Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-11-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Difficult suggestion

Wouldn't it be nice if calibre could somehow hook into the Sony eBook Library software (under Windows) to upload ebooks to any Sony Reader?
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:33 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Why would it be nice? The only real advantage the SONY s/w has is indexing LRF files, and LRF is going to go away soon.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2009, 07:50 PM   #3
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Why would it be nice? The only real advantage the SONY s/w has is indexing LRF files, and LRF is going to go away soon.
My PRS-500 isn't going away soon - unless it's stolen or Sony actually do a firmware upgrade.. (not likely!)
Old 08-11-2009, 07:56 PM   #4
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Do you mean that you think Sony is going to go ePub only?
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:06 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I certainly hope so
Advert
Old 08-11-2009, 11:10 PM   #6
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Quote:
I certainly hope so
Personally I think "epub purism" is for people who can afford it, i.e. people who don't have a PRS-500.
If Sony were to drop off support for the PRS-500 with the ebook library 3.0 upgrade I would be definitely disappointed.
Perhaps (and it's more than a little wishful thinking) Sony will resolve all this by providing a firmware upgrade for the PRS-500 to give it ePub/ADE functionality, and leave out any further support for it. That'd allow people to keep on buying books for their PRS-500 and not break support completely.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:18 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

calibre will continue to support LRF, though the quality of that support is not going to improve much as I have too many higher priority things to work on.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:51 PM   #8
p3aul
Captain Courageous
p3aul doesn't litterp3aul doesn't litter

Device: calibre, PRS 505
Quote:
LRF maybe, but not LRX I just don't see them doing away with DRM anytime soon. I wish Calibre was an anything to anything converter.
p3aul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:37 AM   #9
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3aul View Post
LRF maybe, but not LRX I just don't see them doing away with DRM anytime soon. I wish Calibre was an anything to anything converter.
You know, EPub includes optional support for DRM (https://www.idpf.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22) that Sony could possibly take advantage of
Wikipedia told me so!