Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-09-2015, 10:24 AM   #1081
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
3 weeks
Given how long the line can be for some eBooks, 3 weeks is just too long a time to allow eBooks to be borrowed. 2 weeks should be the maximum time to borrow eBooks. That gives more people a chance to get them. 3 weeks gives a total of 18 borrows in one year while 2 weeks gives 26 borrows. Most do not return early. They just let it expire. So if someone has an eBook for 3 weeks and finishes in 2 weeks, the next person in line would need to wait an extra week for absolutely nothing.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:37 PM   #1082
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
3 weeks is too short for me. Our local library has 4 weeks for print books. I would like to see 4 weeks for ebooks. But I read more than one book at a time.
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2015, 12:40 PM   #1083
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan50 View Post
3 weeks is too short for me. Our local library has 4 weeks for print books. I would like to see 4 weeks for ebooks. But I read more than one book at a time.
So when you read an eBook from the library, read ONE at a time. 4 weeks is too long for me to wait for you.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:00 PM   #1084
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So when you read an eBook from the library, read ONE at a time. 4 weeks is too long for me to wait for you.

I am not a fast reader and I also read more than one book at a time. But the libraries in this area have a 14 day limit but you can recheck out books.
cvkemp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:07 PM   #1085
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
This is not two steps back, this is one fricking huge leap backwards. I need to know if I need to look at different libraries to see if I can put that title on hold if the library I am at now has too long a line.
I am hoping that this is either a bug that will soon be fixed or an ill-considered intentional change that they will revert.

Oddly, even though the user is no longer shown the exact number of people ahead of them for existing titles or any information about the waiting list for pre-release titles, that information is still present in hidden metadata on the web pages and my Overdrive Link calibre plugin is still able to use this to estimate wait times for books. I hope that they leave that information in place. (And I hope that I didn't just bring this oversight to someone's attention who will now go out and remove it!)
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2015, 02:21 PM   #1086
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
LOL! I like to switch between reading 2-3 books and before I know it that little email comes telling me my books are expiring
They get more ebooks and we will both be happy.
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:28 PM   #1087
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
The NC Digital Library now has "click here to learn how to return titles early" at the top of the screen. Maybe that will help get a few more people to return books when they're finished, instead of just waiting for them to expire.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:20 PM   #1088
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I am hoping that this is either a bug that will soon be fixed or an ill-considered intentional change that they will revert.

Oddly, even though the user is no longer shown the exact number of people ahead of them for existing titles or any information about the waiting list for pre-release titles, that information is still present in hidden metadata on the web pages and my Overdrive Link calibre plugin is still able to use this to estimate wait times for books. I hope that they leave that information in place. (And I hope that I didn't just bring this oversight to someone's attention who will now go out and remove it!)
I have got to learn how to use this plugin. The last time I looked at it, it looked complicated and confusing to me....but maybe I was just have a brain-dead day.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:23 PM   #1089
FizzyWater
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Well, the changes to the wait list displays was on purpose. They bragged about it on their blog here. The dyslexic font is a good thing, though.

Last edited by FizzyWater; 06-09-2015 at 10:24 PM. Reason: forgot the URL the first time around
Old 08-05-2015, 07:58 PM   #1090
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Has anybody else noticed that if you're paging through a category (or through your wish list) there is no longer an option to click an arrow to go to the first or last page? It's really annoying if there are a lot of pages and you can go back or forward by only a few pages at a time.

I already hated when they discontinued the alphabet that used to be at the bottom of the page if you had sorted in alphabetical order, so you could skip to whichever letter you wanted.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:07 PM   #1091
FizzyWater

Yep. They also moved the item count (e.g., the number of available books in your Wish List) from the top to the bottom.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:27 PM   #1092
4691mls
Wizard

I think there's somebody at Overdrive who doesn't have enough real work to do so he/she starts messing with the web site. Otherwise why would you try to fix something that's not broken?!
Old 08-05-2015, 09:55 PM   #1093
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
They haven't broken my carefully crafted bookmarks, at least. Although with the various stupid things they have done...

I do notice you can now checkout a book with javascript and not leave the page. But hah, returning it or putting it on hold still does load a new page.
You've been able to do that since forever, when un-bookmarking a book from your wishlist. Very logical priority, that.

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-05-2015 at 09:59 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:01 AM   #1094
woodr2011
Connoisseur
woodr2011 began at the beginning.

Device: PC and laptop
ADE 4 not working after Windows 10 upgrade...

Has anyone else experienced the following?

I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10 several days ago and now my Adobe Digital Editions 4 will not download .acsm files from my library website. I tried reinstalling the program and it wouldn't even load the ADE .epub guide during the installation!
woodr2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:55 AM   #1095
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
My beef: if there was a hold list for the same book at more than one of my OverDrive libraries, I used to be able to calculate which library would most likely be fastest for me to borrow it from (ie, by multiplying the number of waiters by the number of weeks in the default checkout option and dividing by number of copies). Now that the number of holds is no longer displayed on the book page, I have to get on the hold list at each library first, make my calculation, and then cancel all holds but one. Why, OverDrive?
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote