to sell certain books, only the right of the author to publish it ... even if that means at his own expense and with limited distribution).

So, here are some freebies from Wild Rose at Amazon, for those missing the selection at Kobo:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?url=search-...e%22&price=0-0
Old 10-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #383
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
They pretty much had to block entire publishing sources, so that they could get back into those stores overseas (all of their trad publishing books were being blocked in the UK by Whitesmith, for example). There are also changing laws in the UK making it illegal just to show certain covers if no opt-in has been signed up for. They'll need to change their website (and screening of books, as the publishers and authors are intentionally mis-classifying them to try to get more returns in searches) before they let them back in, I'm afraid.

Amazon has been doing something similar, but didn't do a wholesale block (some authors and publishers are being banned tho - there's no requirement for Amazon or anyone else to sell certain books, only the right of the author to publish it ... even if that means at his own expense and with limited distribution).
Wouldn't it makes sense just to take all the Erotica category and make it opt in instead of removing it though? Then the ones showing up still could be comb through but I have heard from several authors they are just randomly going through books quarantining them. I have no clue how they are going to fix it that way. There are thousands of titles on there.

Amazon has been doing what they should. I do see the need for moderating the content and I think Amazon is doing okay on that. We know how much after wading through the slush pile to suddenly need brain bleach to get those images out of our heads. ick!
Old 10-15-2013, 04:12 PM   #384
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Wouldn't it makes sense just to take all the Erotica category and make it opt in instead of removing it though? Then the ones showing up still could be comb through but I have heard from several authors they are just randomly going through books quarantining them. I have no clue how they are going to fix it that way. There are thousands of titles on there.

Amazon has been doing what they should. I do see the need for moderating the content and I think Amazon is doing okay on that. We know how much after wading through the slush pile to suddenly need brain bleach to get those images out of our heads. ick!
But the problem is many of the self-pubbed erotica authors do not include erotica as a tag on their books. Some were trying to game the system.

They will set new filters and the books will eventually be back for people to purchase. A bunch of titles have been pulled from Amazon as well. And the authors have to republish them there, too.

I can see both sides of this issue. And while I do think Kobo and Amazon overreacted by pulling so many titles, the book distributor that didn't have filters in place is also to blame. As are the authors who relabeled/retitled their books so they would show up when popular middle-grade authors names were searched.

Many self-pubbed authors I have seen ranting on twitter about censorship and such simply do not have their facts straight.

As for new titles, the Harlequin US stuff that released today is there. Just not the Aussie stuff. Oh well, it is not as if I don't have enough to read

Last edited by library addict; 10-15-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #385
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
But the problem is many of the self-pubbed erotica authors do not include erotica as a tag on their books. Some were trying to game the system.

They will set new filters and the books will eventually be back for people to purchase. A bunch of titles have been pulled from Amazon as well. And the authors have to republish them there, too.

I can see both sides of this issue. And while I do think Kobo and Amazon overreacted by pulling so many titles, the book distributor that didn't have filters in place is also to blame. As are the authors who relabeled/retitled their books so they would show up when popular middle-grade authors names were searched.

Many self-pubbed authors I have seen ranting on twitter about censorship and such simply do not have their facts straight.

As for new titles, the Harlequin US stuff that released today is there. Just not the Aussie stuff. Oh well, it is not as if I don't have enough to read
That's just it. There is whole category for Erotica. Instead of pulling it they could have made it opt in only. Remove all tags and only use Categories till they get it straight. Instead they pulled all erotica that self published which was super stupid move on their part. It's one thing to pull all self publishing but another to single out a category that could easily be fixed. Once the category erotica was opt in they could them cull through the rest of the stuff.

Do you have any idea how much this hurts those authors who are trying to make a living? I feel for them they are losing alot of sales and have done nothing wrong.
Why should they be punished because there are others out there who violated the system. It's just not right and the time of the year makes it even worse.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #386
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Instead they pulled all erotica that self published which was super stupid move on their part.
They didn't just pull erotica. There are authors of mysteries, science fiction, non-fiction, etc. complaining about their books being pulled.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #387
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
They didn't just pull erotica. There are authors of mysteries, science fiction, non-fiction, etc. complaining about their books being pulled.
I noticed that but why pull those is a mystery! If you go to the Erotica section of Kobo it's all gone. Just publishers that are known no self published books are showing.

