Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-16-2010, 11:06 PM   #16
billingd
Enthusiast
billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kobo
I have left things for a week, then added an apology at the top of the original post. Post in haste - repent in leisure.
billingd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:31 PM   #17
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Respect sir, for placing an apology. Other people value pride far more than being humble.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:36 PM   #18
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Red is nice color.
I thought original poster could change or delete the post and
all about it.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:22 AM   #19
DHR
DHR began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo original, Kobo Vox, iPad1, HP TouchPad, BB PlayBook
I asked Kobo for the source code. Most recently after they had released it (but I did not know). They just now sent me a pointer to the github directory.

Is anybody going to take a stab at building firmware from the release? OpenWRT is a great model to emulate (but a lot of work).
DHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:43 AM   #20
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHR View Post
Is anybody going to take a stab at building firmware from the release? OpenWRT is a great model to emulate (but a lot of work).
Aside I run dd-wrt on the router, I assume there are parts that are
not open to the public. Exactly parts you are keen to know about.
It is possible to divide to the project for screen support, project for
battery support, base system team, db team... And project manager
to put that together. And us to test it and report back. There was
a moment to start community support, just as nokia did with maemo.
The moment went. The train has gone. Users got their cup of silence
from manufacturer. I noticed all people asking this kind of question
moved away. I was part of maemo community. Not a sign of it for
this device. Not a server to store the code or api. Now, I rather play
with sheevaplug than try to decrypt hidden code.
Best regards.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:08 PM   #21
DHR
DHR began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo original, Kobo Vox, iPad1, HP TouchPad, BB PlayBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
Aside I run dd-wrt on the router, I assume there are parts that are
not open to the public. Exactly parts you are keen to know about.
It is possible to divide to the project for screen support, project for
battery support, base system team, db team... And project manager
to put that together. And us to test it and report back. There was
a moment to start community support, just as nokia did with maemo.
The moment went. The train has gone. Users got their cup of silence
from manufacturer. I noticed all people asking this kind of question
moved away. I was part of maemo community. Not a sign of it for
this device. Not a server to store the code or api. Now, I rather play
with sheevaplug than try to decrypt hidden code.
Best regards.
Very insightful comments (if a little hard to read).

Why do you prefer dd-wrt? I presume for pragmatic reasons. The community model of OpenWRT appeals to me but it and its products are not perfect.

An open eReader platform appeals to me in the abstract.

Concretely, it would be nice to have an ability to carry around a catalogue of my books. I don't want to be tied to LibraryThing, but think of downloading a LibraryThing catalogue and being able to access it from your Kobo while out and about.

Optimistically, I assume others have ideas for improvements that I'd like too.

Is Maemo practically open? Has any third-party produced a new build of the OS? My impression has been that as soon as Nokia gets tired of a model (770, n800, and maybe n810) they become frozen in time. If the community could build newer firmware, I would have expected that they would have done so; perhaps they move on too.

I fear that you are right that it is too late to start a community. Among other things, I think that a new product cycle of eReaders is about to start. We don't even know if Kobo will be part of it.

Which are the most hacker-friendly eReaders? My feeling is that only devices with electronic paper count.
DHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:49 AM   #22
zoran
himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHR View Post
Why do you prefer dd-wrt? I presume for pragmatic reasons. The community model of OpenWRT appeals to me but it and its products are not perfect.
Sometimes I cannot explain why I prefer this over that. Just as I chose
to use freebsd, but not openbsd. Probably forums that have a lot of users
who respond in a minute.

Quote:
Is Maemo practically open? Has any third-party produced a new build of the OS? My impression has been that as soon as Nokia gets tired of a model (770, n800, and maybe n810) they become frozen in time.
Nokia lost it's interest as they go to the new device. I have 770, with
a lot of apps I regularly use on my desktop. The same feeling, just palm
size. I still use it to manage my stream server.

Quote:
I fear that you are right that it is too late to start a community. Among other things, I think that a new product cycle of eReaders is about to start. We don't even know if Kobo will be part of it.
I see no interest on manufacturer side, but I may be wrong.

Quote:
Which are the most hacker-friendly eReaders? My feeling is that only devices with electronic paper count.
I was after such a device. To play with, make it better etc. Kobo looked
like the one. Epubs are must-have for me. Open standards and formats.
If it works flawlessly, even better.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #23
anidel
Zealot
anidel doesn't litteranidel doesn't litter

Device: Kobo,Nokia N900
Is you follow the Maemo community you see that now the first community SSU (firmware upgrade) for Maemo 4 devices (based on Diablo, N8x0) is available.
I guess it's almost as much open as it can be, right ?

Also, Nokia 770, N8x0 and N900 are all steps that Nokia took in the open source world to learn and see where it can focus its effort in order to differentiate itself among the competition WHILE supporting the open source community.
It's still a huge company that wants to make lots of money, but they SEE the potential in an open device (and N900 shows and the next device based on MeeGo shows it even more).

Of course it's no OpenMoko, but I think with Nokia we're going to find one of the best trade off between open source and closed source. Moreover, Nokia listen. Slowly, but listen.

Aniello
anidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:32 PM   #24
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Quote:
I cannot recall how this thread was named before, but I simply
dislike it to be renamed on demand. Next step would be to
change the content of posts on demand?
If something important has to be said, new thread has to be
open and all content might be there. People have their own
minds and it is the way forums work.
As for me, I support the right of moderators to moderate.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:59 AM   #25
zoran
himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
Is you follow the Maemo community you see that now the first community SSU (firmware upgrade) for Maemo 4 devices (based on Diablo, N8x0) is available.
I guess it's almost as much open as it can be, right ?
Since 770 is small footprint device, I had to add command line
utilities. No reason to cry, cause I use the same ones on the
desktop. To cross-compile, there was a fine tutorial how to
install delevoping libs. Nokia makes a profit and tends to trim off
hobbyist projects. Only those that might result in graphical app
to work on tablet/phone.

Quote:
Also, Nokia 770, N8x0 and N900 are all steps that Nokia took in the open source world to learn and see where it can focus its effort in order to differentiate itself among the competition WHILE supporting the open source community.
A lot of stuff on their modern phones are from maemo community.
They cannot praise it enough. My complaint was they closed all threads
for older devices. They also did not want to play with firewall on the
tablet, aside denying it already existed. Of course it was there, but
they used it to set online/offline mode. Firewall needs modules to filter,
that was the point.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:13 PM   #26
mwlcarter
Connoisseur
mwlcarter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
I cannot recall how this thread was named before, but I simply
dislike it to be renamed on demand. Next step would be to
change the content of posts on demand?
If something important has to be said, new thread has to be
open and all content might be there. People have their own
minds and it is the way forums work.
Yeah, so much for freedom of speech, huh? Don't cross the Corporation.

Already feeling the chill...
mwlcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:37 PM   #27
billingd
Enthusiast
billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corona View Post
As for me, I support the right of moderators to moderate.
So do I, and I started this thread.
billingd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:12 AM   #28
zoran
himself

After few posts and parallel to Kobo reader, I paid a visit to local
phone store and asked a sell person to take a look at nokia n900.
Both they use linux and busybox. I was surprised to see xterm
already installed by default, having a minute for all I wanted to
check. After years of development, maemo runs perfectly. Going
home, I found a lot of stuff I had to make myself previously, in re-
pository: openssh, mutt, irssi, nmap, mc... Checking maemo mail-
ing lists, I learnt people still came to participate. Aside pricy hard-
ware, I assume that support is the key stone for version 5. No bugs,
as long as I saw it.
I'm not sure how much community support means to Kobo.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:16 PM   #29
JPenguin
Connoisseur
JPenguin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader, Kobo for Palm Pre
The Kobo eReader is a single-purpose device, I don't think community support is that important to Kobo. The reader is hardly a large focus of their company.

As to renaming the thread if it was aggressive due to the lack of provided source (I'm assuming because I didn't see it until it had been renamed) but they have now provided the source it hardly seems all that useful to keep the aggressive title. Perhaps the aggressive title did help them finally push to get the GitHub repository up but now that they have fulfilled their obligations under the GPL I don't think there is any need to attack Kobo for not having done it earlier.
JPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:14 PM   #30
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPenguin View Post
The Kobo eReader is a single-purpose device, I don't think community support is that important to Kobo. The reader is hardly a large focus of their company.
I don't agree at all. I work on the Reader every day, and I can tell you it gets a very large amount of focus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPenguin View Post
Perhaps the aggressive title did help them finally push to get the GitHub repository up but now that they have fulfilled their obligations under the GPL I don't think there is any need to attack Kobo for not having done it earlier.
FWIW, the GitHub source was up before this thread was posted. You can see the timestamps on GitHub.

This did encourage us to post the link to a wider audience, for which I thank the OP for the gentle nudge.
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote