Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

View Poll Results: Did you already preorder the nook?
Yes 63 27.88%
No 45 19.91%
I am going to 10 4.42%
I may be going to 37 16.37%
I am not going to 71 31.42%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2009, 10:53 AM   #46
terekkincaid
Connoisseur
terekkincaid doesn't litterterekkincaid doesn't litter

Device: nook
I pre-ordered mine. I've been waiting to take the plunge into e-readers for a while now. I mostly read PDF journal articles for my job, with the occasional public domain e-book (on my Windows Mobile phone - not great for the eyes I guess, but very convenient). If I really need to analyze a paper, I'll print it an go nuts with the pen, but mostly, I just need to skim through them, and it's a pain to have a giant pile of paper on my desk of stuff I'm only going to read once (if that). I would like a portable library of all my papers so I can just look through them during my commute.

I've been waiting for a smaller ebook reader that could do a decent job of PDF at a good price. Of course, the Kindle DX would be sweet, but it's $450 and honestly a bit too big to carry around. I had pretty much decided on a Sony PRS-600, but the glare from the touch screen really bothers me (I saw a demo unit in a Borders).

The nook seems to have exactly what I need on paper. I don't really care about lending or DRM'ed ebooks. I have a phone that can browse the net easier than an ebook, so that's also not an issue. The only thing that remains to be seen is how zooming works on PDFs with graphics (i.e. PDFs that can't be reflowed). If it's impossible, that might be a deal breaker, and I'll have to go with the Sony. But with a 6" screen, I might be able to deal with it, I'll just have to see.

The Android-driven touch screen is a very nice bonus, and there's such a large hacking community that it will be broken wide open in no time. I wouldn't be surprised if someone gets the Android desktop unlocked (email, browsing, etc.) in the first week. I'm not banking on it, but I don't doubt it will happen.

And for the record, I paid with a CC and it hasn't been charged yet, and I have a ship date for the 30th as well.
terekkincaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:32 AM   #47
scveteran
Groupie
scveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
Actually, that's illegal. They should know better. They are not allowed to charge the credit card until they ship - not before.
There is another thread about this. What they did was not illegal. All they do is authorize the card amount and this is completely legal and done all the time by most companies. No actual money was sent to B&N. They just confirmed that the comsumer had that much free money in the account. How long the money is held up is determined by the bank.
scveteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2009, 10:13 PM   #48
Starearedkid
Starearedkid is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
I did.

I haven't warmed up to the idea of e-readers until I saw pictures of the Nook. I am avid reader; and am getting tired of carrying my library around wherever I want to go. I always have about 2 books or something in my purse--and it gets heavy!

Aesthetically, I never liked the clunky look of the Kindle. And, even though I did read negative comments about it; a lot of them (competitive pricing/gift cards being used) I honestly think they will change as time goes on. But, I did compare the books I was looking to get--and most of my reads are children's classics and mysteries--and most of them were roughly a) free or b) the same price. As for gift cards being used--I get them all the time, and yes, it would be nice to use them to fill up the Nook; however, I never actually use gift cards on me. I am a school librarian, and 99% of the time the gift cards get spent on classroom/library use--and picture books tend to be expensive!

I am excited though.
Starearedkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:27 PM   #49
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
I didn't preorder, but I will be getting a nook.

My 505 will be going to my wife as a backup, as she is extremely happy with her 505 and would prefer to do a wait and see on the nook (and has a fair size library of .lrx files).

Also she's pretty hard on the readers - having executed 3 of them so far. The 4th one is working but there is duct tape involved , so having a backup is a good thing especially since the 505s are getting scarce.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:59 AM   #50
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
Also she's pretty hard on the readers - having executed 3 of them so far. The 4th one is working but there is duct tape involved , so having a backup is a good thing especially since the 505s are getting scarce.
bwahahahaha!!! oh!!!!! pictures puhlease! normally we know that that order of breakage would involve a sidelined reader!!! please pictures of such an event!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2009, 09:38 AM   #51
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
I didn't preorder, but I will be getting a nook.

My 505 will be going to my wife as a backup, as she is extremely happy with her 505 and would prefer to do a wait and see on the nook (and has a fair size library of .lrx files).

Oh my Lord. Um........you don't have kids, do you?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:16 PM   #52
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
Does she at least give them a blindfold and a cigarette before executing them?
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:53 PM   #53
stoca01
stoca01 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj1n View Post
This is definitely not an isolated incident.

This is from my other post:

Gates of Fire
Kindle: $6.39
Nook: $7.99

The Unforgiving Minute: A Soldier's Education
Kindle: $9.99
Nook: $14.99

Sookie Stackhouse Set
Kindle: $29.90
Nook: $51.13

Joker One: A Marine Platoon's Story of Courage, Leadership, and Brotherhood
Nook: $20.80

Kite Runner
Kindle: $9.51
Nook: $11.20

The Big Necessity: The Unmentionable World of Human Waste and Why It Matters
Nook: $9.99

The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives
Nook: $12.00

They have most of the NYTimes Best sellers matched with the Kindle for 9.99 but most other books are cheaper on the kindle. I didn't find any BN nooks that were priced cheaper than amazon although they may be out there. This is disappointing as I was looking forward to getting a nook but ebook prices are more important.
While browsing on B&N for available titles I'm interested in here's another case of B&N ebooks "non competitive" price:

The Charlemagne Pursuit: A Novel (Kindle Edition): $9.99

Charlemagne Pursuit (Cotton Malone Series #4): $20.80

Ouch!
--stoca
stoca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:42 AM   #54
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I have not ordered it but I will make it to the store to take a look at it when it comes out
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:58 PM   #55
blackberry7
blackberry7 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Tempting, but no for now - because I recently became a Kindle owner and I'm still learning my way around it - and so far so good. But I'll check it out in store and keep nook in mind in case I ever become dissatisfied with Kindle.
blackberry7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 01:27 AM   #56
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
welcome to the forums! you need to update your "device" to kindle!

and here's some karma to get you going!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 01:22 PM   #57
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
OK, I did it; about 10 minutes ago. The epub support was a big factor, plus I already have a B&N e-book on my computer that's just going to waste. (I hardly ever read books on my PC.) And, yeah, it is pretty.

I want to believe that the PDF support will be valuable, but I suspect it will be like trying to read full page graphic novels on my Kindle. If not, I will be pleasantly surprised!

I told my wife I needed to reward myself as an incentive for giving up tobacco.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 01:34 PM   #58
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
OK, I did it; about 10 minutes ago. The epub support was a big factor, plus I already have a B&N e-book on my computer that's just going to waste. (I hardly ever read books on my PC.) And, yeah, it is pretty.

I want to believe that the PDF support will be valuable, but I suspect it will be like trying to read full page graphic novels on my Kindle. If not, I will be pleasantly surprised!

I told my wife I needed to reward myself as an incentive for giving up tobacco.
Just so you are not disappointed when you get it I do not believe ePUB will be supported until next year. Of course you will be able to read the B&N books you already have.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 05:46 PM   #59
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Just so you are not disappointed when you get it I do not believe ePUB will be supported until next year. Of course you will be able to read the B&N books you already have.

Dale
At http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/support/ under the heading, "Beyond eBooks," is the following:

Quote:
Q. What File Formats does nook support?

Nook supports all eBooks, eMagazines and eNewspapers sold at Barnes & Noble.com. You can also load many other files, including MP3s and PDFs, as well as ePub and PDB files.
If the Nook doesn't support ePub right from the box, I'd say Barnes and Noble is engaging in false advertising!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:09 PM   #60
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
At http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/support/ under the heading, "Beyond eBooks," is the following:

If the Nook doesn't support ePub right from the box, I'd say Barnes and Noble is engaging in false advertising!
Yes, you are right. I wasn't thinking about the fact that they would also support Adobe ADE which they will. so I was wrong about that. I was thinking about the fact that they won't sell ePUB formatted eBooks and switch to that format until next year. Sorry for the confusion.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote