Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 12-30-2010, 01:32 PM   #1
fgruber
Edge User

question for owners of both the pocket edge AND the big Edge

This is a questions for people that own both the big edge and the pocket edge.

Have anyone found a way to sync the big and small edge? I imagine it can be confusing to keep copies of journals and ebooks annotations etc in two devices.

How are journals written in the pocket edge displayed in the big edge? And viceversa?

Thanks
Fred

Old 12-30-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
seagal
Edge User

I guess ebooks annotation is hard to export, copy and sync. Journal files store in "/sdcard/.edge/.esi-content/" if you add it in library. Library database store in "/sdcard/.edge/.esi-data/". If you don't know how to use SQLLite database, I think it is hard to sync two databases between two eDGes without any aid tool. And I also wish entrourage could add a function to help us export annotations so that we can find a way to convert it by ourselves.

Last edited by seagal; 12-30-2010 at 02:22 PM.

Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 02:06 PM   #3
borisb
Edge User

I don't know of any way to sync the libraries of the two.

In theory you could use a PC connected to both eDGe's via separate mini-usb cables to file-sync the Library folders but this wouldn't include the Library database(s), or a similar method. Someone like mrspaceman, who's done some work investigating Library access, might have some insight.

So far, my usage of the two is quite different, so that the books I read on the EE are different from those on the PE (i.e., technical vs novels), although only the novels are important in terms of where I left off reading. Similarly, my Journal usage on each is different (meeting notes vs grocery lists and reminders), the former often being transfered to my main PC anyway. The PE Journal page size is much smaller, so it would probably show up as taking a smaller portion of the larger EE eink screen. I've not been able to find the .esj journal files lately, so I can't even try transferring them (although it wouldn't work anyway since the Library doesn't pick up new files dropped in its storage folders). Exporting to PDF is different animal, of course, and I know from viewing PE Journal PDFs on my PC that they show up as "tiny" pages (i.e., the size they are on the PE).

Syncing other things like browser bookmarks and app settings is hit and miss. Some apps have settings import/export, and there are apps that will import/export browser bookmarks. Ultimately it's a bit of work to get the new eDGe set up with the same setup as the existing eDGe. Dropbox certainly makes things easier.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:12 PM   #4
borisb
Edge User

Thanks seagal I finally found the *.esj files in \sdcard\.edge\.esi-content\, named jrnl_<8 digit hex>.esj. I don't have a /sdcard/.edge/.esi-data/ folder, though, at least not visible in ES File Explorer with "Show hidden files" enabled.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
cheyennedonna
Edge User

I don't own the PE, but, at the end of a semester I move all my class info - including journals - to my SD card. If I click on a journal I get a popup stating I need to add to the library to open it. You could try transferring a journal by copying to SD and moving with Dropbox to the PE - add to library and see what happens.

Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 02:31 PM   #6
fgruber
Edge User

Yes this would be something interesting to try. I really wonder how journals from the big edge are displayed in the pocket edge and viceversa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyennedonna View Post
I don't own the PE, but, at the end of a semester I move all my class info - including journals - to my SD card. If I click on a journal I get a popup stating I need to add to the library to open it. You could try transferring a journal by copying to SD and moving with Dropbox to the PE - add to library and see what happens.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:50 PM   #7
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgruber View Post
Yes this would be something interesting to try. I really wonder how journals from the big edge are displayed in the pocket edge and viceversa
Well, I tried this and the large EE journal displays on the PE, but you only see the top left corner (i.e. as much as fits on the smaller screen) of each page. There's no option to pan or zoom. Going the other way, from PE to EE is no problem as the smaller PE page size shows just fine on the larger EE screen.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:07 PM   #8
fgruber
Edge User

Thanks

So I guess what we need is to have a different page template in the big edge that will show the size of the pocket edge screen so that we can create a journal that will open fine in the pocket edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
Well, I tried this and the large EE journal displays on the PE, but you only see the top left corner (i.e. as much as fits on the smaller screen) of each page. There's no option to pan or zoom. Going the other way, from PE to EE is no problem as the smaller PE page size shows just fine on the larger EE screen.