I have no clue what they think are doing. If you check your library for self published erotica you will see books missing. Luckily most of us here know to back them all up.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #388
NixLapi
Addict

Quote:
I noticed that but why pull those is a mystery! If you go to the Erotica section of Kobo it's all gone. Just publishers that are known no self published books are showing.

I have no clue what they think are doing. If you check your library for self published erotica you will see books missing. Luckily most of us here know to back them all up.
Very curious. Makes me happy NOT to spend my money at Kobo.

I still see plenty of smut... 42k erotica titles on the Canadian site, lots of self-pubbed. And when I use my US account (I get the old site, go figure) and 52k titles there and lots of smut. Were the number of titles considerably higher previously?
Old 10-15-2013, 05:06 PM   #389
library addict
Grand Sorcerer

They pulled everything from Draft 2 Digital and some other distributors. So it was a bunch of self-published ranging from sweet to erotica as well as other genres other than romance. It's supposed to be back up within a week.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #390
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova Air, Galaxy Note 10
Here's a nice 10 book box set for 11/10/13 pre-order on Kindle.

Dangerous Attraction Romantic Suspense -$0.99

The Kaylea Cross alone makes worthwhile for me.
  • Ignited by award-winning and national bestselling author, Kaylea Cross – Can sexy ex-SEAL Hunter Phillips keep Khalia safe from the terrorists who took her father’s life? (Scorcher)
    ---Titanium Security #1 ---221 pages

• Secret Guardian by international bestselling author, Jill Sanders – Will ex-special forces hero, Ethan, save Ann in time, only to lose himself to love? (Scorcher)
    ---Secret #3---256 pages
    Secret Seduction (Book #1) is currently free

• Legal Ease by award winning and national bestselling author Lori Ryan – Marrying Kelly solved the problems this steamy CEO faced at his company, but will he ever be able to forgive himself for the price she has to pay? (Scorcher)
    ---Sutton Capital #1---376 pages

• Fallen SEAL Legacy by national bestselling author, Sharon Hamilton – Will Navy SEAL Cooper be able to survive the loss of the woman he loves, or will his self-sacrifice be enough to keep Libby safe? (Scorcher)
    ---SEAL Brotherhood #2---278 pages

• Three Days in Seattle by national bestselling author, Debra Burroughs – Trying to stay a step ahead of a lunatic set on revenge, Kate and Ryan are locked in a desperate race to find her missing sister and capture the madman before both women wind up dead. (Sweet)
    ---288 pages

• Catching the Bad Guy by national bestselling author, Marie Astor – Top-notch white collar crime investigators Janet Maple and Dennis Walker team up to solve what could be the biggest case of their careers, but will their attraction to each other get in the way? (Sensual)
    ---Janet Maple #2---251 pages
    To Catch a Bad Guy (Book #1) is currently free

• Deathscape by Dana Marton Daphne du Maurier Award of Excellence recipient and Rita Award finalist, Dana Marton – Detective Jack Sullivan will do anything to put Ashley in prison for her crimes…even if he’s falling in love with her. (Sensual)
    ---Broslin Creek #1 --- 202 pages
    Has previously been free

• The Killing Game by international bestselling author, Toni Anderson –Forced to choose between his country and his heart, British SAS Soldier, Ty Dempsey risks it all to save a wildlife biologist caught in the crosshairs of a ruthless killer. (Sensual)
    ---336 pages
    Has previously been free

• See Me in Your Dreams by Patricia Rosemoor, Golden Heart Winner and two-time recipient of the Romantic Times Career Achievement Award – Her dreams allow her to see through his missing daughter's eyes, but he thinks she’s a con woman...until she dreams of something known only to him and the girl. (Sensual)
    McKenna Legacy #1 (Harlequin 1996)
    Has previously been free

• Bonus Christmas Novella, Christmas Captive by Romantic Times Career Achievement Award Winner and Rita Finalist, Rebecca York – Her special sight let her glimpse the Christmases past of this international financier, but did he have a Christmas future?
Closed Thread