Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-06-2010, 01:23 AM   #1
kyliez
kyliez began at the beginning.

Device: none
Accessing PC file structure via ipad and wifi

Hi, is there a way to access a PC file structure via iPad and wifi? There is many PDFs inside directory scattered in my PC hard drive. I want to use the iPad to browse them via wifi and copy PDF that I need, or even to manage my PC directories. Any app that can do that kind of thing?
kyliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:26 AM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

No, there isn't.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2010, 01:36 AM   #3
Trubu
Zealot
Trubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, Nook, iPhone 3GS, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
No, there isn't.
Actually, as long as the folders on the PC are shared, you can access them with an app called FileBrowser and copy over any files you want. Depending on how you have your share permissions set up, you can also copy/move/delete files on the PC.
Trubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:30 AM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Yes, but it sounded like he was looking for something that would index PDF files scattered on his hard drive and present them as some sort of library. FileBrowser won't do that.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:55 AM   #5
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Yep, no way to do that unfortunately.

The Goodreader app has it's own file system, so you could recreate it on there, but from the little I've played around with, that would be very clunky to do with a lot of PDFs in a lot of different folders compared to just having a file system so you could just drag it over and keep the file structure in tact.

I doubt that's something Apple will add either--at best they'll put a central file location to through all your PDFs and other docs with no way (at least on a non-jailbroken iPad) to see the file structure). But at least then multiple Apps could access it.

Otherwise, all you (and I since that's a deal breaker for me) is wait and see what other tablets come out.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2010, 10:12 AM   #6
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Only thing which comes close is the dropbox app.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:00 PM   #7
wqoq
wqoq began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, iPhone 4S, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyliez View Post
Hi, is there a way to access a PC file structure via iPad and wifi? There is many PDFs inside directory scattered in my PC hard drive. I want to use the iPad to browse them via wifi and copy PDF that I need, or even to manage my PC directories. Any app that can do that kind of thing?
GoodReader should be able to do that. Start up some form of web sharing on your PC, then browse it using GoodReader.
wqoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:48 PM   #8
tsuma
tsuma began at the beginning.

Device: Viewsonic gTablet
What about setting up a WebDAV server on a personal wifi network? Some PDF readers can now access WebDav services.
tsuma is offline   Reply With Quote