Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Kindle Keyboard 3.4 Software Update Coming Out Today!

From my chat with Amazon Tech Support:

apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
From my chat with Amazon Tech Support:

Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to try it out!
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Time to turn on wifi!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #5
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
# Start updatewait in background and exit
# ${_UPDATE_WAIT} &
# msg "Started ${_UPDATE_WAIT}" I

msg "Auto updates are disabled, exiting..." I
exit 0
I think I shall wait and see on this one...

The last minecraft update I was so excited about destroyed months of work. Totally irrelevant but provenance for the mindset.

Live. Learn. See what the early adopters say.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 05:40 PM   #6
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Somebody let me know if this destroys TTS (I know I'm harping on the same subject but hey...)
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #7
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

So, it looks like Whispersync for Voice will sync across devices. So, you CAN use you eInk Kindle and Audible on your phone, which is my use case.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000827761

It looks like you'll be able to add narrated audio for as little as $5.99 to any purchased Kindle book.

Now this is the kind of innovation that will keep people from pirating. Add features to make the reading experience BETTER with purchased content, instead of locking up content with DRM that is available for free from "other sources."

I'm guessing not everything is in place for this yet. One of my books is listed as WhisperSync for Voice ready, but won't let me download anything yet. I assume that we're going to need firmware updates and updated Audible apps for iPhone and Android to make it all work.

I've missed reading in bed at night since I went to audiobooks. The ability to keep listening in the car while still reading at home is going to be incredible.

Even though my Kindle Keyboard works fine, I might still buy a PaperWhite just to "reward" Amazon for their rolling out this feature I have been begging for.

I sent Amazon an email 2 years ago, asking for this exact feature. The smart man would have patented it, and sold the patent to Bezos and Co.

Last edited by apastuszak; 09-06-2012 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 09-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

err. the new kindle has no sound of course... just saying.
Seems like a bit of a contradiction to me.

Sure you could rig something together but an all-in-one was there for the taking.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
So, it looks like Whispersync for Voice will sync across devices. So, you CAN use you eInk Kindle and Audible on your phone, which is my use case.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000827761
Those earbuds are going to sound awful and they won't be comfortable. I've used some that looked just like those.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #10
apastuszak
Evangelist

I don't need it all on one device. Using an eInk plus a phone is a best case scenario for me. If I get a call in the car, the Audible app auto pauses. If my Kindle is plugged into my stereo, then I have to grab the Kindle and pause it and then answer the phone. Not the best scenario in a car doing 60 MPH on the highway.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #11
twobob

There are ones out there that do a decent job, but they are NO cheap.

probably £100 could get you a decent reference pair these days, more for REAL audiophile quality. http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-CX-.../dp/B004CQNTF6

But yeah. Headphones? why... I want to hear it in the bath. Or anywhere.

Guess I will be forced to go down this road or bulk buy audio capable kindles until Amazon decide to put the $2 worth of Soundcard and port back in...

Or give me a usb port that I can plug a $5 usb soundcard into.

Or - well the list goes on....

If it works for you in the car then excellent. A "use case" that it IS good for. Chalk it up!
Old 09-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Those earbuds are going to sound awful and they won't be comfortable. I've used some that looked just like those.
JVC Marshmallows! They like $15 and wonderful! I could sleep with them in. I use them on my Sansa Clip Zip.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #13
noisy
noisy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
My conversation about this same subject:

Quote:
Me:I found information (a rumor) that today there is software update for Kindle Keyboard to 3.4. Can you confirm that?
Shiela:I've checked on this and found that the Kindle Keyboard software update failed to launch today because there was an error. The update is not yet available.
Me:So this meens that there is a high propability, that new software will be available soon, right?
Shiela:That's right!

Last edited by noisy; 09-06-2012 at 07:23 PM.
noisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Hmm. I want to go the other way: add ebooks to my audiobooks. Will they have a deal for that?

Only 121 titles with this feature at the moment.

I think this is pretty brilliant, however. iBooks and Nook have a 'read aloud' feature but having all this content in the same file can make it pretty unwieldy and suitable only for children's books (with only a few dozen pages of text). Plus in general, the audio and ebook publishing rights are often held by different companies, limiting what is possible to put together. Amazon's scheme seems more flexible and rights-friendly. It would be great if they add the highlighting feature to the iOS and Android apps at some point. Of course you can have audible playing in the background and follow along with the Kindle app, just as you can now (without automatic location sync).

Not sure I understand why firmware needs to be updated. Seems like only the Audible apps would need that (just checked: no iOS or Google Play update—but maybe it is already in the current apps). Would there need to be an update for KT/K4 as well, or has this feature been anticipated for awhile?

Also wondering if audible app's notes/bookmarks will sync also. THAT would be awfully nice! I don't see the point of creating them in the first place, since currently they go away when you remove the file from the app. Sent them this suggestion quite awhile ago, good to see they were taking notes. <g>

Wonder what else is in 3.4. Surely not KF8 support...

Last edited by tomsem; 09-06-2012 at 07:42 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:43 PM   #15
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
There are ones out there that do a decent job, but they are NO cheap.

probably £100 could get you a decent reference pair these days, more for REAL audiophile quality. http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-CX-.../dp/B004CQNTF6

But yeah. Headphones? why... I want to hear it in the bath. Or anywhere.

Guess I will be forced to go down this road or bulk buy audio capable kindles until Amazon decide to put the $2 worth of Soundcard and port back in...

Or give me a usb port that I can plug a $5 usb soundcard into.

Or - well the list goes on....

If it works for you in the car then excellent. A "use case" that it IS good for. Chalk it up!
REAL audiophile quality? Hardly. Their i80's will get you closer to "real" audiophile quality, but they are still consumer earphones.

Sennheiser i80

If you like Sennheiser, their new i800's will be out this month.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote