Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 04-14-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
mGorilla
mGorilla began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Extracting html from Mobi on OSX

Hello all,

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but I feel like I've been searching quite a bit and cannot find a solution. I was curious if there was a tool to extract the html file out of a mobi file. Just how Sigil can open up an ePub and one can view the html formatting and file structure of the ePub.

I wanted to do the same with a mobi file but can figure out how to do so. I used eCub and extracted the file to html... but that seems to do some sort of reconverting. Is there such a tool available for osx? If not osx what tools and for what platforms?
mGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:53 PM   #2
mGorilla

Doh doh doh! Sure enough I just answered my own question and found mobi2html perl script. If there are any other tools, do share. Cheers!
Advert
Old 04-14-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Mobiunpack (scroll down to post #5 for the latest version and an AppleScript wrapper). It also outputs images and an OPF file, though no NCX so you'd have to rebuild that by hand.

If you're feeling ambitious, you could also try installing the Perl EBook-Tools from CPAN.

Hope this helps, and welcome to MobileRead!
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:08 PM   #4
mGorilla

Sweet. Lovin' the Ebook-tools. Merci
Old 05-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #5
illustrata
Enthusiast
illustrata began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, ipad, kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Mobiunpack (scroll down to post #5 for the latest version and an AppleScript wrapper). It also outputs images and an OPF file, though no NCX so you'd have to rebuild that by hand.
So...could I beg your indulgence and get a little more specific info on how to run Mobiunpack? I have downloaded python, mobiunpack.py, and the Mobipocket Unpacker script. I'm just not sure where to go from there and I think this would really come in handy.
illustrata is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2011, 02:58 PM   #6
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
It's very easy to use. Using the Terminal app in the Applications/Utilities folder, just type "python", then drag and drop the mobiunpack.py script from the Finder onto the Terminal window, then do the same with the mobi file you are trying to unpack. It'll automatically fill out a command that will look like:

python /Users/you/Desktop/mobiunpack.py /Users/you/Desktop/mybook.mobi

After you press Return, the rest is automatic and you should have an unpacked html + images + opf wherever your original Mobi file was. You can alias the command for quicker reference and less typing.

Also, you can drag and drop directly onto the AppleScript version, but I've never used that and don't know exactly how it's supposed to work.

Hope this helps.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:00 AM   #7
illustrata
Enthusiast
illustrata began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, ipad, kindle
In the name of everyone to whom all of this is not obvious,

BLESS

YOU.
illustrata is offline   Reply With Quote