Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #166
muttley_wr
muttley_wr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 keyboard
chapter marks are preserved?

Could anybody tell me if with new firmware the kindle still displays the chapter marks (the small dots in the progress bar at the bottom)? I would appreciate. Thanks in advance.
muttley_wr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #167
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
it showing a marker for where you started reading? thats all i see
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #168
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@muttley_wr: On the K3/4, yes. On the Touch, via a JBpatch patch. (Provided the file you're reading has a proper NCX logical TOC).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:23 PM   #169
Gort
Enthusiast
Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by muttley_wr View Post
Could anybody tell me if with new firmware the kindle still displays the chapter marks (the small dots in the progress bar at the bottom)? I would appreciate. Thanks in advance.
Yes, I can confirm that the chapter marks are there. Naturally, this depends on whether the one who created the ebook put them in. Also, the percentage number is a little smaller (I think).
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:33 PM   #170
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Hope you get it sorted.
Well, the unhelpful auto-answer from Amzn suggested a Restart or (if that failed), a restart via the power switch. Neither worked.

Instead, I then de-registered the Kindle (again, third time), shopped the store a bit, so it noticed I was a rogue Kindle on the loose, then registered it. After going back to the menus -- voila! Kindle special offers.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 08:45 PM   #171
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kolands kung-fu was too strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Well, the unhelpful auto-answer from Amzn suggested a Restart or (if that failed), a restart via the power switch. Neither worked.

Instead, I then de-registered the Kindle (again, third time), shopped the store a bit, so it noticed I was a rogue Kindle on the loose, then registered it. After going back to the menus -- voila! Kindle special offers.
HEH! Koland you hacker you!!! *doffs cap* Clearly genius.

This is perhaps the first device I ever heard of that FACTORY RESET, RESET and RESTART all do not reset in "meaningful" ways that the end user might expect.

Turn on and off again?

Kolands kung-fu was too strong

(and I demand an emoticon for :kungfu:, thanks for listening)
Old 09-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #172
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by muttley_wr View Post
Could have sworn they were on my Kindle store bought book, but are now missing after the update! Is anyone else having this problem?

However my Calibre converted mobi's show the chapter dots ok.
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #173
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@neonbible: You book doesn't have a proper logical TOC (NCX). (That's where the dots come from, chapter marks from the ncx).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #174
MickeyMark
Learning to read...
MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: K3-3G, KDXG
I've left my WiFi on for 2 days now, and my KK hasn't been updated. Is there something else that I need to do, or do I just need to be more patient?
MickeyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #175
miguel1626
Great Old One
miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, iPhone 8 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMark View Post
I've left my WiFi on for 2 days now, and my KK hasn't been updated. Is there something else that I need to do, or do I just need to be more patient?
If you're in a hurry, you can always download the update directly from Amazon. That's what I did.
miguel1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #176
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
I've never had an OTA update....even when I used to leave my wifi on all the time.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:03 PM   #177
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
I've never had an OTA update....even when I used to leave my wifi on all the time.
The same here. I've never had a update on any of my Kindles show up except once on the Kindle Fire.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:36 AM   #178
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMark View Post
Auto-updates are generally rolled out over the course of several months - there are an awful lot of Kindles out there for Amazon to send it to. If you want the update, just download it yourself from Amazon.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:58 PM   #179
zookeepr44
zookeepr44 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard wifi 3G
3.4 update

I updated my kindle keyboard with WiFi and 3G from 3.3 to 3.4 and now it doesn't work with 3G, has no voice and keeps locking up. Now what can I do? Anyone have any idea? Is there anyway to go back to 3.3 which worked flawlessly?
zookeepr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #180
twobob

ouch... that doesn't sound good.

hmm.. I think k3flasher is an option but it's a "radical procedure" if you don't have a 3.3 backup (which I presume you do not)

The only option I can think of however.

I just did this recently (did I write it up? possibly)
in essence:

get a de-bricking image (3.0.x is available I think)

apply via k3flasher - (which in itself has a learning curve, thread is easily found)

then update incrementally to 3.3 (mine actually just jumped to 3.3 for some reason when I applied the Amazon update, I'm sure I documented that somewhere)

Then... well since your 3.4 OTA update already delivered... that should be it.

This procedure IF DONE CORRECTLY won't lose your books etc.

Sorry mate. best I can think of. HTH