Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-05-2015, 04:28 PM   #1
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Kate Morton: which one?

I've been wanting to read Kate Morton, but can't decide which one to start with. Any opinions?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:53 PM   #2
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
I really liked The Distant Hours and I haven't finished reading The Secret Keeper. I set it aside and kind of forgot about it -- but I remember that I was enjoying it. I need to unearth the book and return to it.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2015, 09:03 PM   #3
BooksCatsPandas
BooksCatsPandas is that somebody.BooksCatsPandas is that somebody.BooksCatsPandas is that somebody.BooksCatsPandas is that somebody.BooksCatsPandas is that somebody.BooksCatsPandas is that somebody.BooksCatsPandas is that somebody.BooksCatsPandas is that somebody.BooksCatsPandas is that somebody.BooksCatsPandas is that somebody.BooksCatsPandas is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I've read and enjoyed all four of her novels. If I had to pick a favourite I guess it would be The Forgotten Garden.
BooksCatsPandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:29 PM   #4
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I like The Forgotten Garden best too, but they're all good. I also like The Secret Keeper quite a bit.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:59 PM   #5
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the opinions. I think I will start with Forgotten Garden.
Advert
Old 08-13-2015, 10:09 AM   #6
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Changed my mind and decided to read The House at Riverton (aka The Shifting Fog) when I realized I had already purchased the audiobook version sometime back. I'm almost at the halfway point--mostly I am liking it, but I do wonder if the story needs to meander so much. I'm feeling a bit impatient about so much atmosphere and want more plot.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:15 PM   #7
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I liked The House of Riverton, but IMO it's the weakest of her books.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:30 AM   #8
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Finished The House at Riverton last night, and if that's the weakest of her novels, the others must be outstanding. I don't know why I initially felt impatient for the story to move along; even though it was a lengthy book, by the end I felt completely immersed in the world Kate Morton had created and regretted having to leave it.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:25 PM   #9
NickyWithNook
Guru

She is a favorite of mine, and she has a new book coming out I think in October! That's one I'll immediately buy for full price.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:07 PM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I'm glad you enjoyed Kate Morton! I have The House at Riverton but haven't read it yet. I recommend The Forgotten Garden next. I loved it. Then try The Secret Keeper. Happy reading!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:19 PM   #11
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

I'm looking forward to reading the rest of Kate Morton's books, but I've decided to space them out instead of just reading one after another.

Can any of you recommend similar authors? Amazon is suggesting Kimberley Freeman and Lucinda Riley, neither of which is familiar to me.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:39 PM   #12
NickyWithNook
Guru

I would love to find more authors like her. I read The Orchid House by Lucinda Riley and didn't like it. I haven't read anything by Kimberley Freeman. Kate Morton has a Gothic thing going on, with family secrets. Hmm, Sarah Waters? Rosamunde Pilcher?

We should keep a discussion about this going. I'd love to find more authors like her.

Also: I remember now that I asked the same question at one point. There are a few suggestions there. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=191800

Last edited by NickyWithNook; 08-17-2015 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:22 PM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I recommend The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. It also has the secrets and gothic thing going on.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:32 PM   #14
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks, I'll look at the other thread. One book I've read that I think had a similar feel to The House at Riverton is The Lantern, by Deborah Lawrenson.

Last edited by Catlady; 08-17-2015 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:58 PM   #15
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Can any of you recommend similar authors?
I've just finished 'The Forgotten Garden' myself (loved it BTW).

An author I find quite similar from the POV of 'secrets and lies from the past affecting the present - with a lot of to-and-fro of timeline' is Robert Goddard. Lots to choose from there, I've only read his earlier works so far.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote