Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
MarcusGibson
MarcusGibson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPad
'9 Reasons eBooks Are Better (Than Tree-Books)'

Fellow eReaders and eWriters,

I've just posted the first in a series of short animated films on benefits of ebooks over paper-based technology. I'd love to hear your thoughts... Before I get too far into Episode 2!

'9 Reasons eBooks Are Better (Than Tree-Books)'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFAWWXhtMxY

Marcus
MarcusGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:32 AM   #2
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Why is it so long? Why is the audio quality so poor? Why does the title say 9 reasons but the video only covers three? And most importantly, why does the indie publishing scenario cut out any mention of proofing, editing, layout, cover art, etc that good ebooks still require?

It was occasionally funny (Vishnu!), but 10 minutes to get 1/3rd of the promised 9 reasons feels like false advertising.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 01:04 AM   #3
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I got 99 problems but a DTB ain't one!
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:12 AM   #4
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
Why is it so long? Why is the audio quality so poor? Why does the title say 9 reasons but the video only covers three? And most importantly, why does the indie publishing scenario cut out any mention of proofing, editing, layout, cover art, etc that good ebooks still require?

It was occasionally funny (Vishnu!), but 10 minutes to get 1/3rd of the promised 9 reasons feels like false advertising.

Dude, it says in his post: THE FIRST IN A SERIES, no false advertising there, just sounds like you didn't read the post.

Clever, and well done man!
Old 01-20-2012, 02:14 AM   #5
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Dude, it says in his post: THE FIRST IN A SERIES, no false advertising there, just sounds like you didn't read the post.

Clever, and well done man!
I read the post and youtube video titles, neither of which specify "part 1 of 3" or "reasons 1 through 3". The title says, "9 Reasons eBooks are Better." The video is short by 6 reasons.
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 04:08 AM   #6
jhempel24
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusGibson View Post
Fellow eReaders and eWriters,

I've just posted the first in a series of short animated films on benefits of ebooks over paper-based technology. I'd love to hear your thoughts... Before I get too far into Episode 2!

It says it right there. That to me says it's going to be a series.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:10 AM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
I read the post and youtube video titles, neither of which specify "part 1 of 3" or "reasons 1 through 3". The title says, "9 Reasons eBooks are Better." The video is short by 6 reasons.
Quote:
I've just posted the first in a series of short animated films on benefits of ebooks over paper
It sounds to me from the above that he's planning on splitting the reasons into equal chunks, so 3 reasons per video makes sense. And 5-10 minutes is about the average length of many short video's on places like youtube.com. It probably takes that long to go into each of the three reasons in the first video to any degree. To have it shorter would mean he'd have to talk faster and then a lot of people might not be able to understand what he was saying.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:51 AM   #8
BWinmill
Nameless Being

It was cute and funny, but it plays out too much like a get-rich-quick scheme.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:31 PM   #9
toddos
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
It sounds to me from the above that he's planning on splitting the reasons into equal chunks, so 3 reasons per video makes sense. And 5-10 minutes is about the average length of many short video's on places like youtube.com. It probably takes that long to go into each of the three reasons in the first video to any degree. To have it shorter would mean he'd have to talk faster and then a lot of people might not be able to understand what he was saying.
I guess I'm just saying that the title of the video ought to reflect that it's the first in a 3-part series rather than selling itself as a video going over 9 reasons in 10 minutes. Because it's not. There's nothing wrong with doing a series of videos, but if you do that you need to label your videos appropriately with suffixes like "part 1" or "1 of 3" or "reasons 1 through 3".

Also, the video doesn't even get to the first reason until about 6 minutes in. The first 5 minutes are a funny but otherwise irrelevant anecdote about how traditional publishing works for an unknown author. That leaves about a minute per reason, which means all 9 reasons could've been covered in a single 9-10 minute video.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #10
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
About three minutes in I got bored, with no reasons presented yet.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #11
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
About three minutes in I got bored, with no reasons presented yet.
Ditto. As a result, I stopped watching and probably won't watch the rest of the series.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #12
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Sorry, but me too. Just my opinion, but i think it needs editing to shorten the scenes. The graphics were great though - very well done, and the humor was fun.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:31 AM   #13
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Quote:
Not to , but at 8:21 the narrator says: "That's all for this episode. In episode 2, we'll see what happens when Andy's old fashioned, mass-marketed paper back becomes a best seller."

Overall, I thought it was a well-done video, although I agree that the intro section could be tightened up a bit.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:53 AM   #14
A.Rosaria
A.Rosaria knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'A.Rosaria knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'A.Rosaria knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'A.Rosaria knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'A.Rosaria knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'A.Rosaria knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'A.Rosaria knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'A.Rosaria knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'A.Rosaria knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'A.Rosaria knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'A.Rosaria knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: kindle
It's entertaining, I watched it full while expecting to stop early.
A.Rosaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:36 AM   #15
toddos
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbanisher View Post
Not to , but at 8:21 the narrator says: "That's all for this episode. In episode 2, we'll see what happens when Andy's old fashioned, mass-marketed paper back becomes a best seller."

Overall, I thought it was a well-done video, although I agree that the intro section could be tightened up a bit.
8:21 into a 10 minute long video is the first time anywhere on the youtube page that it's mentioned that this is a three-part video? This is not how you make a good youtube video.