Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-23-2006, 09:58 PM   #1
jimbobuk
jimbobuk began at the beginning.

Can you download the original "install" of books off the reader?

None of the books that come with it are THAT important but its nice to have ones that are formatted to work straight away. I tried using the connect software but was unable to copy the contents of the reader off it back onto the hdd.

Is this at all possible?

I am setting it up to give it as a present so I wanted to leave everything as is.. in the end i've just added some new books to an SD card so i could leave the contents the same.

Has anyone found out if it adversely effects the batterly life using SD card instead of the onboard memory? I'd assume it loads everything for the book off the card into onboard memory cache anyway, and from then on in its like reading out of memory.. as such it shouldn't have any effect.. even if it was constantly using SD or memory stick i dont know if this would effect it adversely or not.

Cheers

Merry Christmas.
jimbobuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 10:31 PM   #2
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
You can drag files back from the Reader back to the library folder, no problem. There's also copies of all the books, pictures, music, etc originally on the Reader on the install CD in the "Content" folder.

You can add books to the Reader without disturbing the content already on there, too. Just drag them to the Reader icon and it will add it to the contents already there.

If you're setting it up as present, though, be careful you don't wind up setting up a Connect account the "giftee" can't access on the Connect website. Not a problem if it's a gift for an immediate family member and you're planning to keep in on your account. Could be a problem if it's for Aunt Flossie in North Dakota, though.

From an engineering standpoint, there must be some impact on battery life if you use an SD card, but the battery life of the Reader is so long you'll never notice it as a practical matter.

Merry Christmas to you!

Cheers,
Bob
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2006, 10:41 PM   #3
jimbobuk

if only i'd quit and gone to bed.. i carried on testing the books i'd uploaded, got a crash, and tried resetting it with the hole next to the power switch.. no manual pdf on this machine to realise it WASNT the reset switch and i've gone and pushed the spring off the power button so it no longer automatically returns, or slides as easily.. thankfully everything else is ok now - after resetting properly on the rear of the reader.. i just need to figure out from those that have taken them apart how easy it may be to fix this power button.. slide its spring back on.

Still gutted, but even more gutted when i thought it wouldn't reset AND i'd broken the power switch.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:44 PM   #4
jimbobuk

Ohh, and i've kind of started asking about this on this thread, if its more relevant.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2272#post52272

Should perhaps move to a whole new thread about the possibility of fixing that area of the reader.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:04 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobuk
got a crash, and tried resetting it with the hole next to the power switch..
Oh dear . That "hole" is, in fact, what the "charging" LED shines through. The reset hole is in the back of the machine, near the bottom. You have to unclip the "cover" (the "book cover" that is, not the machine's case) to get at it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2006, 11:25 PM   #6
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
I think the book are also on the included cd.
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:42 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwing
I think the book are also on the included cd.
Yes, the books installed by default on the Reader are on the "Connect" CD-ROM, albeit with incomprehensible filenames. The only one I've left on my Reader is the operating manual.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote