Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-12-2010, 10:36 PM   #1
physics@war
Connoisseur
physics@war began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Should we mourn for Irex?

Good bye old friend! I still have my broken device hold up by iRex. I guess I should mourn for iRex's bankruptcy.
physics@war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:59 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Last I heard the Dutch government was going to help them out.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 04:09 AM   #3
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Here's a translation of the latest I can find - looks fairly hopeful
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:09 AM   #4
yacoob
Zealot
yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.

Any details, AnemicOak? I got an impression that the regional investment agency refused their call, and that's one of the reasons they've declared bankruptcy.
yacoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:01 AM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I used to keep close eye on iRex and their products.
To me, their products were waaaay overpriced.
Their first product failed miserably to deliver promised key features, such as battery life. And their Public Relation handling of the resulting situation was pathetic.

Yet, I think we should deeply mourn their demise.
They moved the entire e-ink reader industry forward.
They were pioneers conquering and charting the unknown land of e-ink readers.

Also, I fear that if they fail other companies might be more reluctant to come with new, revolutionary ebook readers.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 05:55 AM   #6
Franky
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Here's a translation of the latest I can find - looks fairly hopeful
i'm sorry, but the article says no more then they hope to know more before the end of the month of who's gonna take them over.
i do hope somebody does take them over. i'm very pleased with the DR800SG, even if i can't use the 3g in Europe.

i do agree that there devices are way overpriced and that might be part of the reason why they are bankrupt.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:47 PM   #7
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
I don't know if I'm in mourning, but I am sad. I've used several different eInk devices in recent years, and the DR800 is, by far, my favorite hardware. The size is perfect and the technical capabilities are outstanding. Sadly, the software hasn't quite taken advantage of the device's full potential.

Worry about being wedded to an unsupported device prompted my purchase of the Sony Daily Edition (It doesn't impress me; I'll probably sell it.) and the new Graphite Kindle DX (I generally like it, although I'm annoyed by it's failure to support PDF Table of Contents, and it's a larger device than I'd prefer to carry about).

I realize that the European prices were shockingly high, but the US price was in line with other e-Ink readers. The DR800 met scathing reviews upon launch, and received literally no good press or marketing momentum. The 2.0 (RC 3) firmware remedies most of the complaints, but it's too little, too late. I think that the device could have taken the US market by storm, if only it had been fully featured at launch and had some kind of marketing support.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:51 PM   #8
catharsis
Addict
catharsis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG, Onyx Boox M92
i also agree that the devices are overpriced (at least in Europe), but maybe it's because all their revenue comes from selling devices. i suppose amazon and b&n can afford to sell cheap devices because the bulk of their revenue comes from book sales. i also suppose it's very hard now for companies which sell only devices (is que ever coming? any news about the asus dr-900?), especially because of the ipad and the price drops for kindle and nook.
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:11 PM   #9
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
I don't understand the constant complaining about Irex and the 'missing features'.

I wrecked my Iliad V2 one time (cracked the display) but it was my fault. I paid 250 Euro for a new one and now I'm more cautious.

The battery lifetime of the the Iliad 2 was always over 10 hours. Even after three years the battery life hasn been very good. Of course more is better but be honest. Did you ever read over 10 hours in a row?

I want to buy a Irex 1000S because of it's great display size. If iRex finally closes I have to buy a Kindle DX graphite. And that means, no FBReader, no chms, no djvus, no custom programs.

And yes Irex hardware is expensive but I have got so much content out of my Iliad (waiting for the bus, train, doctor, ...) over the three years I wouldn't want to miss these devices.

The only reader which would be more interesting would be the skiff reader - but that was killed by the Australian Billionaire .
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:24 AM   #10
stonehat
Re-Iliadist
stonehat began at the beginning.

I think it is generally agreed that Irex went bankrupt because their management took a chance, borrowed money to get into the US market with a new device, then failed to get into that market on time to pay back the loans.

If, instead of dumping their original product ( along with customer and third-party goodwill ), Irex had evolved it, we could now be celebrating the release of the Iliad Mark 7, running the best software around, supplied by an active open source community, the envy of Kindle and Nook readers everywhere.
stonehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:45 AM   #11
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by catharsis View Post
i also agree that the devices are overpriced (at least in Europe), but maybe it's because all their revenue comes from selling devices. i suppose amazon and b&n can afford to sell cheap devices because the bulk of their revenue comes from book sales.
Yes, plus Amazon, Sony... all have revenue from markets that have nothing to do with eBooks. A small company with a single product line has very little margin for error.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:52 AM   #12
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonehat View Post
If, instead of dumping their original product ( along with customer and third-party goodwill ), Irex had evolved it, we could now be celebrating the release of the Iliad Mark 7, running the best software around, supplied by an active open source community, the envy of Kindle and Nook readers everywhere.
DR800 = iLiad v3

The main problem is that the hardware evolved enough that they were not firmware compatible, and iRex isn't big enough to maintain two completely different sets of firmware.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:46 PM   #13
abeaty
Enthusiast
abeaty began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperweight
Quote:
Originally Posted by physics@war View Post
Good bye old friend! I still have my broken device hold up by iRex. I guess I should mourn for iRex's bankruptcy.
It will be a miracle if iRex comes out of bankruptcy and makes it as a business. They will be competing in a market:

1) with an iPad that is cheaper than all of their eReaders
2) where the closest competitors are selling at a fraction of the cost
3) where their competitors can make money selling the eBooks so can take a loss on the hardware
4) where the latest eInk screens are only available to Sony and Amazon for the first 3-6 months (I just read this on the internet so it may not be true).

They are going to have to figure out their business plan and do it fast.
abeaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:12 PM   #14
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by abeaty View Post
It will be a miracle if iRex comes out of bankruptcy and makes it as a business. They will be competing in a market:

3) where their competitors can make money selling the eBooks so can take a loss on the hardware
4) where the latest eInk screens are only available to Sony and Amazon for the first 3-6 months (I just read this on the internet so it may not be true).

I honestly think that a market that companies should start to focus on is the academic/education market. In my view a reader that can;

- display A4 PDFs (9.7" screen would suffice).
- ability to add annotations.
- ability to export annotations to a PC.
- ability to have open more than one file at a time and allow switching between.

There may be some other aspects required but they are a basis. Some current 6" readers do perform some of those functions, but PDF is not good on a 6", especially with academic journals which are generally multi-columned (pdf reflow does not work). I for one would rather an ereader for all my lecture notes for lectures, save printing 500+ pages a semester. A laptop isn't suitable because (a) reading journals on LCD strains eyes for prolonged periods of time, (b) battery life during lectures is an issue.

Hopefully something will be suitable within 12 months before I start my masters. As much as I don't like Apple the iPad seems the best solution at present (there are Android tablets but they are either real expensive or produced by generic Chinese companies with little information and usually Android 1.5 and no clear idea if able to upgrade to 2.2).
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:42 PM   #15
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by abeaty View Post

Not all of that is quite true. The Irex 800 was USD 399.-. Closest competitor is the new Kindle DXG at 389.-. Yes, the Kindle has a bigger screen, but the Irex has a Wacom touch screen and better functionality.

Under normal circumstances they could have lowered the price to 350 and would have been very competitive. Their problem is that they didn't have any marketing -- that is where they were behind Amazon and Sony (which has better relationships with retailers, obviously). So the better mousetrap can't win in this case.

But I do believe that point 4 is (almost correct). Amazon does get the new screens earlier then anybody else. But not Sony.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote