Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-11-2016, 02:51 AM   #1
Hzj_jie
Hzj_jie will become famous soon enoughHzj_jie will become famous soon enoughHzj_jie will become famous soon enoughHzj_jie will become famous soon enoughHzj_jie will become famous soon enoughHzj_jie will become famous soon enough

Device: kobo aura hd
Is Kobo Start Menu open-source?

I am using Kobo Start Menu 8 for my Kobo Aura HD. The only issue I am facing is, I cannot type punctuation marks. Though I can change my WIFI password, there is no guarantee all WIFI passwords are English characters. So I am looking for Kobo Start Menu source code to do some tiny modification to support more characters for inputting. But I do not find any threads related to Kobo Start Menu source code, so is it possible?

Thank you.
Hzj_jie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:40 PM   #2
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hzj_jie View Post
I am using Kobo Start Menu 8 for my Kobo Aura HD. The only issue I am facing is, I cannot type punctuation marks. Though I can change my WIFI password, there is no guarantee all WIFI passwords are English characters. So I am looking for Kobo Start Menu source code to do some tiny modification to support more characters for inputting. But I do not find any threads related to Kobo Start Menu source code, so is it possible?

Thank you.
Currently I do not publish the code of the binaries. By the way, the password input mask has not been written in a way that makes it easy to add characters. Replacing the available characters by others however would be easy (and it would be as easy to modify the binary file to that result). But this seems no good solution anyway.
See this post for a possible workaround.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2016, 09:15 AM   #3
Hzj_jie
Hzj_jie will become famous soon enoughHzj_jie will become famous soon enoughHzj_jie will become famous soon enoughHzj_jie will become famous soon enoughHzj_jie will become famous soon enoughHzj_jie will become famous soon enough

Device: kobo aura hd
Thank you for the input.
I do not have KSM source code, but kbbouncer (though it's a binary) is replaceable without modifying other components of KSM. So am I breaking any licence if I post a modified version?
Hzj_jie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:36 AM   #4
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hzj_jie View Post
Thank you for the input.
I do not have KSM source code, but kbbouncer (though it's a binary) is replaceable without modifying other components of KSM. So am I breaking any licence if I post a modified version?
You do not break any license by doing so. And it is fine with me.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:37 PM   #5
thedward
thedward began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
(L)GPL Compliance

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Currently I do not publish the code of the binaries. By the way, the password input mask has not been written in a way that makes it easy to add characters. Replacing the available characters by others however would be easy (and it would be as easy to modify the binary file to that result). But this seems no good solution anyway.
See this post for a possible workaround.
Well, at the very least you are obligated to provide copies of the LICENSES for the code distributed under the GNU (L)GPL AND the source code for those components. This includes at least the Qt libraries (unless you opted for the commercial license), rsync, and fbgrab.

This project looks really neat and useful, but I'm hesitant to install it without being able to read and modify the sources. It's your code, so obviously you can do whatever you want with it, but I bet if you opened it up a number of folks would step up to help make it even more awesome.
thedward is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert