Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > BeBook

Notices

Old 01-25-2009, 10:36 PM   #1
socalpimp
socalpimp began at the beginning.

Device: prs505(broken), Bebook
Bebook as sony alternative?

As a sad owner of a broken sony 505, I am looking for a new ebook reader. I was hoping to purchase a open source ebook reader that would read books in their native format such as html or lit. I am wondering if the BeBook will work without conversion software and how well does it render .lit, .lrf, .html?

I noticed that the bebook is now 279. 15 for shipping

thanks

Last edited by socalpimp; 01-26-2009 at 01:06 AM.
socalpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:37 AM   #2
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I have the EZ Reader (USA version on the Hanlin V3 which is the same hardware as BeBook). Also a Cybook Gen3 and a Sony PRS-500. The EZ Reader is my favorite, especially now that I have flashed the firmware to OpenInkPot.

I had had some automatic reboots with the original EZ Reader firmware reading the Mobipocket format. So far none with the OpenInkPot firmware. It not only seems more stable but has the ability to search for words and to delete books directly from the reader.

IMO the Hanlin hardware is the best of all the readers I've tried and the OI firmware is the best.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2009, 12:07 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Only the Sony's will read LRF, but there are conversion tools (LRFTools. Convert LRF to EPUB, HTML, PDF and RTF) and if you used Calibre to create the LRF from some other format then Calibre can now create ePub or MOBI from the original format (but not from LRF).

The BeBook firmware includes LIT and HTML support, but I find (using the Hanlin firmware, which is similar to the BeBook's) that FB2 has the best support followed by MOBI. Only MOBI allows DRM. If you don't care about DRM support, then the best option of all is to install OpenInkPot, which is Open Source firmware for the Hanlin V3. You can either reflash the firmware or use a "live" version on top of the original firmware. The OI does not support LIT (OpenInkPot do .lit natively?), but it now has both FBReader and Cool Reader 3 for DRM-free ebook formats.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:38 PM   #4
socalpimp

Im just confused as to the advantage of Hanlin Ebook over sony's 505?

If calibre works fantastic with sony what is the advantage of having the Hanlin if you end up having to convert the files anyways?

I was hoping Hanlin would be able to read the files natively.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalpimp View Post
Im just confused as to the advantage of Hanlin Ebook over sony's 505?
If ALL you care about is .LRF then, of course, the Sony has the advantage since it is their proprietary book format. The advantage of the Hanlin types is their format flexibility and openness. Since I prefer .PRC and .FB2 the advantage is obvious for me.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2009, 09:58 PM   #6
socalpimp

yes I understand that, but how well does the Hanlin handle .lit .html. .txt ebooks without having to run it through a conversion program? I would love just to drop my files onto a sd card and read without converting.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:33 AM   #7
bigmoney
Connoisseur
bigmoney doesn't litterbigmoney doesn't litter

Device: BeBook w/ OpenInkpot
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalpimp View Post
yes I understand that, but how well does the Hanlin handle .lit .html. .txt ebooks without having to run it through a conversion program? I would love just to drop my files onto a sd card and read without converting.
From what I've seen at the BeBook forums (mybebook.com/forum), people is very happy with the recent firmware update when it comes to .lit files.
bigmoney is offline   Reply With Quote