Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-14-2008, 02:38 PM   #1
skoobwoman
Enthusiast
skoobwoman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2/Kindle DX/Astak Reader Pocket Pro/iPod Touch
Can't connect to network

I have to say that I have never seen such an user-unfriendly device. I've used the Sony Reader, the Kindle, iPods, Nokia internet tablet etc. and I've never found any of them so difficult to work with. All my other devices, I plug in and I'm connected to my computer. I can't for the life of me figure out why I can't connect. I'm on my work network. I put in my user name, password, domain. I still can't connect but it doesn't tell me why. The computer doesn't recognize the device is there.

Are only tech people buying this thing? Because among my friends, I'm the most tech-savvy--not easily intimidated by instruction manuals and such. And I can't picture a single person I know being able to figure this device out.

A device hasn't made me feel so inept before. Any suggestions as to how to troubleshoot the connection problem?
skoobwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:50 PM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
How are you trying to connect? When you say "the computer doesn't recognize the device", that sounds like you're doing a USB connection. If you're trying a network connection, then the iLiad is looking for a shared directory on your computer to sync with. Did you setup a directory, enable sharing/permissions, and then tell the iLiad what computer and directory it should use?

If you just want your computer to recognize the iLiad as a device (removable drive) and drag and drop files to it, then you should be using the USB connection.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2008, 03:25 PM   #3
skoobwoman
Enthusiast

Finally...

I had done all of the things you mentioned. What finally did it is putting it to a new network drive... Now I'm connected. Thanks for your response.

Edit: Nope. I was wrong. I'm tired and not thinking straight. My computer now recognizes it but I still can't connect.

Last edited by skoobwoman; 08-14-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:14 PM   #4
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
Not sure if any of these suggestions have any meaning because I am not sure where you are at with the connection. There are two things I have found that help me establish a connection. They maybe too basic for your problem but I think worth mentioning.

First, if you are in a book hit the top metal button with the squiggly arrow. It should get you to the screen that will say it is connected to the PC. I have found that if I do not see the message on the iLiad screen the device is not connected.

Second, even if you see the message on the iliad make sure you startup the iLiad Companion software. My PC finds the device but I never can access the iLiad without the Companions software running. It doesn't matter which you startup first the software or the connection.

One more thing, If I am connected to the computer when I turn on the iLiad the computer does not recognize it. I have to have the iLiad powered on before I connect to the PC.

Maybe one of these items will help you establish the connection.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:48 PM   #5
skoobwoman
Enthusiast

Finally connected--won't recognize user name password

I finally got connected. And now it keeps telling me that there's an error in my user name, email address or password. I've triple checked all of these. The email address and password are exactly as irex emailed them to me--every upper case, every lower case, ever underscore. I copied all of the computer information from the System folder--domain name, etc. What could it be? Could they really be asking for my internet user name and password even though they ask for the computer user name and password?

thanks! Lauren
Advert
Old 08-15-2008, 03:19 PM   #6
pauli
Groupie
pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, HTC Hero, DR800SG
you need the myirex account for connecting to iDS.

if you want to connect to your computer, you need the username, password, domain and share information, to let the iLiad log onto the domain where your computer is in, to connect to the shared folder on your computer.

I think you're mixing these two different connections
pauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:31 PM   #7
skoobwoman
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli View Post
you need the myirex account for connecting to iDS.

if you want to connect to your computer, you need the username, password, domain and share information, to let the iLiad log onto the domain where your computer is in, to connect to the shared folder on your computer.

I think you're mixing these two different connections
Nope. I've done both. Like I said, I used the irex login info they sent me and separately, all the info for my home computer. All this info is correct and I'm still not getting a successful login.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:29 AM   #8
engunneer
engunneer began at the beginning.

Device: iRex Iliad
What exactly are you expecting when it logs in? There will be nothing visibly different on the PC. I also assume you are clicking computer from the connection screen (shown as the wireless is booting up).
engunneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:23 AM   #9
dicky.woollard
dicky.woollard began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad reader edition
USB connection to a PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobwoman View Post
I had done all of the things you mentioned. What finally did it is putting it to a new network drive... Now I'm connected. Thanks for your response.

Edit: Nope. I was wrong. I'm tired and not thinking straight. My computer now recognizes it but I still can't connect.
Did you find a solution? I have the same problem (I think). When I plug into the PC the "PC COnnection" screen appears briefly then it goes back to the Device Manager screen. PC says it doesn't recognise the device....
dicky.woollard is offline   Reply With Quote