Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
Brocklage
Brocklage began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle4
scaning of sites for metadata

Is there a way to scan non-commercial sites for metadata? Lots of books offered for download have better description than the ones I buy from Amazon. Copying by hand is somehow boring. So is there a way to grap the metadata from such a site once there is a trace via google? I.e. if I know which site has metadata I would like, can I add the address http:\\.... to have it scanned and grab metadata? Sorry if this sounds silly, but as I'm a total newbie in this field, I do not know which procedures are behind the metadata aquisition. To my opinion, it could be possible if Author/Booktitle is found on a page to grab what's arround in text and pictures.

btw: my deep respect goes to all the developers for this great piece of software!
Brocklage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocklage View Post
Is there a way to scan non-commercial sites for metadata? Lots of books offered for download have better description than the ones I buy from Amazon. Copying by hand is somehow boring. So is there a way to grap the metadata from such a site once there is a trace via google? I.e. if I know which site has metadata I would like, can I add the address http:\\.... to have it scanned and grab metadata? Sorry if this sounds silly, but as I'm a total newbie in this field, I do not know which procedures are behind the metadata aquisition. To my opinion, it could be possible if Author/Booktitle is found on a page to grab what's arround in text and pictures.

btw: my deep respect goes to all the developers for this great piece of software!
Metadata plugins tend to be very site specific (and fragile to site changes).
Look in the Plugin Index and see if someone has done your site.

In lieu of that, there is the 'Search the Internet' plugin, where you might snag (copy and paste) things related to the search
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2012, 02:47 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocklage View Post
Is there a way to scan non-commercial sites for metadata?
Yes and no. There are multiple metadata download plugins that are optional and can be loaded via Preferences - Plugins. In addition to the built in Amazon metadata download plugin I have also installed the following three metadata download plugins:

Barnes and Noble
Fantastic Fiction
Goodreads

One is a commercial site the other two are not. If you have sites you think might be good candidates for downloading metadata add your idea to the sticky thread titled, Plugin ideas... add yours here in the Plugins forum. Maybe some developer will agree and put in the time to develop a metadata download plugin for the suggested site.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote