Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-20-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
tomd365
tomd365 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Can not get series info in titles on 505

I am trying to get series data in the titles on my 505. I have edited the metadata and the string on the "send to device" tab. The file names on the 505 are showing up as series name - series number - title - author.lrf but the actual title on the eReader is just the title and the author. How do I get the title on the eReader menu to show the series data?

Also, the books are all by the same author and in the same series. The metadata is correct but the books are not forming a collection on the 505. What am I missing?

Last edited by tomd365; 03-20-2010 at 09:39 PM.
tomd365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:50 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The 505 does not, has never, and will never support eReader format.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2010, 12:49 AM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The 505 does not, has never, and will never support eReader format.
I'm not sure this message help the OP at all.. and probably confused him. If you really want to take up this crusade I suggest you create a nice post explaining that "eReader" is a brand name and is really specific to the ebooks and format sold at eReader.com. Then you can just post that message in rather than the above snarky and unhelpful reply.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:52 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd365 View Post
I am trying to get series data in the titles on my 505. I have edited the metadata and the string on the "send to device" tab. The file names on the 505 are showing up as series name - series number - title - author.lrf but the actual title on the eReader is just the title and the author. How do I get the title on the eReader menu to show the series data?
So, you are editing the title in the metadata? What format are the ebooks you are sending? Did you convert to the format after editing the metadata?

Quote:
Also, the books are all by the same author and in the same series. The metadata is correct but the books are not forming a collection on the 505. What am I missing?
Have you populated the series field in the meta data and then sent all the ebooks in the series to the Sony at the same time with the "send to device" button? If so it should be creating a collection for that series.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:17 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I am trying to get series data in the titles on my 505. I have edited the metadata and the string on the "send to device" tab. The file names on the 505 are showing up as series name - series number - title - author.lrf
You managed to change the file name. This has no effect on the reader's display.

Quote:
but the actual title on the eReader is just the title and the author. How do I get the title on the eReader menu to show the series data?
If you want the title to read a certain way go into Calibre and change the title.

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're doing, in the attached example this book will show on my reader under a collection "Joe Pitt". If you are not forming a collection then you have no tags or series info set in the metadata.

You might be happier with PRS+ which allows you (on your PRS-505) to browse your reader by folder. Then you can see the file names under their author folder just like you want them. It is a very easy install. Give it a try.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	metadata_sample.png
Views:	282
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	48485  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2010, 05:20 AM   #6
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:

As I recall, Calibre will put a series onto Sony readers without any need for you to change titles in metadata or anywhere else. To do this, you need to do the following.

1. In Edit Metadata, choose a name for your series and enter that in the Series field.
2. Enter the series number in the text box immediately below Series. Note that Calibre will automatically increase the series number by one these days, so you might find it easier to edit the metadata in series order. Also note that if you hit the tab key after you enter the series, it will highlight the number field in the next box so that it's easy to enter a value.
3. Close the Edit Metadata box. Under the Series column in Calibre, you should see the name of the series, with the number in the series in brackets. For instance, Incarnations [2] is the second book in the Incarnations series.
4. When you send the books to your reader, make certain that you select all of the books in a series at the same time. Calibre will create a collection on your reader named after your series. When you look inside the collection, you should see all of the books in series order instead of alphabetical order.

This will only work if you send all of the books in the series at the same time. Any books that you send later will be added to the end of the collection.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote