Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-18-2012, 03:14 AM   #1
mmatting
mmatting can extract oil from cheesemmatting can extract oil from cheesemmatting can extract oil from cheesemmatting can extract oil from cheesemmatting can extract oil from cheesemmatting can extract oil from cheesemmatting can extract oil from cheesemmatting can extract oil from cheesemmatting can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
Question [Paperwhite] Which hacks are working?

Hi, just executed the PW jailbreak successfully. Has anyone tried all those hacks for the KT on the PW yet? Which are working right out of the box? Thanks for hints...
mmatting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:25 AM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatting View Post
Hi, just executed the PW jailbreak successfully. Has anyone tried all those hacks for the KT on the PW yet? Which are working right out of the box? Thanks for hints...
Hallo Matthias,

Take the following with a grain of salt, because I'm still waiting to get my hands on a PW - it hasn't even shipped in the States yet, and then it needs to be re-shipped to Europe... I guess it'll be another two weeks at least.

Anyway:
- Jailbreak is definitely working.
- USBNetwork is definitely working.
- Kindlet Jailbreak is definitely working.
- Collections Manager is definitely working.
- JBPatch is definitely NOT working (well, actually the core might even function, but it's almost guaranteed that none of the patches will work).
- Font Hack has not been tested by anyone so far. I guess that changes are about 50/50 for it to work or fail.
- GUI Launcher has not been tested by anyone so far, but it's highly unlikely that it would work.

That's it for the stuff that I'm aware of, but this list is almost certainly not complete.

Anything which says "untested" above means that only somewhat knowledgeable people can even attempt to install that stuff in the first place, because - fortunately - the publicly available update.bins refuse to run on the PW. Otherwise, we would probably already have amassed hundreds of posts about bricked PWs
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:32 AM   #3
ecksor
Enthusiast
ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle PW
To add:

- CoolReader 3 (HackedUpReader) is definitely working.
ecksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:15 AM   #4
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
How come you're still getting an US version ixtab?
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:23 AM   #5
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akirainblack View Post
How come you're still getting an US version ixtab?
Umm... because it's cheaper and (still) faster?
Old 10-18-2012, 06:39 AM   #6
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cheaper yes, I have to admit I went for peace of mind and ordered one in the UK.
Considering the troubles various of my friends/family have had with the Kindle screen going wrong and the fact the paperwhite uses a new system I wanted the ease of returning mine.
Still it'll arrive in 7 days time, until that time I'll have to be content reading my Touch.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:22 AM   #7
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Cheaper yes, I have to admit I went for peace of mind and ordered one in the UK.
Considering the troubles various of my friends/family have had with the Kindle screen going wrong and the fact the paperwhite uses a new system I wanted the ease of returning mine.
Still it'll arrive in 7 days time, until that time I'll have to be content reading my Touch.
Hehe... mine wouldn't have arrived before December if had preordered it in Europe. And... I have the peace of mind of not using a commercial reshipping company at all - instead one of the dev forum members here was nice enough to agree to take care of that for me. I can't imagine anyone whom I'd trust more for doing a "functional check" before reshipping it - and, in case there really is something wrong, handling a potential replacement before the thing goes transatlantic
Old 10-18-2012, 07:29 AM   #8
Akirainblack
abibliophobic

Makes sense for you then.
My younger brother was meant to have arranged mine the day it was announced in the US.
But as he's a useless fat lazy <expletive deleted> and every time I contacted him regarding it he was "getting it sorted" that day.Until l asked him if it was sorted as the delay on the orders were into november which meant his friend who was bringing it over wouldn't get it in time. At which point I gave up on him.
Still I should be grateful at least if something goes wrong I can return it far more easily now.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #9
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
<...> one of the dev forum members here was nice enough to agree to take care of that for me. I can't imagine anyone whom I'd trust more for doing a "functional check" before reshipping it - and, in case there really is something wrong, handling a potential replacement before the thing goes transatlantic
Well said! Never thought about it in this way, bit it makes a great sense.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yep, all hail the 'MR express' transatlantic courier ^^.

(Because, yeah, while it was slated to ship on oct 25th in the UK, it's on nov 22nd for the rest of Europe. [And, right now, it's delayed even more to dec 3rd in France for example]).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-18-2012 at 11:13 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #11
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Yep, all hail the 'MR express' transatlantic courier ^^.

(Becase, yep, while it was slated to ship on oct 25th in the UK, it's on nov 22nd for the rest of Europe. [And, right now, it's delayed even more to dec 3rd in France for example]).
Yeah, Dec 10 for amazon.de ...

BTW NiLuJe, you wouldn't want to try if JBPatch initializes properly on the PW... or would you? (the patches probably won't work of course, but JBPatch only ever patches anything if the md5sum of the input matches what the patch expects... But to be extra safe, you could just delete all patches.)
Old 10-18-2012, 11:22 AM   #12
Akirainblack
abibliophobic

<Touch wood> Mine is still listed as delivery date of the 25th Oct, but I ordered it the second I found out which was 9am on the day they announced it's release on amazon.co.uk so it should remain that way hopefully.
Plus I'm praying they ship it via DPD, I've a friend who works for them and he's said all I need to do is let him know and it'll be the first thing on the van to be delivered.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #13
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
... Plus I'm praying they ship it via DPD, I've a friend who works for them and he's said all I need to do is let him know and it'll be the first thing on the van to be delivered.
Isn't the first thing on the van also the LAST thing off the van? I would think that the last thing on, right there on the top of the pile, would be the first thing off.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #14
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@ixtab: I'm waiting until I'm finished^Wstarted on porting usbnet to the K5, in order to have a working SSH access on boot before the framework starts... I'm a bit chicken without a way to boot it in recovery mode... ^^
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:23 PM   #15
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@ixtab: I'm waiting until I'm finished^Wstarted on porting usbnet to the K5, in order to have a working SSH access on boot before the framework starts... I'm a bit chicken without a way to boot it in recovery mode... ^^
Oh, that's not a big deal. You can test all of this by only issuing start/stop framework commands (well, at least on the Touch, that is). No need to reboot the entire thing, and SSH stays connected all the time. That's the good thing with a "pure Java" app

Tags
hacks, jailbreak, paperwhite