Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-21-2014, 10:22 AM   #1
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Kindle Voyage - First Impressions

I'll start off with what I think about it. Please add your impressions as you get yours. It arrived at 9:30 am by USPS. I rushed to the mailbox and hurried in to open up the box.

The box is small. When I first saw the Kindle, I was amazed at how good it looked. I asked my wife what she thought. She said it was very thin and asked if this was the last one I would buy. Ha-ha.

It is fast. Set up was easy and the Voyage naturally went to the settings I had on my PW2. I'm adding all the content from each of my collections which I updated last night. It's going very fast.

The auto brightness feature seems to be OK. It went to my normal number I use when I read in the kitchen where I am now. The page turn buttons work on the home screens and in collections as well as books.

Pretty much the same menu options, fonts, sizes as before. The screen color is almost the same as my PW2. If the yellow tint bothers you, be warned - the graphic on the box has a yellow tint, too. A subtle message?

I like the page buttons. Nice to have that option back. The best of both worlds.
On screen taps and pagepress respond at the same speed.

The Voyage is really light and smaller and thinner than the PW2.

Bottom line. Big thumbs up. I'll be checking out the 3g at lunch today.

What do you think?

Dean

Last edited by RDaneel54; 10-21-2014 at 10:26 AM. Reason: spelling and typos
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:26 AM   #2
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
The box is tiny!!! Just got mine at best buy. Need to drive back home to open it.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:31 AM   #3
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
I hope someone can comparison pic Voyage / H2O. Really curious.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:39 AM   #4
positively4th
Enthusiast
positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis, Xiaomi Inkpad X, Xiaomi Inkpalm 5
When I got my Paperwhite v1 I was delighted by it as it was an enormous upgrade over the previous generation, but was always bugged by the lights being somewhat splotchy (most noticeable on the bottom of the screen). I upgraded to Paperwhite v2, and while the lighting was improved quite a bit, it still wasn't perfectly even... so while the v2 was the best ereader at that point (in my opinion), it was a somewhat disappointing upgrade to still have uneven lights.

How even is the lighting on the Voyage? Is it splotchy at all or are there any spots that are brighter than others? I'll have mine later today but am just curious
positively4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:46 AM   #5
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nihilism View Post
I can do that but not until the 6th November
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:50 AM   #6
positively4th
Enthusiast
positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nihilism View Post
I saw a post on Reddit with this comparison (can click the imgur link in the main post to see the pictures):

http://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comme...perwhite_2014/
Old 10-21-2014, 10:50 AM   #7
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Check these in a dark room or closet.

1. Does the Voyage still have the little shadows at the bottom of the screen like the PW?

2. If you angle the Voyage so that you are looking down at the frontlight LEDs, how many separate lights do you see?

3. At the highest brightness, is it substantially brighter than the PW?

4. At the lowest brightness, is it darker than the PW?

5. Does the screen background look substantially whiter that the PW, or is there a distinct colored tint (bluish or yellowish)?
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:16 AM   #8
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by positively4th View Post
When I got my Paperwhite v1 I was delighted by it as it was an enormous upgrade over the previous generation, but was always bugged by the lights being somewhat splotchy (most noticeable on the bottom of the screen). I upgraded to Paperwhite v2, and while the lighting was improved quite a bit, it still wasn't perfectly even... so while the v2 was the best ereader at that point (in my opinion), it was a somewhat disappointing upgrade to still have uneven lights.

How even is the lighting on the Voyage? Is it splotchy at all or are there any spots that are brighter than others? I'll have mine later today but am just curious
Very even. Actually one of the first things I noticed.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:21 AM   #9
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks for your impressions, RDaneel54. Glad you're happy. How much of an improvement do you feel the screen is from the PW? Is the contrast noticeably better? Are the fonts noticeably darker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by positively4th View Post
I saw a post on Reddit with this comparison (can click the imgur link in the main post to see the pictures):

http://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comme...perwhite_2014/
Unless, I missed a link somewhere, that's compared to the paperwhite, not the voyage.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:22 AM   #10
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDaneel54 View Post
Very even.
Yay! With the uneven lighting and unwelcome bezel page turns on my PW1, I may order another Voyage later and dump the PW1.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:31 AM   #11
positively4th
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Thanks for your impressions, RDaneel54. Glad you're happy. How much of an improvement do you feel the screen is from the PW? Is the contrast noticeably better? Are the fonts noticeably darker?

Unless, I missed a link somewhere, that's compared to the paperwhite, not the voyage.
You're right, my mistake. I guess that explains why it was posted 2 days ago (before the voyage was out)
Old 10-21-2014, 11:58 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
delete post

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-21-2014 at 12:00 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:54 PM   #13
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Expecting the UPS truck any minute now. Rushed home thinking the box was already there, soaking in the rain. Thank goodness my guy is late today!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:00 PM   #14
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Expecting the UPS truck any minute now. Rushed home thinking the box was already there, soaking in the rain. Thank goodness my guy is late today!
Hurry UPS guy, Hurrrrryyyy!!!
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:05 PM   #15
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Here, UPS guy, here
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote