Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-12-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
ID cards how do YOU feel about them

Identity cards yes or no? This thought was prompted by an off topic post in a serious thread from Harry T asking what the price of passports were around the world.

As our membership is so international can I ask -

- Do you have to carry an identity document in your country
- If so is it your country of birth.
- How do you feel about having it or (conversely the lack of having)
- How do you feel it affects your security / safety having or not.

-And any other questions / reasons I may have missed
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:31 PM   #2
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
I have been either military or worked for the military or been ex-pat for so long that I take ID cards for granted. I think that they definetly serve a purpose and can be used without invading privacy too much. the military is all of a sudden making a shift AWAY from the heavy dependence on social security numbers.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2009, 01:34 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
In the UK there is currently no requirement for residents to have or carry identity cards.

There are plans in place to change this - first to have voluntary cards, eventually moving to compulsion, and I suspect eventual requirement to carry. This move includes the creation of a central identity database. I am strongly opposed to all of this, and am astonished to see serious proposals for it all.

ID cards do not affect security or safety at all. If anything it'll reduce security, as it'll give false reassurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
Identity cards yes or no? This thought was prompted by an off topic post in a serious thread from Harry T asking what the price of passports were around the world.

pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I work in a private hospital that is operated by a university. I have so danged many ID's that they are like having a deck of cards hanging from my lapel. Then there is the gym membership card, driver's license, etc. But I still must have a passport to go on vacation.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:52 PM   #5
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
In the UK there is currently no requirement for residents to have or carry identity cards.

There are plans in place to change this - first to have voluntary cards, eventually moving to compulsion, and I suspect eventual requirement to carry. This move includes the creation of a central identity database. I am strongly opposed to all of this, and am astonished to see serious proposals for it all.

ID cards do not affect security or safety at all. If anything it'll reduce security, as it'll give false reassurance.

In this context - too expensive and not guaranteed to be still on plan when there is a change of government ...

Also - how does one really PROVE who one is ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2009, 02:14 PM   #6
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Don't have one, won't accept one, completely unnecessary.

http://www.no2id.net/
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:01 PM   #7
roger the rabbit
Addict
roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T3, 650 Black, 505, Kobo Glo HD Aura ONE
I have to carry an identity card issued by the zone of the Federal non Democratic Republic of Europe zone I live / not born in. I don't like it but it does have some advantage you cant use my credit card without it. I don't break the law so am not that worried
roger the rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:10 PM   #8
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger the rabbit View Post
[...] I don't like it but it does have some advantage you cant use my credit card without it. [...]
I don't think that that's an advantage - if the ID card didn't exist (like they don't in the UK), you'd still be able to use a credit card (as I do - far too often).

The issue is the making of these cards mandatory and the implied civil rights that infringes (not to mention the all too real financial implications).
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:15 PM   #9
roger the rabbit
Addict
roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I don't think that that's an advantage - if the ID card didn't exist (like they don't in the UK), you'd still be able to use a credit card (as I do - far too often).

The issue is the making of these cards mandatory and the implied civil rights that infringes (not to mention the all too real financial implications).
You can't use a credit card here (or in most of Europe) without ID / passport The UK is very lax on this as you have photo id
Old 05-12-2009, 04:18 PM   #10
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You can't use a credit card here (or in most of Europe) without ID / passport The UK is very lax on this as you have photo id
I have never been asked to show any form of photo ID when using a credit card so I'm not sure that's actually the reason?
Old 05-12-2009, 04:19 PM   #11
roger the rabbit
Addict

Quote:
I have never been asked to show any form of photo ID when using a credit card so I'm not sure that's actually the reason?
In the UK or Europe?
Old 05-12-2009, 04:20 PM   #12
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
In the UK or Europe?
In the UK.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:24 PM   #13
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
No

I feel fine about not having one.

I'd feel less secure if I had to have one.
It'd mean the government was lurching in a scary direction.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:25 PM   #14
roger the rabbit
Addict

Quote:
In the UK.
Yes I thought so. The point I was trying to make is that in most of Europe no id means no use of credit or debit cards. & reduced fraud.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:20 AM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post

Yes, we have to carry an ID document. But the police needs a valid reason to ask for it. This goes for native and non-native people. I generally have my driver's licence with me and that's a valid ID document. And I don't believe it improves safety.

Quote:
I've been in lots of countries in Europe and I've never been asked to show my ID when using a credit card. They did introduce a PIN code recently but that's it.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote