Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-13-2013, 12:15 AM   #1
neil.bartlett
neil.bartlett began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Removeable Internal SD card

Hi Guys (my first post!)

I'm keen to use a linux or android on a kobo touch -- love the device but I want a better reader.

I live in Toronto Canada and I have two locally purchased copies of model Kobo Touch N905-KOB-B.

I've opened them both, but I can find no removable microSD card. The location when the microSD is on videos/pix I have seen is filled by a soldered Samsung chip.

So some questions:

- I assume I need to find a model that has a removable SD card so that I can insert an image via a new card, or is it possible to use the external slot to boot to a new image? If so how?!

- If I purchase a new Kobo Touch, I guess this will be a 905C or possibly I could go for a Glo, is it highly likely I will get one with a removable SD card? Or are there models with fixed chips? I'd hate to pay out for another device model and just get another fixed chip device.

Thx for any help!
Neil
neil.bartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:27 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Only the first version of the Touch didn't have an internal SD card. Your model number looks like one of them. The N905B and N905C both have the cards. The N905C started coming out last year. Hopefully any you find in a shop now will be an N905C.

If you can stretch the budget, you should consider a Glo. The CPU is a bit faster and the higher resolution screen makes the screen a lot clearer. And the light is very handy. Alternatively, have a look at the other reader apps that are available. You might find they work better for you and should run on your current Touch.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
neil.bartlett
neil.bartlett began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Thx David.

I've gone the Glo route. I grabbed an SD card and I'm going to see if I can get android working on it tonight. Thx.

Neil
neil.bartlett is offline   Reply With Quote