Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-12-2009, 04:49 AM   #1
skibbs
skibbs began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 (Global)
Thumbs down New Kindle 2 (eBay) registered to someone else already?! Fraud?!

I purchased a Kindle 2 from a seller that had a lot of them for sell, listed as "BRAND NEW, SEALED - NOT REFURBISHED" among other things. The condition was "new" as well. It was $279.99 shipped, which was actually reasonable after the 20% Bing Cashback deal (-$56) and no WA sales tax (-$28). It felt legit since it was priced slightly above Amazon's MSRP as well, plus the seller had 1300 positive feedback with a 100% rating. It took 3 days to arrive via USPS and I received it today, I took it home and opened the box (it was sealed and I had to rip the cardboard tab to open one end. Inside, the Kindle was covered in the plastic protective sticker and everything looked pretty new. I started it up to link it to my parents' Amazon account (it was a XMAS present for them) and was shocked to see "shawna's kindle" and when I went to the settings it was registered to someone named Shawna Adams - WTF?! I thought maybe Amazon just threw in random machine names (longshot, I know) so I tried to buy a book and it successfully charged her and downloaded it!!! The weird thing is that it says the Kindle 2 was registered TODAY - December 11th. How is it possible that someone else registered this Kindle today when it had been in my mailbox all day and was in transit the prior 3 days from CA? Has anyone encountered this? Amazon customer service was helpful but was stumped... Are there fake Kindles that share serial numbers with legit Kindles? I'm pissed...
skibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:04 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
It's more likely ineptitude, not fraud. The seller needs to deregister the Kindle from his account.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Actually, I bet I know what happened. Someone else on here mentioned that they had one in which the wireless did not work. They bought from a guy on ebay who sold about 500 Kindles (NEW - SEALED). Turns out (supposedly) a truck full 'o Kindles got robbed, and Amazon probably turned the wireless off on those.

Yours could be one of those that was stolen but remotely registered. Ask them to deregister it and give them a link to the seller you bought from.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:54 AM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I bet if you call Amazon they will hook it up!
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:07 PM   #5
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
When you buy a Kindle from Amazon it ships already registered to the purchaser's account. If it is resold or given as a gift it has to be deregistered and then registered to the new account.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2009, 12:22 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Can you connect to Whispernet with the Kindle? If so, you can unregister it right from the Kindle.

Then you can register it to your account.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote