Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-22-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
0.5.14 apostrophe's missing...

I converted a document to LRF just after updating to .5.14 and I noticed in the LRF that none of the apostrophe's carried over. I checked my html document and the apostrophe's aren't using any weird codes. they look like regular apostrophes.

I wasn't sure if I was the only one noticing this problem?

edit: checked another file I converted with .5.13 and some of the apostrophe's are missing from it as well.

Last edited by Amalthia; 06-22-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:23 PM   #2
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
My guess would be that LRF uses the apostrophe in a specific manner. Either the conversion process became confused (a missing closing apostrophe for instance) or the original file was not specifically designed for LRF output - so the apostrophes were handled incorrectly. Some ebook formats require that special characters use a specific sequence of characters or special coding.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabardeyn View Post
My guess would be that LRF uses the apostrophe in a specific manner. Either the conversion process became confused (a missing closing apostrophe for instance) or the original file was not specifically designed for LRF output - so the apostrophes were handled incorrectly. Some ebook formats require that special characters use a specific sequence of characters or special coding.
I'm just not sure what was wrong with the apostrophes I had in the html document, but in word pad I replaced them with the Wordpad default apostrohpe and tonight when I get home I'll try and re-convert and see if that made a difference. I do a lot of my editing in Word and then copy and paste to Wordpad before saving the html. Maybe the Word had smart quotes on?
Old 06-22-2009, 11:47 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's most likely caused by the apostrophe being a smart quote
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:29 AM   #5
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It's most likely caused by the apostrophe being a smart quote
I think whoever invented smart quotes kind of needs to die. running off to figure out how to disable smart quotes in MS Word.

Will let you guys know if it works.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:55 AM   #6
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
I think whoever invented smart quotes kind of needs to die. running off to figure out how to disable smart quotes in MS Word.
If you're using the latest Word, it's Office Button, Word Options, Proofing, AutoCorrect Options. Then uncheck everything in the AutoCorrect and AutoCorrect as you type tabs, specifically, the "straight quotes" with "smart quotes" repalcement option.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:58 AM   #7
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
If you're using the latest Word, it's Office Button, Word Options, Proofing, AutoCorrect Options. Then uncheck everything in the AutoCorrect and AutoCorrect as you type tabs, specifically, the "straight quotes" with "smart quotes" repalcement option.
thanks! will implement this correction so this doesn't happen again!
Old 06-24-2009, 08:28 PM   #8
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Try opening your html in a text editor (not word!!) and changing/converting it to utf-8 instead of ANSI.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:07 PM   #9
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
Try opening your html in a text editor (not word!!) and changing/converting it to utf-8 instead of ANSI.
this is the weird part I did that and while everything is now converting properly to LRF when I convert the same document to MOBI I get those blocks instead of commas or dashes.

it's the weirdest thing. I'm thinking I had to have changed some setting in Wordpad (but wordpad doens't have many settings to mess up!) I do almost all my html coding in word pad. Though sometimes i open it in Word and do the replace all stuff (am thinking of moving to Notepad++ instead)

This is driving me a bit nuts now. the code works for one format conversion but not another and I'm not sure at what stage of the process the commas and dashes got converted to smart quotes or how to remove them from a document and switch them out with regular text.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:40 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
bump!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:24 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I need the HTML to debug this.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:16 PM   #12
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I need the HTML to debug this.
I think what had happened is that the doc file I original got had smart quotes, commas, dashes all over the place. I ended up going back to the original HTML postings of the story and merging it together. in my own Word program and I didn't have any problems from that.

I can try and attach the original file she sent to me if you think that would help?

All I did with that is convert to html and load it to Calibre.

though I'm now wondering if it's a unicode issue? Because when i've run across HTML pages that have blocks when I open I open it in Word, all I have to do is reopen the file in Notepad save as UTF-8 and then when I re-open the file in Word all the blocks are gone.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:20 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Certainly sounds lke a unicode issue.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:07 PM   #14
Amalthia
Wizard

I think the annoying part is I'm not sure how to check the unicode before I convert to html and load to Calibre. I really have to go through the file more carefully now because otherwise I'd miss the missing apostrophe's and the random blocks. Basically, this just threw me for a loop. i've been creating LRF files for some time now and it's only recently that I've had unicode problems pop up but I'm not sure why it's happening now instead of sooner. (I'm going to reformat my computer this upcoming weekend...I'll be starting off with a clean slate...so maybe this won't happen again)
Old 07-10-2009, 07:14 PM   #15
Amalthia
Wizard

Update: I think I may have figured out what I was doing wrong.

In most HTML conversions this line is added. "<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />"

However, I was just deleting all the metadata and I think for some documents that wasn't a good thing to do?

Not sure if this theory will pan out or is correct but I think for the time being I'll make sure I don't delete that piece of metadata code. I only started deleting the metadata recently which is pretty much when I started to notice that I was missing apostrophes and getting blocks instead of commas.