Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #16
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Seems to me by my quick testing that the partial refresh is even cleaner looking now with the 4.1 firmware. Not that I was complaining before, I wasn't a stickler for some faint ghosting using the partial refresh setting, but now the ghosting is hardly visible at all when I refresh the page.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #17
dukesilver
Connoisseur
dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
So does the new font make it look better than the KT now? I wonder if the Touch will be receiving a similar font update soon.
dukesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #18
rueben_
rueben_ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
is there any way to update my kindle if I had the Jailbreak hack i keep getting unsuccessful
rueben_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #19
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesilver View Post
So does the new font make it look better than the KT now? I wonder if the Touch will be receiving a similar font update soon.
From what I've read there is NO NEW font. It still has the same three font choices, but supposedly they have improved the rendering of these. I wouldn't look for new fonts on the current Kindle eInks. Amazon has stuck with these three lame fonts for ever now and they don't seem to be interested in EVER giving us more choices. At least on the K4 you can substitute your own fonts without jailbreaking. On the K5 no such luck.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #20
dukesilver
Connoisseur
dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
From what I've read there is NO NEW font. It still has the same three font choices, but supposedly they have improved the rendering of these. I wouldn't look for new fonts on the current Kindle eInks. Amazon has stuck with these three lame fonts for ever now and they don't seem to be interested in EVER giving us more choices. At least on the K4 you can substitute your own fonts without jailbreaking. On the K5 no such luck.
Yeah, I read that too. I should have actually asked if the font rendering is any sharper than the KTs. I'm just curious how the two compare now.
dukesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #21
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
I dunno, the on/off WiFi thing seems to be more in line with how people are used to setting cell phones in "Airplane mode" so I think we'd be used to it. I sort of like seeing a little airplane in the top now when the wifi is off.
It isn't terminology that annoys me, what they did was take the menu option away from us instead of simply change the wording on the menu. You now have to jump out of book and go to settings to turn WiFi off once you sync to the furthest page read.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #22
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I notice no different in font contrast before or after update on my K4. They seems to have the same contrast. I went back to my custom font after they got my hopes up.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #23
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
I noticed a slight improvement in all my K4NT stock fonts. All of them (regular, condensed, sans serif) are slightly bolder. This makes the contrast seem a bit better. However, the background screen really has not changed/lightened and is still a lot greyer than my older K3 KB and DXG imho.

I'm finding that the new sans serif is now almost as good as the custom one I was using and even the regular font is more readable. So, an overall improvement imho. Thanks Amazon.

Not crazy about the 'plane mode' not being able to be turned on/off on standard menus either. Maybe someone will find a 'hot key' combination to do this?

As an aside, I found that if you are using the non-hacking Caliber plug-in 'Kindle Collection' to modify your fonts and then want to go back to the newer 4.1 fonts you need to first select diff fonts (via your menu) until you are back to stock fonts, then restart your K4. If you don't do this you seem to get stuck with the older K4 fonts.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #24
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
They did update the fonts, and they're indeed a tiiiiiiiny bit darker, and possibly sharper (better hinting bytecode).

There's a link to some real kindle screenshots comparing the two versions somewhere, but I can't get my hands on it right now.

The KT (5.1.0) is using the same version of Caecilia as the K4 4.0, NOT this updated version.

Here's a crappy screenshot of the two versions rendered by a somewhat similar font rendering engine than on the Kindle:

(4.0/5.x on the left, 4.1.0 on the right) [The commas are prettier, for example ]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k410_fonts.png
Views:	533
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	87351  

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-05-2012 at 07:17 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #25
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
I don't have another K4NT to compare to so I'm only going off memory but the screen looks very clean to me now. Like I said the partial refresh doesn't leave any noticeable ghosting now, whether that's due to the new firmware or because I've used the K4 so much it just redraws better over time I really can't say.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #26
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
They did update the fonts, and they're indeed a tiiiiiiiny bit darker, and possibly sharper (better hinting bytecode).

There's a link to some real kindle screenshots comparing the two versions somewhere, but I can't get my hands on it right now.

The KT (5.1.0) is using the same version of Caecilia as the K4 4.0, NOT this updated version.

Here's a crappy screenshot of the two versions rendered by a somewhat similar font rendering engine than on the Kindle:

(4.0/5.x on the left, 4.1.0 on the right) [The commas are prettier, for example ]
I haven't got the 5.1.1 update, but I'm hoping they made the same font improvements since the Kindle Touch won't allow the font substitution. I just sold my K4NT so I cannot test the 4.1.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #27
akleiw
akleiw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4.1.0
Re: update with custom screensavers fails

Amazon decided for some reason to change the letter K to I in one of the screen savers.

Edit: Only use the solution below if for some reason you are unable to uninstall the screensaver hack. There's now an uninstaller for one of the hacks, although I haven't tried it myself.

If you've got some screen saver hack installed, you should uninstall it before updating, or you could download this file 01N.png (don't rename it!), copy it to the directory where you keep your custom screensavers and retry the update. The screen saver hack will continue to work.

Last edited by akleiw; 06-07-2012 at 08:31 AM.
akleiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #28
m2tts
m2tts began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by akleiw View Post
If you've got some screen saver hack installed, you should uninstall it before updating, or you could download this file 01N.png (don't rename it!), copy it to the directory where you keep your custom screensavers and retry the update. The screen saver hack will continue to work.
I can't believe it was just a matter of tricking the update into thinking the same screensavers were loaded! Thank you for the suggestion. It worked.

Why Amazon refuses to just let you use your own screensavers has baffled me from the first Kindle. The Nook has always let you do that. I guess they just think the average user is not going to know enough about digital images to get them in the right format. They could have an online widget where you could upload the images you wanted to apply as screensavers that would convert them and charge you for the effort (not that I would use that route).
m2tts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:22 AM   #29
elbioleg
elbioleg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
It also worked for me. Thank you very much.
elbioleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:21 AM   #30
tvjohn
Connoisseur
tvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 3, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by akleiw View Post
...... or you could download this file 01N.png (don't rename it!), copy it to the directory where you keep your custom screensavers and retry the update. The screen saver hack will continue to work.
Thank you kindly for posting this

Out of curiosity, how did you get to the solution, since presumably you had the hack installed yourself?
tvjohn is offline   Reply With Quote