Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-09-2009, 02:03 AM   #1
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
css override code for margins?

Hi,

I'm not sure what code to use in the override box to get the page to use my margins instead of the settings in Calibre?

I'm trying to get the top and bottom margin down to 0.

I'd appreciate any and all help.

Thanks
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:56 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
It should look something like the following (change the numbers to suit your preferences):

body {
margin-left:0;
margin-right:0;
margin-top:0;
margin_bottom:0;
}
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
It should look something like the following (change the numbers to suit your preferences):

body {
}
Thanks!
Old 08-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #4
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:

body {
}

I tried that code but it didn't seem to affect the bottom and top margins. I tried

p {margin-left:0;
margin_bottom:0;}

and that seemed to work better. Not sure if it's proper coding or not but at least I no longer have 1 inch margins at the bottom of my files.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oops. You caught a typo. I wrote margin_bottom; it should read margin-bottom.
Advert
Old 08-10-2009, 05:17 PM   #6
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:

that may explain why the code didn't work...
Old 08-11-2009, 12:28 AM   #7
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
I use:

Code:
p {
  margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom:0pt;padding:0pt; text-indent:20pt
}
and I leave the margins on the page setup dialog all as 0.0.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:55 PM   #8
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
I'm a bit confused, in almost all css codes I've looked at you it seems like you're supposed to end properties with a colon, but on this one code you end with a period?

is the body selector just different from other selectors? Or is there more going on?

And is

body {margin-left:0;
margin_bottom.0;}

more correct than

p {margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt; padding: 0pt;
text-indent: 15pt;}

Last edited by Amalthia; 08-11-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:59 PM   #9
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post
I use:

Code:
p {
  margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom:0pt;padding:0pt; text-indent:20pt
}
and I leave the margins on the page setup dialog all as 0.0.
I've started doing the same. Still not sure what the difference is between body and p but p seems to work.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:05 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
I'm a bit confused, in almost all css codes I've looked at you it seems like you're supposed to end properties with a colon, but on this one code you end with a period?

is the body selector just different from other selectors? Or is there more going on?

And is

margin_bottom.0;}

more correct than

I ended the sentence with the period; it was not part of the css term.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:16 PM   #11
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Property name and value must be separated by a colon (consider it like a = sign). After the value, a semicolon is needed; it is optional just before the closing brace, but it's safest to always add it.

Quote:
And is

margin_bottom.0;}

more correct than

0 and 0pt are the same, when the value is 0 you don't need to specify the units. body and p are different elements (p is inside body), so modifying them can give different results. You probably want both things, I'd use:

Code:
body { margin: 0; }
p { margin: 0; padding: 0; text-indent: (whatever); }
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:01 PM   #12
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
I ended the sentence with the period; it was not part of the css term.

okay to be absolutely clear this is the correct css code?

margin_bottom.0
}

I'm still confused if this is correct as to why you would not have a semicolon at the end of margin_bottom.0
Old 08-11-2009, 04:02 PM   #13
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Property name and value must be separated by a colon (consider it like a = sign). After the value, a semicolon is needed; it is optional just before the closing brace, but it's safest to always add it.

0 and 0pt are the same, when the value is 0 you don't need to specify the units. body and p are different elements (p is inside body), so modifying them can give different results. You probably want both things, I'd use:

Code:
body { margin: 0; }
p { margin: 0; padding: 0; text-indent: (whatever); }
I'll try that out and see what happens.

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2009, 04:36 PM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
okay to be absolutely clear this is the correct css code?

margin_bottom.0
}

I'm still confused if this is correct as to why you would not have a semicolon at the end of margin_bottom.0
No, that's wrong. don't understand why you removed the semicolon but left the period.

I also don't understand why you think I dropped the semicolon. I didn't. Go look at my first post in this thread. The only error in it is that I used an underscore instead of a dash.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:40 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The correct code is....

Code:
body {
   margin-left: 0;
   margin-right: 0;
   margin-top: 0;
   margin-bottom: 0;
}
p {
   text-indent: 1.1em
}