Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #23476
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I am with VydorScope on this. It sounds like you think it can work and if so, go for it. Personally, I would pay a little more and not take the risk. But that is my choice based on my personality and my parents.

To be honest with you, my parents would not even make the offer. They always told us we had 6 months once we finished school (college, high school, whatever the final degree was) and we did not live at home during school, we lived on campus. They actually packed my brother up at the 9 month mark when he moved across country and stayed with them while getting on his feet after he dropped out of college.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #23477
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I'm with Stitchawl, ProfCrash and VydorScope - I would tread VERY carefully with this one. The savings are clearly attractive, but think long and hard about the strains it will put on both relationships (your bf and your parents). And be prepared to give up on a sex life...

They do say you can never go home, and what I think is meant by that is that once you do (and I have experienced this), your parents start to treat you like a kid again, rather than the mature adult you now are, causing conflict. If you were asking me if I would do it, I would say a definite no, but then maybe your parents are more enlightened than mine are/were.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #23478
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Working on my first round of tea.

When my wife and I got married there was a gap of a couple of months between us moving out of our respective small places and when our new (to us) house was ready. We moved in with my folks. It was very good at times, and uncomfortably close at others. In all honesty the only way we made it work was by spending weekends at a nearby hotel. It was still the cheapest alternative, but the hotel was a very good and necessary expense.

Good luck!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #23479
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Helplessly hoping
Her harlequin hovers nearby
Awaiting a word
Gasping at glimpses
Of gentle true spirit
He runs, wishing he could fly
Only to trip at the sound of good-bye

Wordlessly watching
He waits by the window
And wonders
At the empty place inside
Heartlessly helping himself to her bad dreams
He worries
Did he hear a good-bye? Or even hello?

They are one person
They are two alone
They are three together
They are four for each other

( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doIEwzc6k_k )

Good morning, everyone! It's the opening of another Wednesday! Yippee!
I have a mug of East India Company's "Assam" tea sitting at hand, and french bread, cold pressed extra virgin olive oil to dip it in, and some goat cheese. (I'm feeling very 'mountain rural' today.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
To be honest with you, my parents would not even make the offer. They always told us we had 6 months once we finished school (college, high school, whatever the final degree was)
This is a cultural (perhaps anomaly in your case) event usually location-specific. In northern East Coast cities and mid-America rural, is it MORE common for children to live with parents until much older. In NYC, most will remain at home until married, as the cost of finding their own place is so dear. On the west coast, it MORE common for the whole family to get involved with the child's move out of the house at age 18 (or when finished school.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
And be prepared to give up on a sex life...
Wave 'goodbye' to spontaneity. No more sex on the kitchen table...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
In all honesty the only way we made it work was by spending weekends at a nearby hotel. It was still the cheapest alternative, but the hotel was a very good and necessary expense.
In Japan, there are 'Love Hotels' surrounding almost every large train station. They are 'by the hour' totally discrete, clean, 'hot pillow' places. The parking lots have curtains so no one can see your car or license plate. The cashier can't even see the faces of the people checking in. Mom and Dad can go and have some noisy time together and not worry about the kids in the next room. When you house has interior walls made of paper, it's hard to have any privacy.

Time for one more cup of tea...

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:49 AM   #23480
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Peppermint tea
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:16 AM   #23481
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Iridal - It is a hard decision to make and lots of variables to the decision. Every situation and couple is different. It may be easier for you to be comfortable back at home, but it may be a bit harder for your fiance; you just never know.

Best of luck on whatever you decide to do.

Fresh coffee in my cup.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:43 AM   #23482
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Iced sweet tea.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:20 AM   #23483
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I'm with Stitchawl, ProfCrash and VydorScope - I would tread VERY carefully with this one. The savings are clearly attractive, but think long and hard about the strains it will put on both relationships (your bf and your parents). And be prepared to give up on a sex life...

They do say you can never go home, and what I think is meant by that is that once you do (and I have experienced this), your parents start to treat you like a kid again, rather than the mature adult you now are, causing conflict. If you were asking me if I would do it, I would say a definite no, but then maybe your parents are more enlightened than mine are/were.
There's absolutely no way I would give up my sex life! We're not the kind of couple that screams like they're being tortured every time they have a go at it. Our bed doesn't squeak and we can be quiet. They know we're a couple, and sex is a part of every relationship. They probably don't want to, but they'll have to accept that their daughter is sexually active.

I think my parents will except that we have our own lives now. And in case they don't, we plan to make it very clear to them that we will follow the house rules but that those rules can't be seem as the ones I had to follow when I was 18.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post

Wave 'goodbye' to spontaneity. No more sex on the kitchen table...
Yes, of course ... This is one of the things we're worried about, because we're all about spontaneity

Quote:
This is a cultural (perhaps anomaly in your case) event usually location-specific. In northern East Coast cities and mid-America rural, is it MORE common for children to live with parents until much older. In NYC, most will remain at home until married, as the cost of finding their own place is so dear. On the west coast, it MORE common for the whole family to get involved with the child's move out of the house at age 18 (or when finished school.)
Some of our friends have moved back home while they were building. We even moved in with my grandparents when my parents were building their house. So it's quite common here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Iridal - It is a hard decision to make and lots of variables to the decision. Every situation and couple is different. It may be easier for you to be comfortable back at home, but it may be a bit harder for your fiance; you just never know.

Best of luck on whatever you decide to do.

Fresh coffee in my cup.
Thanks It is very hard, and we're still looking at apartments as well as thinking about moving in with them. We're trying to find apartments that are rented for about 400€, and they are very hard to find. When we do find them, they usually turn out to be poorly maintained. But even with rent that low, the difference in money saved would be about 8000€ in a year.
We're taking our time deciding. We have until the end of the month to make a decision.

I had cappuccino in my cup, it's all gone now. Time for breakfast and then hopefully I can get some work done today!

Last edited by Iridal; 02-06-2013 at 03:26 AM.
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:51 AM   #23484
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
It's been a very long day today. My 2-month-old smartphone was pickpocketed.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:27 AM   #23485
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
In my cup: green tea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:39 AM   #23486
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Oh, how awful. Commiserations.

Coke Zero #1 in my cup.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:45 AM   #23487
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:

Sorry for you - hope you're insured ...

Coffee Black #2 coming up.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:04 AM   #23488
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:

Stitchawl

Not sure that is right, I see it more as a generational than location based thing. In the N/E USA where I was born, my generation was kicked out on the street before the ink dried on the diploma, but my sisters generation (she is much much younger) stays home much longer.

Still though, in most of the families I know in the n/e USA - once the kid is out, they stay out.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:04 AM   #23489
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Dang! Sorry to hear that!
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:29 AM   #23490
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I was raised by parents born and raised in the Chicago area. I grew up in New England and did not know too many kids who lived with their parents past college. Some of my friends in California never moved out. Due to the crappy economy, you see more multi-generational homes right now. I would still be hesitant to move back in with my parents. It would be uncomfortable.

Bummer about your phone. In the US there is real pressure on companies to brick a stolen cell phone to make them less attractive for theft.

Cream Assam today. Lucas had a rough night, which means I had a rough night. I am seriously thinking of hiring someone to come in and handle the sleep training because we have clearly fucked it up.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
languages, tea enthusiasts, what is in your cup?