Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 06-05-2006, 11:46 AM   #1
Xsavior
Coveter of eInk
Xsavior began at the beginning.

Device: Treo 700p, Sony Reader
Filament Books, Free 1150???

Hi everyone. I've been reading for a while, but this is my first post. I noticed in Rmeister0's review of the Ebookman 1150, that it's just a re-branded eti-2 device, so i looked at the web site, and noticed that there was another company that provided the reader. In addition to another source, if you subscribe to the site, you get the reader for free, and two books a month as well.

http://www.filamentbooks.com/ebconte...50_monthly.asp

My question comes with curiosity aobut the similarities and differences between the devices? DO they use the same software? the same ebook formats? From a briefe overview.. it does not seem that filamentbooks.com has as good a selection as some of the other sites, but if it would work well with other formats, then i could probably find 2 books a month there, and get my "Must haves" from other locations.

Does any one have any expierience or opinions on this?

-Zach
Xsavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 12:21 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Does the unit cost $199 (let alone $239.40) in the first place?

If not, then why not just buy the unit elsewhere and get your books elsewhere?

Unless you're looking to join Filament Books anyway, of course.

It looks like http://www.ebookwise.com has an eBookwise-1150 that comes with a 64MB smartmedia card for $124, and I can't see where they ask you to join anything (could be missing it, though).

If you like the looks of the device, I don't see any sense in paying double cost to get it free for joining a service you're not sure you'll use much. True, their books cost ~$10 each, so it would balance out okay if you can find your 2 a month, but that price seems a touch high to me for an e-book, though I don't think I've done an exhaustive survey.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2006, 01:08 PM   #3
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Hi,

If you get the Ebookwise 1150 from their site or Ebay or wherever, there are no strings attached. I've been using it for a while and I never bothered to register it since I definitely do not buy content in their imp format since I do not have any idea how to convert it to an open format, while it is very easy to do the reverse.

Liviu

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
It looks like http://www.ebookwise.com has an eBookwise-1150 that comes with a 64MB smartmedia card for $124, and I can't see where they ask you to join anything (could be missing it, though).
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 01:12 PM   #4
Xsavior
Coveter of eInk

I guess i'll just have to decide if i want to spend the $130 or so now, or wait for one of the E-ink readers later in the year. From what i've heard, the Sony is going to be about 3 times as much, but should beable to read more formats natively, and have more buit in memory, and all of the extras that come from being a device that is 2 years newer... i just hate waiting

And i know that overall the price is higher.. but if you combine the low monthly payment, plus a few books... it's attractive for a few reasons.

Last edited by Xsavior; 06-05-2006 at 01:44 PM. Reason: New information
Old 06-05-2006, 01:44 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsavior
...should beable to read more formats natively....
Actually, it's looking like the Sony won't read as many formats natively as it first appeared. There's a lot of discussion on that in the Sony ereader discussions, so I won't go into it here, except to suggest that you look at it carefully to make sure that it will do what you want it to do as far as formats go.
Advert
Old 06-05-2006, 01:46 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist

You could always put $20 bucks a month in a jar and by the time the e-inkers are actually released, you'd be a ways toward the price ... not all the way, of course, but a respectable part of it.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:18 PM   #7
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
It depends what you are looking for. I will check out the Sony Reader when it appears but it may take a while and also I want to see if it adds value for me (for example if I can read a non drm pdf without fiddling with it since today in 20 minutes I can put it on my Nokia as an image/html for Fbreader and it works page to page for most books). Also the lack of backlight is a bigger drawback for me than the abillity to read in direct sunlight. But who knows, the display may be so entincing that I may buy one.

If you want to see roughly how books display on Ebookwise I posted some pictures here and there are many threads about this reader and about Nokia 770 which is my other reader. (www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6243)

Liviu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsavior
I guess i'll just have to decide if i want to spend the $130 or so now, or wait for one of the E-ink readers later in the year. From what i've heard, the Sony is going to be about 3 times as much, but should beable to read more formats natively, and have more buit in memory, and all of the extras that come from being a device that is 2 years newer... i just hate waiting

And i know that overall the price is higher.. but if you combine the low monthly payment, plus a few books... it's attractive for a few reasons.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 04:16 PM   #8
Xsavior
Coveter of eInk

That's a very good point... and if they continue the way they have been lately, i'll have approx $2,000.00 saved up when they actually become available :P

I would really like the Illiad, despite the delays, more open=more better, but at the same time, getting an interrim device, that cost's half as much, means i can upgrade with only half the guilt when the next gen comes out!!

I wonder if the Sony will draw the hacking community like the PSP has done. If someone could unlock it.. as they have over and over with the PSP, just so it could read other formats, that would make it a GREAT option.