Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-10-2006, 09:33 AM   #1
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
APPLE! Please bring back the Newton!

...with eink this time, and usb, and SD and...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:34 PM   #2
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No one else interested? Just the design of it could be interesting!
Advert
Old 11-10-2006, 03:51 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I think it was before it's time. A shame it didn't catch on and continue to grow. I think there is a newton emulator, so you could probably do something like this with a UMPC.

Don't hit me, but I think it's probably more of a nostalgic thing to want a Newton, and not a widespread marketable idea... despite the things it got right, modern versions of eBook readers and PDAs are probably better. If nothing else, they have support for things like e-ink and usb on the e-ink side, and wifi, applications written, etc. on the pda side.

On the other hand, there's almost a universal cry for Apple to come out with a Tablet PC. And I think it would create a huge interest if they did an e-book reader, whether it was e-ink or other display technology. Maybe as an extension of their growing iPod line, which is already moving into multimedia capabilities.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 04:40 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
My guess: Apple is holding back because their gadget division clearly focuses on the mass market. And until e-books become a mass market, it's a looooong time to go (only my guess).
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:12 AM   #5
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
Or they could do an iBod or iPok ... hmmm ....

I assure you that when they finally do ... apple fans will act as though the very idea of ebook readers was invented by Steve Jobs and that it is heralding in a brand new paradigm. .... don't believe... just wait and see ...

That aside, I think it can only be good news if apple join in the foray ...
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2006, 11:40 AM   #6
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

The thing that prompted me to desire the comeback of Newton is mostly for good software like iTunes. Connect software is not up to par with the reader. I think iTunes is better than the iPod itself, what ever detractors think.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:16 PM   #7
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
Something been spinning around in my thinking...

1) Diddent Job's have the head of Sony on stage for one of the dog and pony shows?
2) Its a bit weird how limited parts of CONNECT kind of act like iTunes. Or have basic logic. ( could be a copy )
3) Why playback ACC { Basically Apples m4a audio format }? It does play unencrypted iTunes songs. It eats a bit more power than mp3. And with some work could maybe play encrypted iTunes?

Could it be either they were working on something and fell out or that something has not filter out yet. Its a pretty big stretch but have seen strange things in the past.

Take the new apple hub being released next year for media and add the Reader to the mix. Or a combo flexible page reader or some other concept.

A heavy battery that good for a day of music or longer for pages. A bit odd...

Would not be surprise to see Sony and Apple were partner then split like Sony/Nintendo deal of the early 90's.

And last try this...
On some of the Apple sites they have reported a bezel control system patented by Apple... Would be energy efficient if you were using the current eink displays.

Ho hum... Having a blast with the Reader!
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 01:39 PM   #8
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

It's kind of weird that a tecno savvy company like Apple has'nt caught up with eink.
We'll surely have an announcement of a product of some kind soon?
As for all other companies using B\W displays, like MP3 players, could get longer battery use by the use of eink!
Old 11-12-2006, 02:37 PM   #9
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

True... But Apple will wait until all of the parts are in sync so to speak. Could be waiting until the color and or foldable epaper come to market.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:50 PM   #10
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwing
3) Why playback ACC { Basically Apples m4a audio format }? It does play unencrypted iTunes songs. It eats a bit more power than mp3. And with some work could maybe play encrypted iTunes?
ACC is not specifically an Apple format. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 02:54 PM   #11
Nightwing
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jęd
ACC is not specifically an Apple format. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding
I know they use that as a base for their audio but not that common for a player. I know they are adding it to their players now.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:02 PM   #12
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwing
I know they use that as a base for their audio but not that common for a player. I know they are adding it to their players now.
Take a look of the Wikipedia article, espcially the number of audio players that can play aac files. It would be surprising if the Reader didn't feature it...
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 03:12 PM   #13
Nightwing
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jęd
Take a look of the Wikipedia article, espcially the number of audio players that can play aac files. It would be surprising if the Reader didn't feature it...

Cool.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:50 AM   #14
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
...with eink this time, and usb, and SD and...
There is a Newtom emulator for ARM 5. Runs in Zaurus and Nokia 770, can be ported to eink if you have a lot of time and a Newton rom.

Newton itself was ARM 2 I believe, was it?
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:20 AM   #15
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
The thing that prompted me to desire the comeback of Newton is mostly for good software like iTunes. Connect software is not up to par with the reader. I think iTunes is better than the iPod itself, what ever detractors think.
Well, I hate iTunes with a passion, but still love my iPod. (Thank God for the Winamp plugin.)
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote