Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-27-2015, 11:50 PM   #1576
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
All I ever heard is it doesn't work anymore. Do you mean to imply that update.bin.partial/ would still work???
Somehow I got the impression that Amazon had added error-checking, hence the obsoletion of that update blocker!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:33 PM   #1577
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@eschwartz: No idea, I just caught the changed target filename while looking at something completely unrelated .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2015, 01:14 AM   #1578
blu-
Enthusiast
blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.blu- knows what's going on.

Device: prs 650
So there's no update for this? Mine was working and then it suddenly wasn't, Amazon must've updated something.
blu- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:39 AM   #1579
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu- View Post
So there's no update for this? Mine was working and then it suddenly wasn't, Amazon must've updated something.
Your what was working? Your prs-650?

Common on now, you have to at least give us the brand name if not the model nickname.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:21 PM   #1580
Savoir
Savoir began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite B01B 5.6.1.1
I'm in the same boat as blu-

I have a Kindle Paperwhite (ver. 5.6.1.1) that has just updated due to a book download (only thing I can think of as I usually keep Airplane mode on) and has, once again, trashed any customizations (cover mode) that have been utilized for quite a while now.

I will research any new jailbreak for this version update but, my question is ........ isn't there any way to stop any further updating from Amazon?
Savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2015, 06:13 PM   #1581
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir View Post
I have a Kindle Paperwhite (ver. 5.6.1.1) that has just updated due to a book download (only thing I can think of as I usually keep Airplane mode on) and has, once again, trashed any customizations (cover mode) that have been utilized for quite a while now.

I will research any new jailbreak for this version update but, my question is ........ isn't there any way to stop any further updating from Amazon?
Try the newest (this morning, a few hours ago) "hotfix" which NiLuJe posted (and announced in a nearby thread).

That should restore the jail break.
You may have to re-install everything else.
Please report back if you have troubles, specially with Active Documents.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:44 PM   #1582
Savoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Try the newest (this morning, a few hours ago) "hotfix" which NiLuJe posted (and announced in a nearby thread).

That should restore the jail break.
You may have to re-install everything else.
Please report back if you have troubles, specially with Active Documents.
Thanks !! I'll give it a try.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:53 PM   #1583
Savoir

Just tried the jailbreak 'hotfix' ......... no joy!

If this is not what you were referring to then, I haven't been able to find what you were talking about.

Tried to reinstall Python ........ 'Update Kindle' greyed out.
Tried to reinstall the jailbreak itself ........ 'Update Kindle' greyed out.

Last edited by Savoir; 07-18-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-18-2015, 03:34 PM   #1584
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir View Post
Just tried the jailbreak 'hotfix' ......... no joy!

If this is not what you were referring to then, I haven't been able to find what you were talking about.

Tried to reinstall Python ........ 'Update Kindle' greyed out.
Tried to reinstall the jailbreak itself ........ 'Update Kindle' greyed out.
You **MUST** use the Mobileread Package Installer (MrPI) with 5.6 series firmware to install anything.

This "hotfix" package:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1597

Which was just reported to still be working, as of a few hours ago.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:05 PM   #1585
Savoir

My thanks go out to knc1 !
I had to do quite a bit of research involving this new firmware revision but I finally got everything back to the way it should be (for me). Your hint about using MrPI was most welcome.

I also appreciate the work that the developers do on this forum; their expertise just amazes me in their effort to make our Kindles OUR Kindles.

Thanks again !
Old 07-22-2015, 10:41 AM   #1586
Bookatarian
Zealot
Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Much thanks and gratitude to both the developers and users on this forum...both of which help me keep my custom screensavers running. Such a small thing, really, to have images of my choosing on the KPW1, but I still smile each time. I have no idea why Amazon chooses not to allow users to adjust screensaver images, but thanks to everyone here for helping to make it happen. A little nail biting each time I have to tweak, update, or make other adjustments, but always, success. Thank you.

I want to report that the latest jailbreak survives a manual update to 5.6.1.1 and I was successful in reinstalling the screensaver hack via KUAL and MrPI (awesome piece of work!).

It is my understanding that I do not need the hotfix, since I was running the very latest jailbreak and all seemed to survive?
Bookatarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:34 PM   #1587
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Correct. And good to hear about our users' successes.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:54 AM   #1588
Milbert
Milbert began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW1
Problem with cover-mode after FW-Update

Hi,

first some Systeminfo:

Device:
Kindle PW1 FW 5.6.1.1

installed:
JailBreak-1.14.N-FW-5.6.x-hotfix
KUAL-v2.5
kual-helper-0.4.N
kual-mrinstaller-1.5.N
kindle-python-0.13.N
kindle-linkss-0.23.N

Screensavershack works fine with image-cycle-mode or last-screen-mode.
There are only problems with cover-mode. When cover-mode is activated, I can read "S W failed to extract cover" after loading any book. Screensaver-cover I can see is default.png "screensavershack is currently in cover-mode but hasn't yet successfully processed a book cover ".

I already have completly uninstalled python and linkss and reinstalled the versions above.

Any idea for help?

Thanks a lot

Milbert
Milbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 04:46 PM   #1589
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Milbert: Which kind of books would that be?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:54 PM   #1590
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@NiLuJe- (or any and all helpful people!)
I have an interesting glitch... I updated my PW1 to FW 5.6.1.1 today and reinstalled my hacks. All hack updates were from your latest snapshots. Everything installed without a hitch and is working perfectly except for the rendering of the Personal Info Watermark when in cover mode. If PI watermark is turned on, it will not render a cover from a newly opened book and displays the last book cover that was rendered. If PI watermark is turned off, it will create and show the new cover without a problem (yep, took me two hours to figure out that there was an issue with the PI watermark and not with SS hack or embedded cover images ). When I look in Cover Cache, the PI watermark image is not there....did something change that I missed? The PI information in my settings has not changed)
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch