Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-12-2012, 03:23 AM   #121
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I just had a look at the actual fonts and found out that they were indeed updated. In addition to the previously installed fonts, the 3.4 firmware now provides additional Unicode support for a wide array of languages, most notably Arabic (without vowel signs) and Hebrew.
The main display font, PMN Caecilia LT 65 Medium, has been updated from
version 5.00 to 5.40. It still contains the same number of glyphs, but they added 339 standard kern pairs which should improve readability.

Last edited by Doitsu; 09-12-2012 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Removed incorrect code2000 reference.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:33 AM   #122
civiliza
civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: K3, PW2
I have just installed 3.4 via USB into an un-jailbreaked (jailbroken?) Kindle 3 and it seemed to go OK.

It is still connected via USB to charge it, but I "ejected" it from Windows then turned the Kindle off via the slider. For the first time since I received it the screen is blank.

What happened to the "dead authors" screen saver? Is this a one off or a "feature" of the 3.4 firmware?

EDIT - I turned it on and off again and the "dead authors" have returned. Guess this must have been a one off.

Last edited by civiliza; 09-12-2012 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Change "dead people" to "dead authors"
civiliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2012, 05:55 AM   #123
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroo View Post
I took the photos of the single line of text before update:

I think the difference is clearly visible.
Indeed it is.

The new font DOES look better on there. It's not a massive difference, but it's better none the less.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:05 AM   #124
ganburigan
ganburigan can illuminate an eclipseganburigan can illuminate an eclipseganburigan can illuminate an eclipseganburigan can illuminate an eclipseganburigan can illuminate an eclipseganburigan can illuminate an eclipseganburigan can illuminate an eclipseganburigan can illuminate an eclipseganburigan can illuminate an eclipseganburigan can illuminate an eclipseganburigan can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle3KB
I installed FW3.4 to a factory-resetted Kindle3KB.
My usual jb 0.5.1 don't work any longer.
Anybody able to help ?

Last edited by ganburigan; 09-12-2012 at 08:10 AM.
ganburigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:40 AM   #125
Fred Vargas
Fred Vargas has a spectacular aura aboutFred Vargas has a spectacular aura aboutFred Vargas has a spectacular aura aboutFred Vargas has a spectacular aura aboutFred Vargas has a spectacular aura aboutFred Vargas has a spectacular aura aboutFred Vargas has a spectacular aura aboutFred Vargas has a spectacular aura aboutFred Vargas has a spectacular aura aboutFred Vargas has a spectacular aura aboutFred Vargas has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 3
Anyone has a Special Offers kindle? After the upgrade my kindle dont show offers anymore and the screensavers is the "dead writers", this was my favorite change
Fred Vargas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #126
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
The update did not change my special offers.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #127
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I find that the soft keyboard on the Touch is much easier (and faster) to use than the physical keyboard on the K3.
Same here.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #128
xepe
xepe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Updated dictionary?

I think this would only apply to people that read in more than one language in their kindles, now you don't have to select a "primary dictionary" you just select the word and it would auto detect the language and display the definition.

Also the pop-up dictionary just got bigger, now 3 lines (vs previous 2 lines)

I think this is the killer feature in this update for me, I hated to change the "primary dictionary" everytime I switched to a different language book.
xepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #129
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
The main display font, PMN Caecilia LT 65 Medium, has been updated from
version 5.00 to 5.40. It still contains the same number of glyphs, but they added 339 standard kern pairs which should improve readability.

What about the condensed version? I'd say the most noticeable is the Sans-Serif font.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #130
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I find that the soft keyboard on the Touch is much easier (and faster) to use than the physical keyboard on the K3.
I'm use to a touch keyboard. I actually do blog posts on my Fire so I can see me loving the PW once I get it. The K4 Keyboard is okay. Nothing I want to write anything more than a few words with.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #131
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Here's my question, and maybe someone smarter than me knows!!!

If the K3/Keyboard now has kf8, what features are accessible to the Kindle Keyboard w/ 3.4. Surely, they all are not. Will we get magnification, tables, etc.

I do know we get embedded fonts, but that's pretty basic. Question is, what else do we get.

And I'm confused, there are kf8 files (books) w/ .mobi extension, and also kf8 files with azw3 extensions. I tested a kf8 book w/ a .mobi extension, and it had embedded fonts......so what is the purpose of books w/ azw3 extension.

Lastly, should I stick w/ raw mobi books, or start buying/downloading azw3 books?
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #132
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroo View Post
I took the photos of the single line of text before update:

<snip images>

I think the difference is clearly visible.
It looks more visible in your photo than it does in my Kindle..... although in saying that, the following day looking at them in daylight I can see a slight difference now. Maybe it's just better in the natural light, either way, your pic shows it very well (but still more noticeable than on the two Kindle's I am sitting looking at!

Last edited by soulfuldog; 09-12-2012 at 01:49 PM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #133
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
What about the condensed version? I'd say the most noticeable is the Sans-Serif font.
All the main fonts display fonts have been updated. The condensed font now also contains 339 kern pairs and OpenType layout tables, which should improve readability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xepe View Post
I think this would only apply to people that read in more than one language in their kindles, now you don't have to select a "primary dictionary" you just select the word and it would auto detect the language and display the definition.
This feature already worked in 3.3 as long as the book and the dictionary had the right language codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xepe View Post
Also the pop-up dictionary just got bigger, now 3 lines (vs previous 2 lines)
It’s also moves to the top of the page if you look up a word at the bottom of the page.

Even more important, at least for me, dictionary lookup now also supports non-Latin alphabets. I tested it with Russian and Greek dictionaries and both seem to work now.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:15 PM   #134
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Upgraded my KK. Compared the fonts to the same book on my Sony T1. No doubt about it - the KK fonts are darker & crisper. Before, they were pretty much the same on both devices.

Didn't lose my jailbreak screensavers. Faster than it was before (archives deleted).
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:14 PM   #135
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Has anyone gotten Whispersync for Voice to work? I grabbed both the free ebook and audible version of A Tale of Two Cities but can't find a way to invoke this new Voice feature.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote