Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 03-04-2010, 04:44 AM   #1
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Geographical Spread

I'm new to ereaders - got my IREX DR800 about three weeks ago - and newish to MR. But in the short time that I've been involved what's become interesting is the geographical spread of ereaders. I'm a Brit living in Denmark and here they seem to be as rare as hen's teeth. I was recently in the UK and expected to see a wide range of readers in every consumer electronics shop on the high street - but I was wrong. There are a few about but not a huge range in any one place. I even went into a Sony store and asked when they were expecting the Daily Edition - they had never heard of it!

What I was wondering was whether the clever people who run MobileRead had easy access to stats about the geographical locations of members. Whilst this is not the same as the geographical spread of devices it might stand as some kind of proxy for that.

If this is a dumb question to ask - or it would take a lot of faffing around to get the info - sorry. I was just interested in what sort of phenomenon this is.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:47 AM   #2
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Have you checked the frappr map? Sure, not everyone is on there but it should give you an idea.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2010, 04:55 AM   #3
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katti's Cat View Post
Have you checked the frappr map? Sure, not everyone is on there but it should give you an idea.
Thanks KC - didn't know it existed.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:14 AM   #4
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
The Danish bookshop chain, 'Bog & Idé' announced yesterday they were going to sell e-book readers in their shops.
http://politiken.dk/kultur/boger/article914625.ece (in Danish)

It might be a move that can push the publishers a little further along with reagrds to actually publishing e-books. Can't come too soon for my taste - I read hardly any Danish fiction anymore.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:27 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
I'm a Brit living in Denmark and here they seem to be as rare as hen's teeth. I was recently in the UK and expected to see a wide range of readers in every consumer electronics shop on the high street - but I was wrong. There are a few about but not a huge range in any one place.
Best place to see them "in person" in the UK is currently Waterstones; they now sell lots of different models. Last time I went into my local branch they had:

Sony PRS300
Sony PRS600
CyBook Opus
iRiver Story

and one other than I didn't recognise.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2010, 08:01 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
and one other than I didn't recognise.
This might have been an Elonex 511EB, which is the 5" Hanvon N520.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:56 AM   #7
TGS
Country Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
The Danish bookshop chain, 'Bog & Idé' announced yesterday they were going to sell e-book readers in their shops.
http://politiken.dk/kultur/boger/article914625.ece (in Danish)
Thanks for this link Ea. It will be interesting to see how ereaders and ebooks are priced in DK - perhaps they will become one more thing to add to the shopping list when "popping across the border" (I live in Jylland, so this is a regular activity for many of my Danish friends).
Old 03-08-2010, 05:10 AM   #8
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for this link Ea. It will be interesting to see how ereaders and ebooks are priced in DK ...
I just discovered they are already selling them (and also online)
http://bog-ide.dk/Default.aspx?ID=669

In Jylland; Bjerringbro, Randers, Vejle and Århus. The difference in price appear to be mostly down to the higher Danish VAT.

Also noticed a library ebook service: ebib.dk (don't know if you read enough Danish for that to be interesting for you)

Quote:
... perhaps they will become one more thing to add to the shopping list when "popping across the border" (I live in Jylland, so this is a regular activity for many of my Danish friends).
Could well be If you could save 400-600 DKK...

Last edited by Ea; 03-08-2010 at 05:15 AM. Reason: fix quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:52 AM   #9
TGS
Country Member

Quote:
Could well be If you could save 400-600 DKK...
Could well be that order of difference, for example the BeBook One is 2395 DKK
which converts as about £290. But it's available in the UK for about £240, and presumably in the rest of Europe for the Euro equivalent

Quote:
Also noticed a library ebook service: ebib.dk
Thanks for this - I'll certainly give it a look. My ability to read Danish isn't that great, but I'm practicing by reading (or at least trying to read) Ib Michael in Danish, having previously read him in English.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:41 PM   #10
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The frappr map is interesting, not not complete. I think it would be interesting to see a list of countries represented here at MobileRead, along with the number of members from each country.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:59 PM   #11
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
The frappr map is interesting, not not complete. I think it would be interesting to see a list of countries represented here at MobileRead, along with the number of members from each country.
Did you start a poll yet?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:06 PM   #12
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Did you start a poll yet?
To be accurate, I think more than a poll is needed. The frappr map is a kind of poll.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:40 PM   #13
Ea
Wizard

I was actually looking for such a list yesterday. I had a vague memory of seeing one earlier, but I might be mistaken.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #14
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
I was actually looking for such a list yesterday. I had a vague memory of seeing one earlier, but I might be mistaken.
If you find one, let me know!
Old 04-08-2010, 11:53 PM   #15
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
I vaguely remember something also. I've been trying to search by poll prefixes, but so far no luck.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote