Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Which type of Kindle PW you ordered
wifi 44 75.86%
3G 14 24.14%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #31
pillacd
pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook HD+, Nook STR
I owned an KK and almost never used the wireless connection. I also have a huge backlog of ebooks to get through, so WiFi is fine for me.
pillacd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #32
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I'm amazed anyone buys the 3G at all But hey, the world is full of amazing things.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2014, 04:57 AM   #33
Joern
Joern began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2)
Only WiFi, no 3G needed
Joern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:50 AM   #34
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
I want the 3G for my son but only if it is unlimited wikipedia. I am unable to figure out how much wikipedia you can do on it after several searches including amazon with a refined search on the reviews of 3G with wiki. My son loves wikipedia and it would keep him entertained on a car ride - we don't have smartphones...
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:05 PM   #35
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
It is unlimited.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2014, 01:50 PM   #36
Pangolin
Pangolin
Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 2
Hi Barty, meeee, I regret not getting the 3G. I decided it would be a waste of money, but.... i travel, not everywhere has WiFi where I go in Europe, I don't have any 3G gadgets, my phone is well and truly dumb.... all in all I wish I'd gone 3G and next one I buy will have that option.
I was in a museum in Amsterdam last Friday and was frustrated not to be able to check up on some stuff in WikiP, most certainly would have done since I had the PW with me - always do. So yeah, for some it is useful (or maybe just desirable - usefulish)
Pangolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:54 PM   #37
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Oh, there is no doubt that it is ALWAYS useful. The question is, how useful, and is it worth the additional $70.

$70 is a lot of money for a feature that is only a convenience, so if you don't anticipate being in a situation where you have no WiFi and your books/Wikipedia is truly necessary, then I personally wouldn't think it worth the cost. Of course, my answer may change if I win the lottery.

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-12-2014 at 01:57 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:48 AM   #38
Pangolin
Pangolin
Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 2
Ach I have been caught out a couple of times out and about when it would have been really great to know more about the building I'm looking at or the picture in front of me. I love WikiP.

Also, would be great to always see the deal of the day. There's rarely anything I want but you can be sure that the days I can't access it is the day where there are goodies to bag.

Aaand then there's the irritating thing of coming across a new series, finishing the one you are on and not being able to get the sequel 'cos no WiFi. Often no WiFi when out and about. Irritating being at the top of a bed and breakfast and not getting a signal. Do you potter all the way down in 'jamas or not read what happens next. Really.

I hate phones, so I have a cheap and cheerful dumb phone and no 3G smart doodads at all. None of this is relevant if WiFi always available and another device can carry you over if needed.

I'd leap on a 3G now with a good dollop of extra storage, but I can't help thinking something new will be announced in Autumn. So I'll wait. But I know that it's totally irrelevant for most - I'm odd.
Pangolin is offline   Reply With Quote